Preview Round 22, 2024: Carlton v Hawthorn, Sun 11 August, 1.10pm AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand where you're coming from, but it's never that black and white; every player has a plan from the Coaches perspective, team balance is a consideration, furthermore, this is an elimination final, can we afford to take in a player who's underperformed?

There's invariably several factors for team changes.
In one game? If that's your argument, then why not drop CJ, Worpel and Ginnivan, who also underperformed?

I'll preface this with I'm no footy analyst. Having said that I was wondering why we don't have Dear as sub considering that his tank is limited being a 1st year. Are we going "All in" to start the game, planning on kicking em in the guts early to win the game or is it part of the plan to build the tank or something else?

Agree on CJ but not on Ward - 11possessions in a game where we really needed him to stand up justifies his omission this week. I get that CJ is down is still playing catch up and we need him to get up to speed but yeh probably needs a spell at Box Hill. Will be interesting to see how he goes against Carlton
1 down game and 2 good ones and dropped. Others have had multiple chances. Hence the questioning and uncertainty.

I'll preface this with I'm no footy analyst. Having said that I was wondering why we don't have Dear as sub considering that his tank is limited being a 1st year. Are we going "All in" to start the game, planning on kicking em in the guts early to win the game or is it part of the plan to build the tank or something else?
It's always preferable to play your best side for the majority of the game, as well as have at minimum 2 tall forwards that can compete in the air. This is why he starts.

I am not sure how many times he has been subbed, but I would say at least half of them are because he is struggling to impact the game (pick 56, just turned 19, it's a miracle he is even playing at all).

He has pretty low TOG and that's how they manage his lack of stamina at present, but that also means everyone else is clocking up extra minutes to cover for that, so as a game goes on and fresh legs is valued more and more it makes sense to take him off especially if he is not ripping the game apart.

Really excited to see what he looks and plays like after 2 years in the gym, he's the player whose success I feel invested the most in.

Hopefully Mackenzie for Ward. Way too talented to be playing for Box Hill. CJ lucky regardless of defensive running patterns. Serong could have played against Max G or Cadman but no obvious match-up this week. Sick of hearing about Whitfield. Had 30 at 3/4 time and we were still 5 goals up! Daniels way more influential in the last. The boys seem confident and are hoping to run (speed) them ragged!
Maybe if we had of put some work into Whitfield in the first three quarters we could have been 6 or 7 goals up at 3 qtr time instead of 5?
Not sure what game you were watching, but he killed us on transition all day, and kept his side within reach. Allowing a player that uses the ball so well to have 30 to 3 quarter was a coaching error that I’m sure Mitch will learn from.

Not sure all the commotion on ward is required, he doesn’t go hard enough at the contest at the moment. Compare that to an 18 year old will day who looked like a broom stick and you can see why his dropped.

It’s to send a message, and you can’t take a player who won’t go that 10% harder into a finals like game.

He has enormous upside, but standards are everything for two years time

Main training today. All the named 26 are moving well.

I think Harry and Frenchie are chances to play based on today's training.
Tim's (newmo's) tip is Frenchie to replace Ward in the 23.
In the match sim, they did not have the usual 18v18 (I think it's only 13v13) which makes it harder to guess on who will likely to play.
Again take that with a grain of salt.

Tucker, Ramma, Sugar, Seamus running laps(Probably not 100%.)
But it doesn’t matter to much as they are not named in the 26.

Reeves in the main group earlier then running laps late.
Chad also in the main group earlier, but went upstairs early.

midfield group doing their drills
IMG_3157.JPG

Lewis in crutches.
1723173490855.png

Channel 7, Foxfooty and Talking Hawks are well represented in todays presser.

IMG_3146.JPG

Not sure all the commotion on ward is required, he doesn’t go hard enough at the contest at the moment. Compare that to an 18 year old will day who looked like a broom stick and you can see why his dropped.

It’s to send a message, and you can’t take a player who won’t go that 10% harder into a finals like game.

He has enormous upside, but standards are everything for two years time
Really? I've never questioned his appetite for the contest, i'm more concerned with his low disposal count overall. Not quite sure why so many bang on about this, don't think he is soft at all. For the record, Will Day was never questioned about his hardness at the ball. We all cringed how hard he attacked the footy in his first year barely weighing 72-75 kg's. Poor comparison as Day showed he was going to be a star in his first few games very quickly...

Interesting just spoke with a friend of mine who works at a certain opposition club that we may or not play this week.
A certain key forward is a genuine test and very very sore. No sure thing to play.

And further to this, Battle is looking more likely to stay than go, however cant be confirmed as of yet.
On the wireless yesterday it was stated said forward copped an unjury 4-5 weeks back and has struggled with it since.
Last week we seen an aggravation of. Would highlight why they lack explosiveness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’d want to have a good game this weekend, otherwise he’ll have to learn the position at Box Hill.
I wouldn't do this against Carlton as we need the extra height in defence, but it may be worth alternating Weddle and CJ from wing/hbf. Both I think will end up as wingers and have been comfortable off hbf.

Also wouldn't mind Day alternating between Wing and inside Mid.

Really? I've never questioned his appetite for the contest, i'm more concerned with his low disposal count overall. Not quite sure why so many bang on about this, don't think he is soft at all. For the record, Will Day was never questioned about his hardness at the ball. We all cringed how hard he attacked the footy in his first year barely weighing 72-75 kg's. Poor comparison as Day showed he was going to be a star in his first few games very quickly...
To me that’s the reason his been dropped multiple times now, and for that very reason it’s why day/macdonald/jai get games pumped into them early. (I think day is genuinely insane in how courageous he is so not a perfect comparison)

I don’t think his soft, more like he overthinks everything and gets lost in limbo and doesn’t want for the contest because his thinking about everything, the classic line don’t think doooo, would be everything for ward. And his got enough size to throw his weight around but if rarely seen him use it.

To me that’s the reason his been dropped multiple times now, and for that very reason it’s why day/macdonald/jai get games pumped into them early. (I think day is genuinely insane in how courageous he is so not a perfect comparison)

I don’t think his soft, more like he overthinks everything and gets lost in limbo and doesn’t want for the contest because his thinking about everything, the classic line don’t think doooo, would be everything for ward. And his got enough size to throw his weight around but if rarely seen him use it.
Yup. Felt like he was caught in the headlights when the pressure was on. And when he did get the ball he stopped the momentum. When you don't get many possessions, there is a lot of pressure to make the most of them.

General admission seating info has been released (see below):

Shane Warne Stand
  • Q1-Q7
  • Q8-Q11 rows K-DD
Ponsford Stand
  • Q31-Q36 rows V-MM
Olympic Stand
  • Not available
AFL Reserve
Please note, seating in the AFL Reserve is available to AFL members only.
  • Q24-Q28 rows U-DD
CHEER SQUAD AREAS
Carlton:
M3 rows A-V
Hawthorn: M33 rows A-S

0e7e8d9e58b59dc93c2f569a9ffe7157.jpg

It's always preferable to play your best side for the majority of the game, as well as have at minimum 2 tall forwards that can compete in the air. This is why he starts.

I am not sure how many times he has been subbed, but I would say at least half of them are because he is struggling to impact the game (pick 56, just turned 19, it's a miracle he is even playing at all).

He has pretty low TOG and that's how they manage his lack of stamina at present, but that also means everyone else is clocking up extra minutes to cover for that, so as a game goes on and fresh legs is valued more and more it makes sense to take him off especially if he is not ripping the game apart.

Really excited to see what he looks and plays like after 2 years in the gym, he's the player whose success I feel invested the most in.
Thanks mate, appreciate the response. Yeah it's gunna be a pleasure watching his journey

General admission seating info has been released (see below):

Shane Warne Stand
  • Q1-Q7
  • Q8-Q11 rows K-DD
Ponsford Stand
  • Q31-Q36 rows V-MM
Olympic Stand
  • Not available
AFL Reserve
Please note, seating in the AFL Reserve is available to AFL members only.
  • Q24-Q28 rows U-DD
CHEER SQUAD AREAS
Carlton:
M3 rows A-V
Hawthorn: M33 rows A-
Thanks for this. I assumed this game was sold out when I couldn't upgrade to a reserved seat. Didn't realise GA seats would be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back