Preview Round 22, 2024: Carlton v Hawthorn, Sun 11 August, 1.10pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate I completely understand your thinking and your right!

The problem is though, when was the last time you actually saw CJ use his speed and running through the wings and exposing the opposition on offence like he use to before his injuries?? Be honest.

I think all of us supporters including Sam have just been waiting to see him explode with his running hence why he keeps getting picked, but unfortunately, he is really holding back and not using his speed which is his main asset. I think he could be mentally scared from all his hammy injuries he doesn't have faith to sprint at full pace.

If it's just for his chip kicks and marks I think I would rather Morrissons cleaner hands and better decision making for now, and let CJ know he'll be at BOX HILL until he brings that epic running power back.
His primary role is not to distribute but to create space for the likes of Amon, Mass etc. He does a lot of running to areas of the ground you don't see on camera so we can set up our territory game.
Think a lot of posters underestimate his importance to executing our strategy.

Not looking forward to this.

Sad Season 1 GIF by The Office

Not looking forward to this.

Sad Season 1 GIF by The Office

We will be ready and we will go in hard from first siren to last siren. Sammy mentioned towards the end of his press conference that next week can't come quick enough. This is a group (coaches and players) who are ready to learn and put in the hard yards. We are building something special!

Morrison, Maginess and MacKenzie are absolutely firing right now. Particularly the first 2. Part of me wants to see if Serong could make any difference to our vulnerable defense with Sicily so hampered but I doubt it. Scaife just compounds the forward pressure problem, I think Gunston would be more of a hassle for Gov and Weitering.

I think Ward and Breust would be vulnerable.

His primary role is not to distribute but to create space for the likes of Amon, Mass etc. He does a lot of running to areas of the ground you don't see on camera so we can set up our territory game.
Think a lot of posters underestimate his importance to executing our strategy.
If that was his primary role then we would be better off just recruiting a middle distance runner to do a half marathon every game.

As per previous poster CJ is in the team to get the ball, run with the ball and break lines with his run and carry. That and also be a good presence in the air. I honestly struggle to recall even one time this year when he has gone for one of his trademark runs through the middle/off half back or taken a strong overhead mark. A few years ago he was doing this on a weekly basis off half back.

He just looks really out of form to me. Ive always said we play better when CJ is up and about but right at this moment I have Morrison quite a bit ahead of CJ.

I'm keeping Dear in moving him out for untried forward is a risk. He competes well, tackles hard he could nullify McGovern intercept marking.

If we shut their talls down at either end I see our smalls getting ahold of them on the open spaces of the M.C.G.

If anything bring a defender in down back and have the option of Weddle or Sicily giving them a chop out up forward.

I'd be targeting Saad this week, guy is a dead set liability to Carlton.

Same with their midfield as it's a 2 man midfield and 1 is playing half fit.

Their defence is small so we should be pushing Meek the Freak forward as often as possible.

Mackay and Curnow and our mindset is what will bring us undone.

Run Carlton silly and we should beat them.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Outs: Dear (managed), Ward (omitted)

Ins: Maginess, Serong

Serong to play back, Sicily to float wherever needed (ie spare defender, or as KPF cover when Chol/Gunston need a spell)

Maginess to start a mid/hf but can be used as a tagger if one of their mids get rolling.

Breust to sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that was his primary role then we would be better off just recruiting a middle distance runner to do a half marathon every game.

As per previous poster CJ is in the team to get the ball, run with the ball and break lines with his run and carry. That and also be a good presence in the air. I honestly struggle to recall even one time this year when he has gone for one of his trademark runs through the middle/off half back or taken a strong overhead mark. A few years ago he was doing this on a weekly basis off half back.

He just looks really out of form to me. Ive always said we play better when CJ is up and about but right at this moment I have Morrison quite a bit ahead of CJ.
You do realise his role has changed since Mitchell has been coach right? His role isn't just get the ball and run with the ball. We have specific players who extract, distribute and run. There's also players we use, like cj, who do a lot of unrewarded running so there better skilled teammates can execute.
Getting a middle distance runner is a lazy generalisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outs: Dear (managed), Ward (omitted)

Ins: Maginess, Serong

Serong to play back, Sicily to float wherever needed (ie spare defender, or as KPF cover when Chol/Gunston need a spell)

Maginess to start a mid/hf but can be used as a tagger if one of their mids get rolling.

Breust to sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sam seems to have moved away from using a tagger 👍🏻, so McKenzie and Serong IN, Ward and Breust OUT. Sicily seems unable to play as either a KPD or interceptor with his shoulder, but worth it as a half back distributor and forward option. Can’t play Breust and Gunston together, and Breust doesn’t provide run as a sub. McKenzie was managed and provides more than Ward and coming off good games at BH.

You do realise his role has changed since Mitchell has been coach right? His role isn't just get the ball and run with the ball. We have specific players who extract, distribute and run. There's also players we use, like cj, who do a lot of unrewarded running so there better skilled teammates can execute.
Getting a middle distance runner is a lazy generalisation.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer my wingmen to actually get the ball and dispose of it rather than just run up and down the wing all day to create room for teammates. Now Ricky Henderson, he was a superb winger for us because he impacted the game is so many ways (disposals, marks, goals along with some serious kms covered).

Put simply CJ is averaging under 12 disposals a game this year. He wont make it long term as an AFL winger / midfielder with those kind of numbers regardless of how much unrewarded running he does.

And I am not potting CJ, Ive been a big fan of his but we have to face up to it that he is terribly out of form at the moment and probably doesn't deserve a spot over Morrison, Finn, etc.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer my wingmen to actually get the ball and dispose of it rather than just run up and down the wing all day to create room for teammates. Now Ricky Henderson, he was a superb winger for us because he impacted the game is so many ways (disposals, marks, goals along with some serious kms covered).

Put simply CJ is averaging under 12 disposals a game this year. He wont make it long term as an AFL winger / midfielder with those kind of numbers regardless of how much unrewarded running he does.

And I am not potting CJ, Ive been a big fan of his but we have to face up to it that he is terribly out of form at the moment and probably doesn't deserve a spot over Morrison, Finn, etc.
100%
Need to find form in the VFL.

If we are dropping someone for lack of form that will be Ward and not CJ. I would bring on Finn for Ward.

I still can't understand the reasons for constantly dropping Dear for the last quarter. The kid is young and others who are younger and older plays the whole game. Although in some games he is quite but still he demands a defender and takes pressure away from Chol. Also Chol plays well when there is another marking tall with him. So leave Dear for a full game at least in these last three games.

Last edited:

How many did

Bateman and Smith average?

A lot more then 12 even Hill averaged more then 12 and he was a kid, younger then CJ.

It's a downer against the Giants, but we need to move on quick.
It will be interesting how we respond after a heartbreaker.

There is still a glimmer of hope.
Hopefully things go our way for once.

If we make it to the 8, it will be a good exposure for the boys.
If we still miss the 8 (even with a 3 straight win) at least we go out with a Bang.

Cerra - hamstring (most likely out)
Cotrell - shoulder (TBA)
Curnow - sprained ankle (TBA)

Surely we will have changes.
Why was I expecting this to rhyme? 😂

How many did

Bateman and Smith average?

A lot more then 12 even Hill averaged more then 12 and he was a kid, younger then CJ.
Yep. Chance wasn't a prolific ball winner but he still averaged 17 disposals over his career. Hill also has a 20 disposal average. That's what a good AFL standard winger should be aiming for, around 17 to 22 disposals (Hendo averaging close to 25 disposals in 2019 just shows what a year he had back then).

As I've said I am a big fan of CJs but you have to call a spade a spade and right now CJ needs a spell at Box Hill to get his mojo back.

I don’t believe for a second that the coaching group is content with playing a winger because he runs and opens up space.
CJ has always fumbled to an extent, his cleanest patch of skills with the ball were right before his injury unfortunately. If we need someone to run all day on the wing and create space for others, give Finn a crack. His form at Box Hill deserves another crack, he didn’t do a lot wrong in limited minutes as the sub and went back to Box Hill and killed it.
Finn was the best tagger in the game and was dropped to Box Hill to add other dimensions to his game, which he has.
Don’t see why CJ should be exempt for only offering a one dimensional role to the team

If we are dropping someone for lack of form that will be Ward and not CJ. I would bring on Finn for Ward.

I still can't understand the reasons for constantly dropping Dear for the last quarter. The kid is young and others who are younger and older plays the whole game. Although in some games he is quite but still he demands a defender and takes pressure away from Chol. Also Chol plays well when there is another marking tall with him. So leave Dear for a full game at least in these last three games.
Ward wasn’t great on the weekend, but was very good against Adelaide. CJ hasn’t done anything since he came into the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back