Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So disappointing.
Should have put them away in the first quarter. Our finishing spot on the ladder just got more complex than before today’s game.

I do wonder sometimes (this is for any football team not just us) how teams can look all at sea against the opposition sometimes. I know there is probably some “sports science” reason for it - but it still mystifies me as an individual.

From watching the game it looked like at times Rayner was trying to bust through multiple players at once. A good idea at times but not always practical.

Seems like I have seen this before against GWS in a crunch game, kick twice as many behinds than goals
We seem to get totally psyched out by the Giants.

The end of the first quarter and the first few minutes of the second were telling.

3 behinds to us , 3 goals to them.

Changed the entire feel of the game.

On the play in the first quarter we should have been 10 goals up and the game done.

Instead, after 3 minutes into the second, the margin was 2 goals.

Still shaking my head our utter profligacy in front of the sticks

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot of big egos on the field this week, most of who didn't deliver.
Saw that a couple of times.

Trying to do the things they'd been reading about themselves doing.

Rather get the wake up call now than in a final.

But we see it time and again in AFL. Not capitalising on dominance is a killer.

It only takes being off by a few percent to get punished. Giants were hungrier and far more clinical around the ball and in front of the sticks.

Effort was disappointing after quarter time but the giants were always gonna come back after such a poor start. Hopefully this loss is the slap in the face we need going into finals.

The questions that the media were asking of Hipwoods spot on the best 22 have been answered. Need him and Payne back asap.

Bad kicking for goal was the problem obviously . Was disappointed that Oscar wasn't take to able advantage of his match up, I think Smith actually did better on the ruck than he did. Ah well, move on to next week.
The ruck was frustrating to watch today. They just barged over the line straight into Oscar and he didn't seem to react to this very well. Also there was a lot of jumper grabbing, which wasn't noticed or just let go by the umps.

No but of all games today was a day for Harris to play on his man and just be tight and disciplined. Letting Joyce shoulder the load of the Coleman medallist was poor leadership.
I agree Harris wasn’t great but clearly was a plan from the coaches for Joyce to lock down so Harris could intercept which is what he’s good at. In the end they both got beaten

I agree Harris wasn’t great but clearly was a plan from the coaches for Joyce to lock down so Harris could intercept which is what he’s good at. In the end they both got beaten
Also, Hogan is in excellent form. Need an extra third tall but there are none available for selection.

Understandably looked a bit tired today.. it’s been a good run after a poor start to the year that heaped the pressure on us.
Right time for a reset and perhaps to find a bit more pace in the back half. Not going to call out individual players, we all know who the focus is on moving forward and who we need to change up.
Maybe we lost it at the selection table but injuries forced our hand to some extent.
Very slow to use the sub today tactically inefficient.
Hoping for better next week

Goal kicking really let us down, but am confident we can get that right.

Harris and Joe won't have nightmares at the same time again.

Hipwood and Payne back soon.

Now we have no choice but to beat arch rivals Collingwood and the Bombers.

Still believe this team will get there. It was anything but a Sydney style collapse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No but of all games today was a day for Harris to play on his man and just be tight and disciplined. Letting Joyce shoulder the load of the Coleman medallist was poor leadership.

Don’t agree with this at all. I think we were confused on our approach and it didn’t help anyone.

Harris was hesitant, and badly outpointed at times whilst we got nothing out of his intercept marking.

Put the scrub on hogan, get Harris involved and confident rather than having him in two minds about covering hogan and intercepting.

Goal kicking really let us down, but am confident we can get that right.

Harris and Joe won't have nightmares at the same time again.

Hipwood and Payne back soon.

Now we have no choice but to beat arch rivals Collingwood and the Bombers.

Still believe this team will get there. It was anything but a Sydney style collapse.
I wasn't disappointed in the effort.

We got overrun because we'd spent all our tickets and didn't put it on the scoreboard.

Simple really . They had their birthday today.

Really need Freo to fight back this game and pinch the win.

Kicked ourselves out of that.

Basically carrying Joyce and Henry, depth isn’t quite there for those KP players.

Top 2 is gone if Freo don’t win this game, if they win we require some results to go our way.

Thought Harris looked tired or unwell today .

Just wasn’t himself ,

Really don’t want to play the Giants in finals either. They have our number lately.
I don't agree with this. Them being the opposition had nothing to do with our poor goal kicking. We got plenty of opportunities and dominated them around the ground.

Sure I guess you could say "have our number" just on raw W/L column but I'd love to play them again because statistically it's incredibly unlikely for them to go 13.4 to our 8.16, again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back