Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What would you have done differently?
Yeah good question. There were times I saw Zorko running with him, which definitely is not the play.

I admit we do struggle with those small, nippy players and obviously we can’t clone Starce. Wilmot was really our only match up, but you do lose a bit of run if you tell him to sit on someone.

For the amount of half backs we have, we do lack lightning quick ones to sit on those nippy half forwards.

Joyce was ok for a good majority of the game.

He's also got a jaw injury.

Not blaming him. Wasn't a lot he could do near the end , he took a couple of risky kicks which isn't his go and unfortunately neither paid off.
Thought Joyce’s defence itself was ok enough during the game to persist with, but **** me you don’t want him kicking the ball for you, and unfortunately that’s a large part of the game.

Really need Freo to fight back this game and pinch the win.

Kicked ourselves out of that.

Basically carrying Joyce and Henry, depth isn’t quite there for those KP players.

Top 2 is gone if Freo don’t win this game, if they win we require some results to go our way.
Top two is done and the golden ticket ride to the GF with that arrogant spineless display if Geelong win today. They’ve got Saints at Marcel and West Coast in Geelong and the chance to finish top two is done. Absolutely gutted that the club threw this away and potential golden chance at reaching the GF.

Even if we were to finish in third or fourth, then that’s basically two games in Sydney and Geelong.

Hate to say it but the GF was thrown away today.

And playing two rucks against the Giants; don’t tell me we’ve reverted back to losing games at the selection table?

Yeah good question. There were times I saw Zorko running with him, which definitely is not the play.

I admit we do struggle with those small, nippy players and obviously we can’t clone Starce. Wilmot was really our only match up, but you do lose a bit of run if you tell him to sit on someone.

For the amount of half backs we have, we do lack lightning quick ones to sit on those nippy half forwards.

Brain was on him. Problem is we don’t have enough lock down backs.

Andrews and Joyce struggled, Lester did nothing, Zorko got beaten, Wilmot didn’t use it great and Brain intercepted but played too loose at a crucial time

Need to get a small back in with a better balance

I don't agree with this. Them being the opposition had nothing to do with our poor goal kicking. We got plenty of opportunities and dominated them around the ground.

Sure I guess you could say "have our number" just on raw W/L column but I'd love to play them again because statistically it's incredibly unlikely for them to go 13.4 to our 8.16, again.
After quarter time, I personally felt they were dominating.

Andrews and Joyce struggled, Lester did nothing, Zorko got beaten, Wilmot didn’t use it great and Brain intercepted but played too loose at a crucial time

Answerth now that he has tidied up his disposal and decision making.

Kiddy a big absence. How about the moron Kingy claiming that we are better with Henry Smith over Hippy.

After quarter time, I personally felt they were dominating.
Oh they absoluted dominated the first 3-5 minutes of the 2nd quarter, no doubt. I felt the rest was rather even, a proper tussle but we ended up with enough chances up front to win and couldn't capitialise.

They kicked 8.1 after HT to our 2.8. So it really highlights how close the contest was after both teams had periods of dominance in the first and second respectively. Game was lost on our inaccuracy and their superb accuracy.

Don’t agree with this at all. I think we were confused on our approach and it didn’t help anyone.

Harris was hesitant, and badly outpointed at times whilst we got nothing out of his intercept marking.

Put the scrub on hogan, get Harris involved and confident rather than having him in two minds about covering hogan and intercepting.
To me that was the issue but... He needed to choose, he couldn't do both which is what he tried to do at times.

Hogan was the most dangerous forward for most of the game, as our best defender by far the choice should have been simple really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me that was the issue but... He needed to choose, he couldn't do both which is what he tried to do at times.

Hogan was the most dangerous forward for most of the game, as our best defender by far the choice should have been simple really.

I actually don’t think Harris is a great lockdown defender in general.

Obviously it’s easier for him to play off when Payne is fit, but he’s so much better when he has the confidence to leave his man and impact the contest.

Hogan had 3 anyway with Harris trying to mind him most of the game - we got nothing out of the matchup and it let Cafman run free as well.

Surely this Henry Smith thing is done, if you big and a liability on the ground you need to take contested marks. Imagine Bruce would have been handy today- calm finisher in front of goal too.

Joyce was ok for a good majority of the game.

He's also got a jaw injury.

Not blaming him. Wasn't a lot he could do near the end , he took a couple of risky kicks which isn't his go and unfortunately neither paid off.
I agree. Our defence didn’t lose it for us. We lost because we were killed out of the middle, our inside 50 delivery was poor and our forwards were missing shots (wait for it … here it comes … it’s been a while …) THAT THE BETTER KICKS IN MY UNDER 12’s SIDE WOULD HAVE SLOTTED!

I agree. Our defence didn’t lose it for us. We lost because we were killed out of the middle, our inside 50 delivery was poor and our forwards were missing shots (wait for it … here it comes … it’s been a while …) THAT THE BETTER KICKS IN MY UNDER 12’s SIDE WOULD HAVE SLOTTED!
I actually think they would've.

3 posters in the first quarter when we were running all over them was a bit unlucky.

The boys just looked tired. Fletcher and Wilmot had a few decision making brain farts that I would put down to mental fatigue.

Surely this Henry Smith thing is done, if you big and a liability on the ground you need to take contested marks. Imagine Bruce would have been handy today- calm finisher in front of goal too.
Yep, but I like him as a prospect. Would give games to him next year just not in the middle of premiership tilt. I think the biggest issue is that when Joe has a game like today that if Smith plays there's no way we can throw Joe in the ruck to get him involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back