Prediction Round 21 Changes vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Appeal but not based on logic, find some loophole technicality. That’s the way to win these things
It'd be interesting to see a comparison of our record in appeals vs all the other clubs. It certainly feels some clubs have a much better run with the appeals process than others.

Admittedly it's from a layman's perspective, but I've never been impressed by the quality of argument we've put forward at the appeals.

Gleeson said, re intention and in line with the rules, that "Fyfe's intention was at least to push Culley off the ball to gain separation."

I ask - what ****ing ball?

Do it again, Gleeson, you decrepit fool.

Gleeson said, re intention and in line with the rules, that "Fyfe's intention was at least to push Culley off the ball to gain separation."

Its an absurdly badly structured rule which should be challenged on that basis alone. They way it's worded it means Fyfe gets a week for a player running over to him and getting him in the face when he tried to ward him off ('intentional', low impact, high), but if Culley had slipped high on Fyfe (careless or negligent, low impact, high) it'd have been a fine at the most just because he wasn't trying to 'gain' separation.

Its an absurdly badly structured rule which should be challenged on that basis alone. They way it's worded it means Fyfe gets a week for a player running over to him and getting him in the face when he tried to ward him off ('intentional', low impact, high), but if Culley had slipped high on Fyfe (careless or negligent, low impact, high) it'd have been a fine at the most just because he wasn't trying to 'gain' separation.

How did Hogan get off earlier in the year with just a fine.

That was a hit to the back of head.

How did Hogan get off earlier in the year with just a fine.

That was a hit to the back of head.
I dont know the official wording but in the west's article in says the new regulations state contact to the face is classed as intentional. I wonder if the fact he hit him in the back of the head, rather than the face, got him off on a technicality?

We really should dismantle these pretenders - Essendon doing what they've done for 20 years and that's effectively a kid holding a leaking balloon while giggling at the fart noises it makes as all the air escapes at speed.

On the other hand, we're in form and just played a team that prepared for us like it was their GF - they outbodied us early, rattled us in front of a decent WC supporter base and we still clawed our way back and picked them apart to win comfortably. Yes the bodies will be sore but they've got an 8-day break.

We've got a strong away record particularly in Melbourne.

Time to destroy their finals hopes for the 21st year.

It's probably good for Fyfe to miss this game, it really is perfect timing for him to take a break, away game with four H&A games to go. He never would have volunteered to have a week off no matter how he felt, and him getting subbed clearly shows they're trying to manage his minutes.

Hopefully this sets the champ up for a massive run home.

I reckon you're right, though it's hard to say without having access to the transcript of the proceedings. Gotta keep in mid that "gain[ing] separation for the purpose of contesting the ball" is a specification of "intend[ing] to forcefully push or fend an opposition player", rather than a definition. But, if Gleeson actually stated that, "Fyfe's intention was at least to push Culley off the ball to gain separation", then that does seem to be an error of fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generally so surprised touch wood that Fyfe has managed the season this well so far. Whatever work behind the scenes that's going on, credit where credit is due
I think he has done a lot of it himself, like seeking out alternative medicines in India

I also believe they have found a gem in the club's current psychologist, going by the interviews on Better Down Back

I think he has done a lot of it himself, like seeking out alternative medicines in India

I also believe they have found a gem in the club's current psychologist, going by the interviews on Better Down Back

Agreed, they've all talked at length about how good the psych has been for them

Agreed, they've all talked at length about how good the psych has been for them
Two of the most remarkable interviews have been JOM's and JT's. I highly recommend supporters listen to them, especially men. What JOM has been able to overcome shows what strength he has.

The way I read the use of "off the ball" in the context of the rule, is meaning away from the actual play, not literally pushing someone off the ball...
for example "He hit him off the ball" means behind the play....

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 21 Changes vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back