Game Day Round 21 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:30pm Saturday 03/08 #SP400

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re on 40 points. Swans were on 34 points this time last year and made finals.

Collingwood are winners, and winners don’t give up until it’s over.
As much as I applaud your enthusiasm your facts are incorrect.

Swans were on 38 points after round 20, in tenth spot on percentage and half a game out of the eight. Opponents on the run home included Suns and Crows. They also fell into the eight because the dogs lost to lowly hawthorn and west coast on the run home, as well as reigning premier geelong just ahead of them in ninth losing their last three games.

Collingwood have three opponents ahead of us OUTSIDE the eight and assuming we manage to pass all them by some sort of miracle are still a game and significant percentage behind 8th with four games remaining.

Plus it goes without saying our opponents are currently placed 1,2, 4 and 10 on the ladder and we will likely need to win them all. So will need a bit of luck in terms of wheels falling off at a few other clubs just above us on the ladder.

Darcy has to play on Curnow, but allow him to run right up to the arc to get his marks. Make him earn it. Too often the Blues rely on defenders chasing their forwards to clear the 50 and then have someone like Owies run into an empty goal.

Ned Long to man Kennedy for mine - he's a good physical and speed matchup, would be a good negator
Call me crazy but I'd put Shoota on Owies - two small angry men who could chase down each other
IQ back onto Motlop
We absolutely need Cox to provide a threat to Weitering to stop him intercepting, bung foot and all
And if Freddie could come back and keep McGovern occupied it stretches their backline with McStay set to dominate (they could try to push Lewis Young back but then their forward line would be stacked with smalls)

Crispy is the only one who could possibly go with Cripps I reckon, for both pace and physicality. Pendles always said he finished a game like he was run over by a truck whenever he matched up on Cripps.

I really see our centre clearance work being the key, as well as isolating their backs like Port did.

Cmon Pies, season nearly over but we still have work to do.
Would be tempted to plonk Freddie as a negator on Weitering. Think with his speed and agility he could shut him down nicely.

Point being, I have never seen Cripps play a bad game against the pies. On most occassions he is the difference. If you nulify him, the rest of the flock are clueless and lost. We have a much better chance of winning.
Agree. I’d definitely be putting time into Cripps. Given Cincotta will hang off Nick all day, Nick will be in prime position to run some interference on Crippa, creating a 1v2 that would free up one of our other guys.

Even this year when we drew to play one bottom four side…. It was Hawthorn who in 2024 aren’t playing like a bottom four side at all!!
LOL - my conspiracy theory says the people who put the fixture together know Collingwood struggle and have always struggled against the hawks. So they make sure that is the bottom 6 side that we always play twice .

That big loss of % against the Hawks will really cost us.
At least we can start next season planning earlier this year.

Plus it goes without saying our opponents are currently placed 1,2, 4 and 10 on the ladder and we will likely need to win them all. So will need a bit of luck in terms of wheels falling off at a few other clubs just above us on the ladder.

So we both agree that there’s a non-zero chance of Collingwood making finals?

In which case, shouldn’t the club be doing everything to turn that chance into a reality? It would be a damn entertaining ride if they pulled it off.

The Doggies owe us for getting them into the finals in 2022 I reckon.

In which case, shouldn’t the club be doing everything to turn that chance into a reality? It would be a damn entertaining ride if they pulled it off.
When has anybody indicated that a Collingwood football department would not act in the best interests of the club, its employees and members.

When has anybody indicated that a Collingwood football department would not act in the best interests of the club, its employees and members.

Dunno about “would” but plenty of folks in this forum are advocating that Collingwood “should” give up on the 2024 season and focus on 2025.

I don’t disagree with that, just with the facts you presented

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We actually have selection dilemmas for this week. It's been a while since we had such choice.
Beau surely comes in for HH.
After this, we have Kreugs and Markov also available, and Charlie Dean played a great game in the VFL last week.
Do we need Charlie to come in to play in defence, alongside Howe and Darcy with our traditional 3 tall set up? This might be necessary against Carlton's twin towers.
We also have Joe Richards available. Will he come in, since JDG most likely won't play?
Is there room for Kreuger to play alongside Dan?
Ed Allan played a great game in the VFL last week, but we might want him to play another before selecting him in the senior side.
It is refreshing to have multiple choices this week.
The main focus needs to be of course how to configure our midfield so that it can stop Carlton's from dominating.

Good luck this week Pies, do it for Pendles. Im a rare breed in that I quite like both Collingwood and Carlton, but Pendles is probably in my top 5 favourite non hawks in 35 years of watching football so im on your train this week.

How he never won a Brownlow is baffling. Champion player and fantastic person.

Hope you all have a cracking day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back