Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, but I like him as a prospect. Would give games to him next year just not in the middle of premiership tilt. I think the biggest issue is that when Joe has a game like today that if Smith plays there's no way we can throw Joe in the ruck to get him involved.
Yep i like Joey being able to do the second ruck work, not for his ruck work but being able to get involved with the game and picking up disposals around the middle. BUT with Hipwood not playing we had our hands tied abit i suppose. Joey just seemed not with it after first quarter, no where near opponent when GWS came out of backline, he just seemed well of the pace. Pressure well done, was he narky not being able to get involved and moved into the middle, i have no idea, just my opinion.

It’s been a massive effort to win 9 in a row with a lot of pressure and some really close finishes. Today they just looked really physically and mentally tired towards the end and it wasn’t surprising they were run over. Every other team has suffered a similar fate at some stage in the second half of the season so I don’t think we should be despairing about the result. We are good enough to win the next two games and go into the finals in a good position.

When Jones kicked his first goal when scores were level; what the **** was Brain thinking?

Brain has been OK, but I think Answerth should come back in if he has a good game tomorrow in the VFL.

Brain struggled with his defensive positioning against Jones a few times. Looked a bit lost out there.

Brain has been OK, but I think Answerth should come back in if he has a good game tomorrow in the VFL.

Brain struggled with his defensive positioning against Jones a few times. Looked a bit lost out there.
Brain seems another forward minded defender. We have quite a few of those, don't we.

Think we're really missing some more selfless defenders at the club, guys who just want to shutdown and be okay with not racking up 400+ metres gained.

Brain seems another forward minded defender. We have quite a few of those, don't we.

Think we're really missing some more selfless defenders at the club, guys who just want to shutdown and be okay with not racking up 400+ metres gained.
The only real choices are Answerth and Ah Chee. Answerth has been injured and Ah Chee is probably good value where he is.

I always thought we needed to win 2 of the last 3 to make top 4. Wanted 3 wins of course.
Winning 2 is still on the cards but we will have to lift our game and apply more pressure on the ball coming out of defense.

Neale needs to handle the tag better as it will be coming his way again and in the finals.
The players around him need to help also.
Ashcroft stepped up but he is not a damaging midfielder at present.
Our best damaging midfielder McCluggage had his worst game of the year.
Big O just lost any slight chance he had of being in the AA team with his performance today.

I thought we were out coached and out played after quarter time.
Fagan said at half time he was not changing anything as it was a battle of contested possession.
I did not notice any changes in the last either bar the sub. Maybe there was, and i did not pick it up.
I the last quarter was a good time to inject Berry into the midfield even though he was playing well on the wing.
Unfortunately, he stayed on the wing and only collected 3 disposals all being handballs in the last quarter.
Our forwards probably cost us the game but overall, it was a poor team effort for the last 3 quarters.
We did not handle the Giants pressure well from quarter time onwards. Finals coming guys, you need to do better.
Our winning streak is now over so that may alleviate some of the pressure.

In hindsight i am now glad the Swans beat the Pies on Friday evening.

Big improvement needed from today's game for these guys for the rest of the season.
Neale, McCluggage, Big O, Daniher, Andrews (possible a coaching error today) & Fletcher

Let's hope next week we are all talking about the team is back on track for top 4 at a minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No but of all games today was a day for Harris to play on his man and just be tight and disciplined. Letting Joyce shoulder the load of the Coleman medallist was poor leadership.
He wasn’t just “letting” Joyce take the load, they were literally tussling back and forth the entire game trying to switch their opponents. Hogan was actively trying to switch the matchup constantly.

Surely not. 60-80k easy would have the AFL host it at the G.

Worst case I'd back us in at the cattery.

There aren’t going to be many (if any) other finals at the MCG this year. Can’t see the cats getting a final at gmhba if they are the only final in Victoria that week.

Think it would be easy to overreact to today but tbh it’s a less worrying loss by my viewing than the others. Giants shot the lights out and took their chances, we didn’t. We still had the run of the play for I would say at least 40% of the game and we managed to turn it into a scrap most of the time when the giants got on top.

If our biggest issue is not finishing off our dominant play to me that is a much more fixable issue than actually being outplayed over the ground for long periods

Felt like we did enough today to win the game. You play that game 10 times with variance in our accuracy and we win that 9/10 times I reckon.

We should have had enough scoreboard pressure to withstand their surges, which ended up being the difference.

Think it would be easy to overreact to today but tbh it’s a less worrying loss by my viewing than the others. Giants shot the lights out and took their chances, we didn’t. We still had the run of the play for I would say at least 40% of the game and we managed to turn it into a scrap most of the time when the giants got on top.

If our biggest issue is not finishing off our dominant play to me that is a much more fixable issue than actually being outplayed over the ground for long periods
My first thought was that we just threw it away but on reflection we only kicked 3 after half time on our home deck.

Maybe the guys were just physically and mentally not up for it after busting our gut to get here we have. You often see teams that fire on all cylinders when they're rolling extending what we did last week for a while and by quarter time that was it.

I'm not counting on anything ,we need to make the Top 4 first before worrying about who plays where.

Maybe we LOOKED tired today because of the team we played against. They like to play quick so as we all know that can lead to issues for our team.
Yet we play two rucks when their ruck was an out this week.

Dumb on all levels to play two rucks against a known quick team that has already thrashed us once.

As King always says, don't lose to what you know, and that's precisely what we did today. Stupid is as stupid does.

Felt like we did enough today to win the game. You play that game 10 times with variance in our accuracy and we win that 9/10 times I reckon.

We should have had enough scoreboard pressure to withstand their surges, which ended up being the difference.
That's the way I saw it but there were just a few worrying things that we need to work on . Obviously we're a defender or two down which is fine as long as the m/f do their job.

The home finals aren't the issue when you look at our record there this year. It's just a tight contest now . It'd be great to get a couple of players back and go in with a healthy list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back