Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet we play two rucks when their ruck was an out this week.

Dumb on all levels to play two rucks against a known quick team that has already thrashed us once.

As King always says, don't lose to what you know, and that's precisely what we did today. Stupid is as stupid does.

Agreed. Would’ve loved to see us react to them moving Whitfield to half forward also. He killed us late in the last.

And as an aside - would love to see certain posters replying with their rebuttals or opinions instead of laugh reacting to posts they don’t agree with 👍🏻

Well that’s turned into a disastrous loss really put the pressure on us poor goal shooting was always gunna bite us
Tough from here , gave the giants a push up

Giants have a tough run home at least, cats will cakewalk to a top 2 finish with one of their worst teams in 15 years.

Yet we play two rucks when their ruck was an out this week.

Dumb on all levels to play two rucks against a known quick team that has already thrashed us once.

As King always says, don't lose to what you know, and that's precisely what we did today. Stupid is as stupid does.

I mean we had ten more scoring shots then them in the end and won on expected score by 30. As people had mentioned in the preview thread, we and the Giants were always going to have patches in the game where one team was doing better and we created more chances and just completely failed at converting.

It’s hard to say that we hamstrung ourselves when we did better around the ground. The last quarter was concerning but Smith was subbed off at that point, and they didn’t miss and we missed all our chances.

I mean we had ten more scoring shots then them in the end and won on expected score by 30. As people had mentioned in the preview thread, we and the Giants were always going to have patches in the game where one team was doing better and we created more chances and just completely failed at converting.

It’s hard to say that we hamstrung ourselves when we did better around the ground. The last quarter was concerning but Smith was subbed off at that point, and they didn’t miss and we missed all our chances.

Totally correct but doesn’t make me feel better 😞

I know Joyce is right down the list in terms of KPD depth, but we’ve got to look at another way to structure up whilst Payne is out. Whilst he is almost serviceable one on one, he has no game sense at all.
Payne recognises his limitations and hits free players laterally with 15-20m kicks or doesn’t take off streaming out of the backline. Joyce does not do those things. I’d play Prior given he at least gives us something different with his left foot. Simply, IMO we won’t win a premiership with Joyce in the side.

One other thing defensively, we look very vulnerable to the super quick smaller forward players still. Is Madden simply nowhere near it still? It’s got to be a need for us to address going forward.

Thought Ashcroft was good, but he will need to be if they keep tagging Neale. McCluggage had a poor one. Forwards - horrific. It’s been an issue for a long time. Not sure what the answer is. Starc huge.

The likelihood of us not dropping at least one game in the second half of the season was slim. Intensity was a little down today but we still had the opportunity to win if we had of taken our chances.

At the halfway mark of the year I'd have given my firstborn to be where we currently are.

Win the last two games, whatever else happens, que sara sara. If we do travel it looks unlikely it will be to Perth. I'm ok with anywhere else to be honest, this team can win anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played one quarter, they played 3. Still, we almost got them.

Great signs from Ashcroft. Have a vote. Starce keeping Greene quiet another vote.

Goalkicking obviously huge cost.

I think the umpiring was reasonable most of the game, but gee, the big howler with Berry getting pinged 10m out for an obviously not holding the ball really hurt us, and likely did swing momentum. That sucks, but these things happen, and we have to be better than that. No one thinks we lost because of umpiring.

Still, shake it off, go again. Focus on the games. Fix the goalkicking just a little and we'd have rolled over them. I'm not feeling terribly discouraged over that.

I was thinking during the game... is our side too young for Grand Final football at the moment?

Obviously before finals we're looking for Hipwood back for Smith, Payne back for Joyce. That leaves us with:

Ashcroft
Brain
Fletcher
Lohmann
Morris
Wilmot

That's over a quarter of your team, and Wilmot is the only one with 50 games under his belt. I'm not saying I think any of them need to come out. Just a weird thought. Maybe Brain for McKenna (if he can find a modicum of form) or Answerth? Funnily enough, I'd have suggested Reville, who I think is better as well, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Yeah nothing to do with the 6 games we lost in the first half of the year

Yeah unfortunately we’re paying a pretty heavy price for the sins of the start of our season. Turns out we had to be perfect after the bye for the reward of two home finals which we may just fall short of.

A couple of things to note today .

Every time Rayner tried to do the fend off they were all over him . They also applied a lot of off the ball pressure on him. This comes with the territory if you want to be a match winner so let's see if he can keep it up now that the media have sanctified him.

I don't think Joyce and Smith were anywhere near as poor as what some seem to think. In fact considering where Smith is at in his career he'll be our first ruck sooner than anyone imagines. I just hope we give him the experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back