Preview Round 21, 2016 - Brisbane Lions vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy for us to shelf Schache for the rest of the year tbh. Been a very impressive debut year but that workload will be taking the toll. Give him a week or two off then let him dominate in the reserves until his break.
Would you let him run around in the twos? I don't know about that one. Personally I would just let him get the body back to feeling 100% so that when it comes to pre-season he's ready to go.

Would you let him run around in the twos? I don't know about that one. Personally I would just let him get the body back to feeling 100% so that when it comes to pre-season he's ready to go.

Probably the better option but I feel like he's 100% okay to play, just battling at senior level. I think it'd be fine for him to play a couple ressies games and be good for his ego/confidence to to have a big game or two at a lower level but I guess shelving him completely is the safer option.

So Men and women of the Brisbane/Fitzroy Lion faith!

We have been here before!

I was born a stone throw from Brunswick St, I’m a North Fitzroy-tonian through and through!

I’ve fought in the trenches at the Junction Oval;
I have stood proud whilst being spat at amongst the Ferrals in the Rush Stand at Victoria Park;
Stuck it up the silver tails at Carlton;
Hurled abuse in the Animal Enclosure at Moorabbin;
Shouldered my way through the drunken bearded red and black beanie wearers at Windy Hill; and
Been chased by country campaigners at Kardinia Park

Despite all that- We've all sung the songs of victory on the terraces and in the club rooms. I've led the charge brandishing the Lion colours of past and present, through thick and thin, and when the only score that counted was the one settled by fists I was there outside Princess Park - albeit after Roosy beat the Ferrals in 93.

Let us all run to this fight and help this great club turn it around. Pull your collective socks up, roll up your sleeves up and lets work hard and support this young group as hard as we can from here!! We better than anyone know what i srequired in times like these and-

Things can turn around very quickly

Can we win this game! YES
Will we? NO
Carlton by 39points.

The whole preview was excellent blackpowerlappin..

....but the above bit is what made me laugh and love your optimism.

I can just hear old Winny Churchill himself sprouting out those words, chest puffed out, We Will Not be Beaten!

Well done:D

Last edited:
Will Cutler be playing back or forward this game?

Seemed to be coming good down back and then if I remember rightly got thrown forward and didn't do that much and then got dropped.

The super coach/ fantasy football muppets will be delighted that Martin is playing. Nice to see Leppa pick him just to please them. We might have the slowest side ever put on a football field... So top heavy.. Maybe just keep the ball in the air where we can mark it and Carlton can't run off!

Will Cutler be playing back or forward this game?

Seemed to be coming good down back and then if I remember rightly got thrown forward and didn't do that much and then got dropped.
Cuts was injured not dropped (i think).I hope he plays down back. First game forward he kicked 2 goals. Second game not so well but lets be honest it would be impossible to have a good game in our forward half at the moment.

Cuts was injured not dropped (i think).I hope he plays down back. First game forward he kicked 2 goals. Second game not so well but lets be honest it would be impossible to have a good game in our forward half at the moment.
No, he played ressies last week.

I really hope this is the game that Close is trialled down back, about zero percent chance of it happening but i rate him as a player and don't see a spot available for him up forward with Shache, Hipwood and Walker about.

We are so big and tall this week. Hopefully Clayton comes in for Hammer.

We're now at a stage where winning would have a bigger negative impact on the club long term than losing. We are mounting a case for a priority pick that is growing momentum beat Carlton and that is gone. Leppitsch is useless as a coach, win and with the stupidity at board level we have they'd probably keep him another year.

At the moment not sure where most players are at because they either have no confidence or are in the wrong position.

With selection then for this week
IN: Cutler, Close, anyone
OUT: Robertson, Hammelman, Lester (all dropped), Schache*

*Schache is really showing signs of a long debut season. I would like to see him given the rest of the season off to get him right for the preseason and give Close the last 3 games up forward. Schache is vital for us over the next 10 years, the next 3 games in the scheme of that don't matter. Getting a few games into Close does matter.

Cutler was screwed over being dropped last week and given the performance of the team if he isn't recalled it shows how dumb Leppitsch and the coaching panel really are.

Cutler is easily our best flanker.

I'd like to see Keays finally move out of the forward line and into the middle. Why is Keays not ready but Mathieson is? They both win a stack of contested ball and are about as physically developed as each other. Perfect week to give him a full game in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People will not like this opinion but I am worried that Schache may be another Brennan (or Headland). He has not looked like a player in any of the games I have seen. We all know key position players take longer so that the only thing that gives me any confidence that he may be a player.

People will not like this opinion but I am worried that Schache may be another Brennan (or Headland). He has not looked like a player in any of the games I have seen. We all know key position players take longer so that the only thing that gives me any confidence that he may be a player.
can't agree, IMO he looked like he is going to be an absolute champion in most of his games, it's only the last few that he has looked like he is playing tired which is understandable for an 18 year old key forward who most weeks got the number 1 defender, you only have to look at other key forwards in their first year to see what is the norm.

I'd like to see Keays finally move out of the forward line and into the middle. Why is Keays not ready but Mathieson is? They both win a stack of contested ball and are about as physically developed as each other. Perfect week to give him a full game in the middle.

I agree it's time to give Keays a run through the middle. Start him on the wing and although he is not overly quick he can find the ball and last week was his best game for the club. Wouldn't mind seeing Squizz have a run on a wing for a bit as well. Try to get him involved and maybe getting a bit of ball might lift his confidence. One thing is for sure we could do with an injection of pace through the middle.

Taylor will have a good game as he just signed a contract :)
Maybe we should give him a go in the ruck although pretty sure that we classed as tanking :) It be very funny to watch though :)

I agree maybe Close in the backline he has a bigger body. Give Keays and Cutler a run through the mids.

Interesting that none of the defenders who let in 177 points get dropped. Poor Jackson Paine ain't even getting a chance to show if he's got anything to offer the club. Instead we persist with rookies in key posts. No coincidence that since we've persisted with rookies playing KPD were averting the worst points against all season. Leppa is not trying to win.

Interesting that none of the defenders who let in 177 points get dropped. Poor Jackson Paine ain't even getting a chance to show if he's got anything to offer the club. Instead we persist with rookies in key posts. No coincidence that since we've persisted with rookies playing KPD were averting the worst points against all season. Leppa is not trying to win.
He doesn't want to drop any of our senior midfield brigade either. I know he will say that because of all the injuried we can't afford to drop them but when they won't run defensively and not get dropped then they thinkk they never will get dropped. Don't get me started when Hanley gave away that 50m penalty and was still giving it to the umpire and not even looking at the player who kicked the goal (didn't even get pulled to the boundary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back