Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was impressed that Fages had already identified our lack of intensity around stoppages before the press conference, had already discussed it with our midfield group AND was willing to bring that to the table at the press conference.

I think in previous years he might have said it all came down to accuracy, and I think to be honest most of us (myself included) would probably have accepted this, given the huge impact that in itself had on the result.

It seems as though we are gradually lifting the standards we expect within the club, and becoming more prepared to be public with these standards, which I applaud.

Yeah I think just about everything's been said. Yes we kicked appallingly, they kicked exceptionally and we were poor at stoppages, increasingly so as the game went on. Essentially, those three major areas of concern, being kicking for goal, our last quarters and (to a lesser extent) missed tackles reared their ugly heads after several weeks of being non- or only minor issues.

Outside of that however there was actually a lot to like about the performance. The tsunami was almost completely stifled. I can remember only one occasion, which was in the last quarter, when it got going. They started at right half back, and transitioned the ball threateningly through the centre square by hand. But that wave petered out just as quickly, washing up on the beach, bouncing out of bounds in the left forward pocket and wouldn't have even knocked over a sand castle.

Apart from that, all their ball movement from back half was via the wings, was well pressured and usually interrupted. Indeed, they only managed 2 goals from their back half for the whole game. So a massive tick for our transition defence which has been a concern at stages this season.

Similarly, we were able to prevent them from scoring to any great extent when they went inside 50. To restrict a top 4 team to only 18 shots at goal is an outstanding performance, as is the fact that they were only able to get a shot at goal from 39% of their entries, well below AFL average.

We won the intercept battle comprehensively, 63-50, and scored 5-5 to 4-2 from that source. This is the part of the game that is hardest to get right, because the game is in motion, therefore requiring everyone to buy in and be on the same page, so our game generally looked in good order.

Conversely, defending from stoppages should be the easiest part of the game to get right, because the game is static. And even there it was only our accuracy stopping us from winning this battle as well, given we kicked 3-11 to 9-1, including 2-1 to 4-0 from centre bounces.

So, tidy up our goal kicking and improve our stoppage work, and we should be ok. The one caveat to that is that our goal kicking has (on and off) been a club-wide concern ever since that Richmond final in 2019, without ever getting fully nailed. So I'd be surprised to see it magically sort itself out at some stage in the next 6 weeks, gun skills coach or not.

I do think however that making a conscious effort to bring better/greater energy to every game, home or away, would make a difference to this.
This is all because you tipped us in the preview btw

This is all because you tipped us in the preview btw
This is actually it. Never again. Folks, if I end up doing a preview I WILL be tipping the opposition. I'ma be like Red Symons from the old days of Hey Hey It's Saturday. If you don't like it, well, here's the preview thread, and a warning... We still don't have anyone for this coming Saturday...

I was impressed that Fages had already identified our lack of intensity around stoppages before the press conference, had already discussed it with our midfield group AND was willing to bring that to the table at the press conference.

I think in previous years he might have said it all came down to accuracy, and I think to be honest most of us (myself included) would probably have accepted this, given the huge impact that in itself had on the result.

It seems as though we are gradually lifting the standards we expect within the club, and becoming more prepared to be public with these standards, which I applaud.
Since he started to open up a bit at the PC's he also seems a lot happier about having to be there.

See I'd have agreed on this a few weeks ago. But the more I think about how certain teams seem to have all the luck when it comes to having their opposition kick inaccurately against them, I'm not so sure.

The "luckiest" team in this sense at the moment is the Giants. The second luckiest is Hawthorn. Last year it was Collingwood.

What do all these teams have in common? High octane, chaotic playing styles.

Is it possible that when playing those teams, you get a shot at goal but you are so buggered from running around after them that you spray your shot?

Sure, there quite possibly is some luck woven in there somewhere, but is it the be all and end all? The similarities in playing styles of the teams I've listed above makes me question this.

Tbf… lions are constantly unprofessional and laconic in front of goals. We always dominate quarters for 4 goals 5 or similar

Now that Levi has committed, we don't have to pretend anymore in the pressers

I'm noticing a lot of sentiment about desperately needing a top-two finish to be considered a strong premiership contender. While it's disappointing to have all but missed out on that position, relying solely on two Gabba finals doesn't define us as a top team. I welcome the challenge of winning a final on the road and evolving into an "anytime, anywhere" team, especially in finals. Doing so will greatly enhance our confidence and composure on Grand Final day, should we make it.

I'm noticing a lot of sentiment about desperately needing a top-two finish to be considered a strong premiership contender. While it's disappointing to have all but missed out on that position, relying solely on two Gabba finals doesn't define us as a top team. I welcome the challenge of winning a final on the road and evolving into an "anytime, anywhere" team, especially in finals. Doing so will greatly enhance our confidence and composure on Grand Final day, should we make it.
Probably not the worst year to go on the road week 1, would give us a good chance against all of Sydney, Geelong and Port away

Current route to the GF reads like perfect preparation:

MCG
Gabba
MCG
Gabba
MCG

Couldn't ask for more than that. Given how well we travel, the players would no doubt relish the opportunity for an extra G game.

All they need to do is put a bullet in the cooked Pies then dance on Essendons grave. 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as Ashcroft was on this game, we need to swap Berry back inside and Ashcroft to wing. This setup needs to be our first cab off the rank for midfield matchups from here on.

As good as Ashcroft was on this game, we need to swap Berry back inside and Ashcroft to wing. This setup needs to be our first cab off the rank for midfield matchups from here on.
don't disagree, but I also think Cam needs to spend a bit more time forward as opposed to inside mid, I know that is controversial, but Cam is not the best two-way runner and despite his great form the past month (against easier teams) I believe with our current depth in the midfield he is much more valuable as that quasi tall 3rd tall forward.

Fages and the coaching group need to address the glaring issue of teams who run and spread with handball. It’s been an Achilles heel for so many years now.
Hawthorn and GWS have killed us with this through the season.
Yes, it’s a clearance issue too, but our lack of two way run is recognised by these teams and exposed consistently.
Both these teams will be in the finals. Both these teams we could play first week of the finals. We need a counter to this, straight kicking is a start and better clearance work.
Team has a lot to unpack in the review this week. Hope they are watching the hawks game too. Have speed, accuracy and unpredictability. Traits our plan A only game style struggles with.

Last edited:
Fages and the coaching group need to address the glaring issue of teams who run and speak with handball. It’s been an Achilles heel for so many years now.
Yes, it’s a clearance issue too, but our lack of two way run is recognised by these teams and exposed consistently.
Both these teams will be in the finals. Both these teams we could play first week of the finals. We need a counter to this, straight kicking is a start and better clearance work.
Team has a lot to unpack in the review this week. Hope they are watching the hawks game too. Have speed, accuracy and unpredictability. Traits our plan A only game style struggles with.
There's truth in that but you just can't pluck a Coleman out of the air who would go a long way towards overcoming this issue.

We were able to slow the game down when we needed to against the lesser teams but the teams with superior runners can wear us down.

If we execute well then we can beat all of them with our current game plan. When we don't execute well , like on Saturday ,we're vulnerable.

Fages and the coaching group need to address the glaring issue of teams who run and spread with handball. It’s been an Achilles heel for so many years now.

Killed us is a massive stretch

Fages and the coaching group need to address the glaring issue of teams who run and speak with handball. It’s been an Achilles heel for so many years now.
It is our Kryptonite that's for sure although if our all ground pressure and preferred game style is at an elite level it is greatly mitigated.

Overall our midfield is on the slow side so we need to be at a high level of intensity for the whole game, Ideally we need to get some pace into our midfield rotation.

We are not the only one that is for sure. The most frustrating part is we, the fans, know that is how we get beat and the coaching staff would as well.

It is our Kryptonite that's for sure although if our all ground pressure and preferred game style is at an elite level it is greatly mitigated.

Overall our midfield is on the slow side so we need to be at a high level of intensity for the whole game, Ideally we need to get some pace into our midfield rotation.
Agree with all statements. Plan A is very good when it’s working and some of the best footy in the league to watch when it’s flowing.
Depth is tested down back and Harris is struggling to cover for Payne not being there.
The simple fact is 3.11 vs 9.1 from stoppage is the tale of the game.
Fwds let the team down this week.
It kept gws in the game and invited pressure.
Our fwds were 50% off, there fwd line was 95% on.
Such small measures this season across all games.
Can’t afford it this week, with what looks like a wet Saturday at the G.

Daniels and Jones sat on the inside of stoppages, instead of chucking it on the boot they went inside and they were goneski. A good tactic against us. Very slow midfielders but strong in tight.

A good reason for oscar to do his Keating arm swings and get it out of there which he didn't.

O was mauled, grabbed, held and tackled in the ruck all day…I thought he should have had 5-6 free kicks

We had the worst combination of umpires we could have asked for - not sure other teams would get away with doing that to Oscar in future games

The commentators kept going on during the Pies game about how the Pies are the best traveling team in the competition, but what does that mean, they've won like 3 away games this season?

We are 8/11 away game wins so far this season. 6/7 since we got our season going. So finishing third or fourth doesn't really bother me TBH. We are and have been one of the best non-Victorian traveling teams for a while now.

Tbf… lions are constantly unprofessional and laconic in front of goals. We always dominate quarters for 4 goals 5 or similar
Most of my coaching complaints over the last year or 2 have been addressed slowly which is great. But goal kicking still looks like something we dont put enough effort into.

There are a couple of guys like Linc and Bailey who when in range have fantastic consistent techniques. But then there are a senior guys like Charlie and Joe who despite so long in the industry still look like they make it up every single shot. I dont know how you can get to that point in your career as a forward and not have a nailed down your approach for most set shots. You can just see that they miss a simple shot and heads drop across the park. It plays so much into how the defensive efforts from forwards and mids drop way off as soon as the yips kick in.

Really hope this lazy approach and confidence about basic set shots doesnt keep spreading to the young guys like Morris and Lohman.

I accept this was a bit of a freak game for kicking and on most measures we win that. We have had a massive back end of the year and dropping one now isnt the worst if it sharpens things up again. But it happens too often that we have some of the worst confidence players for goal kicking going around the comp for many years. Too many easy set shots from straight in front just get wasted

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back