Prediction Round 21 Changes vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

A test for Johnson, but seems no qualms about it.
He will play in Fyes place.
Something curious JL said in the 7 interview yesterday that was a slight departure from the usual spiel (unusual part boldened, note that there's several ums and yeahs that have been redacted):

Q: If Nat doesn't get off tonight, is it as simple as Matt Johnson coming back in?

A: We'll have to get through training and see how Johnno pulls up and see how much game time he's up for this weekend, so we still gotta work that out, but if Fyfey doesn't get up, we got plenty of options and we'll be able to re-jig the team.

Something curious JL said in the 7 interview yesterday that was a slight departure from the usual spiel (unusual part boldened, note that there's several ums and yeahs that have been redacted):

Q: If Nat doesn't get off tonight, is it as simple as Matt Johnson coming back in?

A: We'll have to get through training and see how Johnno pulls up and see how much game time he's up for this weekend, so we still gotta work that out, but if Fyfey doesn't get up, we got plenty of options and we'll be able to re-jig the team.
Johnson sub

Aish emergency

Brodie for fyfe

The way I read the use of "off the ball" in the context of the rule, is meaning away from the actual play, not literally pushing someone off the ball...
for example "He hit him off the ball" means behind the play....
Ah yes. Well, now I feel a little foolish.

Interesting comment from JL. Doesn’t sound like Johnson is ready for a full game at AFL level.
There could be several different combinations.
Maybe JOM into Fyfes role, Aish to the wing and Johnson Sub
Or Johnson a week at Peel and NOD onto the wing(BOG for Peel last week), JOM into Fyfes role and Aish stays sub for flexibility.
Or one of Ras/Brodie into Fyfes role as a straight swap.
we’ll find out the extended squad today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just be Johnson, if he gets up, for Fyfe. I imagine Aish stays sub as he's versatile.
If Johnson isn't fit could be Aish starting with Erasmus as Sub and O'Meara plays inside more.

I can see Erasmus starting in the midfield, as the inside extractor.

I think Longmuir likes to keep the same balance, and I am not sure a midfield with Brayshaw, Serong, Aish and Young has enough ability to get the ball out.

Erasmus big skill is great fitness, so not great as the sub.

In my opinion it will either be Johnson or Erasmus replacing Fyfe in the midfield, with all other roles staying pretty much the same.

I hope Erasmus gets a shot.

Edit: It looks like Johnson has not trained, so won't play.

Perfect game to play Brodie, proven inside extractor, excellent handballer, great tackler, kicks better than Fyfe and we don't lose anything defensively (wasn't there anyway).
Johnson coming back against Geelong the following week is better value.

Perfect game to play Brodie, proven inside extractor, excellent handballer, great tackler, kicks better than Fyfe and we don't lose anything defensively (wasn't there anyway).
Johnson coming back against Geelong the following week is better value.

I have Erasmus ahead of Brodie, but agree one of them should play.

Will be interesting to see who is selected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 21 Changes vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back