Preview Round 21, 2016 - Brisbane Lions vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are so big and tall this week. Hopefully Clayton comes in for Hammer.
That's good to hear. I was worried that we had gone too tall with our team.
We've got Casboult, Kreuzer, Phillips, Rowe, Jones, Weitering, White, Plowman, Silvagni and Cripps all 190+cm.
Should be an interesting game. I wouldn't be happy with a loss and not sure If I'd be happy with a close win, but the way that we've been traveling lately, a win is a win.
Good luck.

Reading the match report from last week's reserves game Close was used behind the ball to try and stem the flow. I know he hasn't played a lot of games but he plays like a much older and experienced player. Coming back from his knee reconstruction he has taken nearly the entire season to regain his fitness(no surprise there). I would love him to finish off the season well and be a big part of our future. This week he may just show he can play at either end of the ground. Go Lions!

Happy with the changes although once again we go very tall up forward. Close, Hipwood, Walker plus a resting ruck although I'd expect Martin to play a bit down back TBH.

It seems like the obvious problem, unless we somehow miraculously dominate in the midfield like the Essendon game, then we will get caught out way to easily.

We already looked to tall and slow the last couple of weeks.

People will not like this opinion but I am worried that Schache may be another Brennan (or Headland). He has not looked like a player in any of the games I have seen. We all know key position players take longer so that the only thing that gives me any confidence that he may be a player.

I do have some concerns about Schache but I wouldn't be comparing him to Brennan or Headland. My comparison would be - as much as some of our fans won't like it - to Jack Watts. A naturally gifted footballer who seems like a really nice person, but doesn't necessarily have that super competitive / tough instinct (compare Schache to Darcy Moore for instance). It therefore will take him a while to find his feet.

However, he is still hasn't even turned 19, so it is still way too early to judge. He also showed enough glimpses to suggest he is super talented. Yeah he is never going to be a Browny, but we need him to work on his hardness at the ball. Still he could end up being someone like Jack Riewoldt, who also looked somewhat soft early in his career.

Interesting that none of the defenders who let in 177 points get dropped. Poor Jackson Paine ain't even getting a chance to show if he's got anything to offer the club. Instead we persist with rookies in key posts. No coincidence that since we've persisted with rookies playing KPD were averting the worst points against all season. Leppa is not trying to win.
It's also no coincidence that we concede 70+ inside 50's against GWS, Port & Adelaide (compared to the league average which is closer to 50 per game) because very few of the supposed more senior players in the midfield are 2-way runners and put defensive pressure on... It's a bit rough to put all the blame on a young defence who need AFL experience if they are to improve when their senior counterparts aren't helping them at all by letting opposition teams run right through them. I'd say even a backline led by Alex Rance would still have a lot of trouble against those inside 50 numbers - for reference, Richmond conceded 64 inside 50's when GWS towelled them up by 90pts 2 rounds ago...

Paine had a chance mid-season and should feel hard done by to perhaps not be back in the team, but there shouldn't just be an automatic witch hunt on a young defence when the issue is clearly much more systemic than that.

It's also no coincidence that we concede 70+ inside 50's against GWS, Port & Adelaide (compared to the league average which is closer to 50 per game) because very few of the supposed more senior players in the midfield are 2-way runners and put defensive pressure on... It's a bit rough to put all the blame on a young defence who need AFL experience if they are to improve when their senior counterparts aren't helping them at all by letting opposition teams run right through them. I'd say even a backline led by Alex Rance would still have a lot of trouble against those inside 50 numbers - for reference, Richmond conceded 64 inside 50's when GWS towelled them up by 90pts 2 rounds ago...

Paine had a chance mid-season and should feel hard done by to perhaps not be back in the team, but there shouldn't just be an automatic witch hunt on a young defence when the issue is clearly much more systemic than that.
great 1st post, welcome to BF.

I'd like to see Keays finally move out of the forward line and into the middle. Why is Keays not ready but Mathieson is? They both win a stack of contested ball and are about as physically developed as each other. Perfect week to give him a full game in the middle.
Agree and Walker and Close need to be trialled back half in their own interests if nothing else,as they probably wont hold down a forward post in the longer term given their competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif

Walked past the Gabba on my walk today (43km total, I can do a perfect zombie walk right now) and there were so many carlton fans walking out of what I assume was an open training session.

We are totally going to get outnumbered at our own ground again.

Which will make it that much sweeter when we win.

That's right.

We're going to win tomorrow. Don't ask me how, but I just know we're going to come away with the four points.

Walked past the Gabba on my walk today (43km total, I can do a perfect zombie walk right now) and there were so many carlton fans walking out of what I assume was an open training session.

That's right.

We're going to win tomorrow. Don't ask me how, but I just know we're going to come away with the four points.
Was it you that had a feeling we were going to beat Port aswell a few weeks ago?

Was it you that had a feeling we were going to beat Port aswell a few weeks ago?

Don't think so. I knew that was going to be a schmozzle.

I have predicted a few miracles though, back in 2012 against the Crows and we hadn't kicked a goal in the first term I was telling everyone we were going to win. No one listened to me though. I was right.

And don't get me started on a certain club champion...

That's right.

43 kms? Wowzers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back