Preview Round 21, 2021: St.Kilda v Sydney - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 7th August, 7:40PM AEST *PRIDE GAME* *COFFIELD 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Swans

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed some shots but 15 i50's suggests that he is being asked to play further up the field so goals from him may not be the highest priority from the selectors.

The fact that he stayed and Long was dropped confirms that he doing better at what ever it is the coaches are asking both to do.

Yeah, whatever it is he seems to have him covered in every area. Last three weeks:

Disposals: Long 26; Kent 44
Marks: Long 8; Kent 15
Inside 50s: Long 1; Kent 12
Scoring shots: Long 2; Kent 4
Tackles: Long 7; Kent 11

Not sure Kent's doing great but the comparison looks pretty bad for Longy.

I like Ratts but Kent has been terrible the last couple of weeks after being pretty good against Brissy.

He's had far more of the ball than we would wish for.

Last week 6 kicks, 2 effective. The two weeks prior he had 9 kicks, 4 effective.

45% kicking efficiency, probably our biggest issue is ball use and handing the ball back to our opponents… Kent is 27 YO, it's not like we need to persevere to see if he'll come good… this is it, the finished article.

Kent kicking the ball inside 50 isn't a good thing.

Long was invisible but then so was Butler last week.

I like Ratts but Kent has been terrible the last couple of weeks after being pretty good against Brissy.

He's had far more of the ball than we would wish for.

Last week 6 kicks, 2 effective. The two weeks prior he had 9 kicks, 4 effective.

45% kicking efficiency, probably our biggest issue is ball use and handing the ball back to our opponents… Kent is 27 YO, it's not like we need to persevere to see if he'll come good… this is it, the finished article.

Kent kicking the ball inside 50 isn't a good thing.

Long was invisible but then so was Butler last week.

Not much competition for spots.

2020 / 2021
Kent has registered 53 inside 50's for 6 goal assists.
So on average we kick 1 goal with every 9 inside 50's
Last 8 games he's had 24 inside 50's for 0 goal assists, so he could have 10 / game and we're still not winning at that rate.

Kent and Long are playing different roles. The problem I have with Kent being in the side is Kent was playing Higgins' role, and now Higgins is back.

They've taken Long out, so I'm not sure who plays the pressure forward now. Ideally with everyone fit, I like Geary as the pressure forward, Higgins as the hit-up high half forward, and Butler as the crumbing forward.

Stop moaning on Kent, look beyond stats his body work to stop the oppostion backman helped Kingy against WC probably added 2 or 3 goals from creating space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pointless moaning about Kent anyway... We don't have a better replacement so it doesn't really matter.

Sure we can drop kent and bring in Lonie but then next week people will be saying drop Lonie.
I guess that’s how selection integrity works. Drop guys if they are stinking it up for players who are performing in the 2’s...

Long's career looks cooked
Not so sure about that! He's got the Dud [Kent] covered in every way. He can mark, run, handball, kick goals. Some mention Kents "bodywork". I don't see "bodywork" from Kent, I see him getting in the way, miscalculating where he should be to get to the play. You get to see real "bodywork" from Long, and the opposition feel it!

Last edited:
I guess that’s how selection integrity works. Drop guys if they are stinking it up for players who are performing in the 2’s...

Yeah of course but what has Lonie done to push his case?

Had a good game about a month ago and that's it. At this point, I think we're better off sticking with someone. It's just been chop and change again and again and it's not working

Man we are really playing the kids. Leo and Sharman getting games this week.. neither is AFL standard yet but we are investing in the future.

This is pretty much as close as you get to tanking. Still hope we have a good crack this week, would be nice to see something over the last three weeks of the season to get excited about.

We've got a good Kent replacement already lined up. He's medium height, strong as a bull, brings more tackle pressure than anyone else in the side, is a great snap around the body and a decent set shot, can take a contested mark one on one. Jack Steele! If Bytel really is better than Dunstan then Dunstan, Bytel, Crouch should be a perfectly adequate midfield with Steele coming back to the midfield when we need a lift here and there. There's still Byrnes and Jones who can do the inside work.

We've got a good Kent replacement already lined up. He's medium height, strong as a bull, brings more tackle pressure than anyone else in the side, is a great snap around the body and a decent set shot, can take a contested mark one on one. Jack Steele! If Bytel really is better than Dunstan then Dunstan, Bytel, Crouch should be a perfectly adequate midfield with Steele coming back to the midfield when we need a lift here and there. There's still Byrnes and Jones who can do the inside work.
Steele is a midfielder.

Steele is a midfielder.
he could be dusty. when he goes into the midfield, guaranteed clearance and effective kick inside 50 but when he's forward guaranteed goals. Throw him wherever he's needed best. When Richmond has depth in their midfield they play the crap players there and as long as they're coping they get free goals from dusty. When the midfield struggles they bring dusty back there and he gets to work. Steele can do that.

Man we are really playing the kids. Leo and Sharman getting games this week.. neither is AFL standard yet but we are investing in the future.

This is pretty much as close as you get to tanking. Still hope we have a good crack this week, would be nice to see something over the last three weeks of the season to get excited about.
Bit tough on Leo and Cooper. The games Leo’s been able to play will be huge for his future development. Plays with a lot of flair and X factor and the more games we get into him the quicker he’ll adapt and put it all together.
Cooper got 40% game time in his first real game and managed 3-4 shots on goal. Definitely kept his spot and very much looks AFL quality

Leo and sharman not afl standard? And yet they were better than half the team last week.

Ratten been a breathe of fresh air to what we have had at the club , first year took us to finals and this year with the amount of injuries we have had you can't expect to do miracles.
His coaching and selection's at times have been mystifying but no way in the world does the bloke deserve the crap that is said about him on here.
When things don't workout we as supporters are meant to support not criticize every move that is made.
After being at Hawthorn for 3 flags and having Rath as his right hand man who is said to be one of the best in producing a game strategy I have faith we have the best man for the job.
After totally changing our squad just about in 2 years no doubt the team has to gel and this year with the turn over of players and injuries no way in the world could he achieve his goals.
One thing for sure we have been able to blood a lot of players that most probably would not even be considered if we had a full squad.
After a shocking year being one game out of the 8 is unbelievable - imagine if we had Ryder , Marshall , Jones , Paton and Gresham at the start of the season - we would be in the 8.

Please have faith in what is happening at the club because just looking at our list and the talent we have we are heading in the right direction.
Fantastic post!! it's a shame we don't have more positive people like you in this forum.

Bit tough on Leo and Cooper. The games Leo’s been able to play will be huge for his future development. Plays with a lot of flair and X factor and the more games we get into him the quicker he’ll adapt and put it all together.
Cooper got 40% game time in his first real game and managed 3-4 shots on goal. Definitely kept his spot and very much looks AFL quality
That's exactly what I'm saying, it's good we are getting games into them but in my opinion they're not helping us win. Which is fine, they need experience.

he could be dusty. when he goes into the midfield, guaranteed clearance and effective kick inside 50 but when he's forward guaranteed goals. Throw him wherever he's needed best. When Richmond has depth in their midfield they play the crap players there and as long as they're coping they get free goals from dusty. When the midfield struggles they bring dusty back there and he gets to work. Steele can do that.
He doesnt need to be Dusty.

He's already Jack Steele, the best 2 way midfielder in the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back