Preview Round 22, 2024: Carlton v Hawthorn, Sun 11 August, 1.10pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate I completely understand your thinking and your right!

The problem is though, when was the last time you actually saw CJ use his speed and running through the wings and exposing the opposition on offence like he use to before his injuries?? Be honest.

I think all of us supporters including Sam have just been waiting to see him explode with his running hence why he keeps getting picked, but unfortunately, he is really holding back and not using his speed which is his main asset. I think he could be mentally scared from all his hammy injuries he doesn't have faith to sprint at full pace.

If it's just for his chip kicks and marks I think I would rather Morrissons cleaner hands and better decision making for now, and let CJ know he'll be at BOX HILL until he brings that epic running power back.
I recall hearing that CJ is in talks about his new contract extension and part of the deal was for him to string some games together without injury - this could be the reason why his only going 70%, to avoid injury and get that extension.

In: Serong, Mackenzie
Out: Gunston, Ward.

• Harsh on Gunston but we can't play Breust and Gunston in the same team, not enough defensive pressure once the ball hits the deck.
  • Sicily goes forward, his injury is impacting his aerial contest and is a liability. Still too good not to be in the team but it can't be in a defensive role. We can also stretch this weak Carlton defense.
  • All of Morrison, Mackenzie and Maginness deserve a call up, going with the best ball user.
Carlton will be hard to stop scoring but we can hurt them on spread and should be able to open the game up and out score them.

If we are dropping someone for lack of form that will be Ward and not CJ. I would bring on Finn for Ward.

I still can't understand the reasons for constantly dropping Dear for the last quarter. The kid is young and others who are younger and older plays the whole game. Although in some games he is quite but still he demands a defender and takes pressure away from Chol. Also Chol plays well when there is another marking tall with him. So leave Dear for a full game at least in these last three games.

I agree with you comments re Dear. We should not be dropping him. When he was subbed out, our forward pressure dropped drastically. It was no surprise that when Dear was subbed out, GWS were able to nullify Chol, from making much of an impact, due to having another tall to help him, especially one that attacks the ball as much as Dear does. It also helps Chol, as it means that it also frees him up to attack and provide pressure as well. They are a great combination as they compliment each other so well.

I agree with you comments re Dear. We should not be dropping him. When he was subbed out, our forward pressure dropped drastically. It was no surprise that when Dear was subbed out, GWS were able to nullify Chol, from making much of an impact, due to having another tall to help him, especially one that attacks the ball as much as Dear does. It also helps Chol, as it means that it also frees him up to attack and provide pressure as well. They are a great combination as they compliment each other so well.

Dear had one kick and two pressure acts, to go with his 47% game time.

He is a liability to the side currently because he can’t spend enough time on the ground nor can he cover enough ground whilst out there.

If it was improving slowly then leave him in, but he’s actively regressing as the season goes on. It was always a risk throwing an 18yo kid in every week, unfortunately the fatigue is killing him at the moment. He just can’t get to enough contests.

Not the kids fault, he gives everything when he’s out there, but we can’t afford to carry him at this point.

Scaife has to come in. Just has to contest the footy for 4 quarters.

Dear had one kick and two pressure acts, to go with his 47% game time.

He is a liability to the side currently because he can’t spend enough time on the ground nor can he cover enough ground whilst out there.

If it was improving slowly then leave him in, but he’s actively regressing as the season goes on. It was always a risk throwing an 18yo kid in every week, unfortunately the fatigue is killing him at the moment. He just can’t get to enough contests.

Not the kids fault, he gives everything when he’s out there, but we can’t afford to carry him at this point.

Scaife has to come in. Just has to contest the footy for 4 quarters.
I agree and better this year, which is the year we can afford to try things.

2025 Hawks will thank us for finding out.

A little concerned with Ginnivan and Watson injury rumours.
It would explain their vanishing act in the 2nd half.
Add them to Sis and it might be a problem.
Let's see what we have left in the tank.

Blues are just going. Another interesting test.

A little concerned with Ginnivan and Watson injury rumours.
It would explain their vanishing act in the 2nd half.
Add them to Sis and it might be a problem.
Let's see what we have left in the tank.

Blues are just going. Another interesting test.
What are the rumours?

Ginnivan didn’t look right, hands on knees multiple times in the game, looked gassed.

Watson looked fine

In: Scaife, Mackenzie, HMo
Out: Breust (managed), Ward (omitted), Cj (omitted)

Scaife joins in down the front end with Gunston subbing with Scaife or Dear after half. Breust given a week in the coaches box.

HMo's kicking is worth a look on such a small field and Mackenzie brings some class entering 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a big fan of Calsher but he's treading water right now and that's not having a go, for someone in his first season with his limited preparation I'd be surprised if he was improving every game.
No doubt he'll play a heap of games next year but right now I think it's a good time for Scaife to get a run.

In: Scaife, Mackenzie, HMo
Out: Breust (managed), Ward (omitted), Cj (omitted)

Scaife joins in down the front end with Gunston subbing with Scaife or Dear after half. Breust given a week in the coaches box.

HMo's kicking is worth a look on such a small field and Mackenzie brings some class entering 50.
The small MCG field?

On SM-F936B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't be surprised if Ginnivan doesn't come up for this game.
One tackle for the day.
The foot must have flared up again.
Not selecting Finn was a huge mistake.
Whitfield is on fire and was avg high 30's disposals for the past 4 weeks.
Scaife is a certainty to come in.
He provides energy and excitement and the Blues wont have an answer for him.
He will get the 3rd best defender.
Chol and Gunston the others.
This kid has something special about him.
Brings the right attitude and plays like he belongs already.
This will give the team a spark after last week.
Gunston will feign the leads and this kid will gobble them up he is a monster.

I don’t care how we do it but FFS get Amon on a wing and out of defence, get Sicily to do the kick ins.
We need Amon on one wing and Mass on the other.
Will not happen and for good reason.

We are equal 5th in the comp for scores from kick ins.

It’s not broke…

If Dear needs a proper rest then I'd be looking at bringing Serong in. Either play him forward or swap with Sicily.
Dear hasn't been in rehab once during week in recovery all season. Amazing really and largely due to our man management. He is playing almost every game because of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back