Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean nobody is faster than Jones
Was thinking we need a good runner playing goal side/ side by side rather than in front and zoning. Can't let Jones get over the back or lose sight of him.

Jo is better when he gets time in the ruck.
He is around the ball more and can get his hands on the footy.
When fulltime forward he can get starved of actually getting his hands on the ball.
I believe in Joes case this leads to fumbles and stray kicking.
However, until Hippy returns he will most likely be stuck forward.
Maybe that should change if Hippy is out again this week, even if it is limited time in the ruck.

He is still kicking goals each week with our forward line disrupted and no real ruck time in the past 3 weeks.
Suns 10 Disposals 2.2 We won by 28 points
Saints 18 disposals 4.3 We won by 85 points, so the ball was in the forward line a lot more.
Giants 7 disposals 2.1 We lost by 18. Joe only had 2 disposals in the last half and only 3 in the last 3 quarters.
Joe came to the boundary line and had an at length discussion with somebody on the bench in the last quarter - I couldn't see who he was talking to but assume Fages...it lasted a while and was unusual. Must have been after a goal given the amount of time he spent there.

Them being the opposition had nothing to do with our poor goal kicking.
See I'd have agreed on this a few weeks ago. But the more I think about how certain teams seem to have all the luck when it comes to having their opposition kick inaccurately against them, I'm not so sure.

The "luckiest" team in this sense at the moment is the Giants. The second luckiest is Hawthorn. Last year it was Collingwood.

What do all these teams have in common? High octane, chaotic playing styles.

Is it possible that when playing those teams, you get a shot at goal but you are so buggered from running around after them that you spray your shot?

Sure, there quite possibly is some luck woven in there somewhere, but is it the be all and end all? The similarities in playing styles of the teams I've listed above makes me question this.

I actually think they would've.

3 posters in the first quarter when we were running all over them was a bit unlucky.
Hitting the post is not unlucky. Hitting the post means you've missed what should be your target by more than 3 metres.

The boys just looked tired.
We just lacked the energy I flagged prematch yesterday. Why do we bring this for our away games yet we're completely devoid of it at home? Joe kicks a goal early in the last quarter yesterday to give us a 14 point lead, and like 3 blokes got around him. It would have been closer to 23 if we'd been playing somewhere else. We already had a better record away from the Gabba than at home... Yesterday's result will have only exacerbated this.

Could this also explain why we seem to kick for goal so much more accurately on the road than at home? It might certainly explain why our midfield got overrun the longer the game went. Perhaps this energy sort of feeds on itself: the more you bring the more you actually have.

These might be some interesting factors to look at in the stats thread during the week. Goal kicking accuracy, clearance counts and quarter by quarter records at home vs away.

Yesterday may come back to haunt us. Worst case scenario is finish 5th and play Hawks in first week in an Elimination Final. Would not be confident.

A lot of the posts are a tough read but I'd still rather be here than see what vitriol is being posted on facebook lol.
This is the exact reason I came back to BigFooty after a 17 year absence 🙂

I'm also super impressed the coaching thread hasn't reared its head yet. Well done team 💪

That's it in a nutshell for me. GWS are a decent team.

As an aside, the whole experience today was a bit of a downer. Train from landsborough late by at least an hour, would have missed start of game. Was going to return to caloundra, but decided to drive to chermside. Crawled down Bruce highway, took over 90 minutes from landsborough station. No idea why so slow, no roadworks as far as I could see.Queued up for the shuttle bus at 1245 and got into the ground just before 2 o'clock. The result was the icing on the cake. I'd think twice about returning from Vic to watch another game at the gabba.

Drive back up the road was okay though. Tremendous...
So basically as soon as you showed up we went to sh!t 😂

How do we ban people from the Gabba? 🤔

Not sure if this has been discussed yet:
Why were GWS allowed to break the 6-6-6 rule all day? They kept trying to get Jesse on Joyce so they would put 2 players in the goal square after a goal. In the first quarter we would play by the rule of only 1 in the square. But after no frees were paid we then just ran with 2 in the square from the 2nd quarter on.
Noticed this too. Maybe the rule is a "minimum of 1" not "exactly 1"?

Edit: answered by dlanod

GWS certainly brought the pressure but there was too much fumbling and poor decision making by us.

Looked like they bullied and intimidated us like Geelong have done for many years.

We need to harden up as a group
Good on-ball pressure does that to most teams. We simply needed to bring it better than we did back the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a down day still has the expected score having us win by 30+, I'll take it.

Compare it to Sydney last week or the Dogs this week. The grass ain't greener.

This is very reasonable but I'm still going to be sad about this game all week.

This is very reasonable but I'm still going to be sad about this game all week.

What happened to you BRAB . Ever since danster168 made a positive comment about Rayner you haven't been the same.

The Lions are ultra-aggressive at stoppages, but against young, nimble teams that push numbers up around the ball and try to beat their opponents back – i.e. their only two conquerors since early April, GWS (twice) and Hawthorn.

Pushing up around the ball, Brent Daniels and Jones were immense, zipping away from contests and sucking up their Lions opponents, Dayne Zorko especially, up the ground and away from dangerous spots, with Daniels in particular backing himself to outrun the older, slower Zorko at every opportunity.

This was very noticeable.

Yeah I think just about everything's been said. Yes we kicked appallingly, they kicked exceptionally and we were poor at stoppages, increasingly so as the game went on. Essentially, those three major areas of concern, being kicking for goal, our last quarters and (to a lesser extent) missed tackles reared their ugly heads after several weeks of being non- or only minor issues.

Outside of that however there was actually a lot to like about the performance. The tsunami was almost completely stifled. I can remember only one occasion, which was in the last quarter, when it got going. They started at right half back, and transitioned the ball threateningly through the centre square by hand. But that wave petered out just as quickly, washing up on the beach, bouncing out of bounds in the left forward pocket and wouldn't have even knocked over a sand castle.

Apart from that, all their ball movement from back half was via the wings, was well pressured and usually interrupted. Indeed, they only managed 2 goals from their back half for the whole game. So a massive tick for our transition defence which has been a concern at stages this season.

Similarly, we were able to prevent them from scoring to any great extent when they went inside 50. To restrict a top 4 team to only 18 shots at goal is an outstanding performance, as is the fact that they were only able to get a shot at goal from 39% of their entries, well below AFL average.

We won the intercept battle comprehensively, 63-50, and scored 5-5 to 4-2 from that source. This is the part of the game that is hardest to get right, because the game is in motion, therefore requiring everyone to buy in and be on the same page, so our game generally looked in good order.

Conversely, defending from stoppages should be the easiest part of the game to get right, because the game is static. And even there it was only our accuracy stopping us from winning this battle as well, given we kicked 3-11 to 9-1, including 2-1 to 4-0 from centre bounces.

So, tidy up our goal kicking and improve our stoppage work, and we should be ok. The one caveat to that is that our goal kicking has (on and off) been a club-wide concern ever since that Richmond final in 2019, without ever getting fully nailed. So I'd be surprised to see it magically sort itself out at some stage in the next 6 weeks, gun skills coach or not.

I do think however that making a conscious effort to bring better/greater energy to every game, home or away, would make a difference to this.

Worst case scenario would be losing the next 2 and finishing 7th, potentially playing the hawks away in week 1!
We couldn’t possibly lose to Essendon at home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back