Preview Round 22: Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday 11 August 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats 1-1-4 away from GMHBA in last 6… but we’ve been preparing for this time of year since the start of pre season. Mr. Scott you’ve delayed the criticism now it’s go time Sir!

Any chance of seeing a few posts in preview threads that aren’t tinged with this backhanded BS - it’s been the same things all season, it’s boring, tiring and surley time to give it up

If you can’t find joy in the preview & autopsy threads without resorting to this tone of posting, then maybe these aren’t the best threads in which to be participating

And as a reminder - Setting the Tone makes for a very useful read, especially the following paragraph:

2. Relentless or belligerent negativity OR positivity, especially where this is done to annoy other posters will not be tolerated. In assessing this issue mods will ask the question "is this poster genuinely interested in discussing or debating the issue?" If the answer is no, expect the mods to take some action.

They do, but it's also almost never this late in the year.

Of the last few years

• Cats finished the year on fire
  • So did the Dees
  • So did the Tigers 3x
  • So did WCE
  • So did Hawthorn

It's become a bit of a meme on here, but the premise still rings true: The premier is the team playing the best football in the last two months of the year.

It is a weird year, because that would rule out Port & Collingwood. Brisbane can't win it if they don't finish top 2 and the Dee's aren't exactly world beaters.

If there was a year to win it outside the 4, it looks like being this one.

Now, that doesn't mean it'll be us...but it's food for thought. I haven't rated Carlton once in the last 2 years, but they're heating up at the right time.
When I looked at the late season form of the eventual premiers a while back, I was surprised how bad it was. Admittedly this was a few years ago now, but still.

Good example: of all the premierships teams of the last decade, you would've expected the Dogs of 2016 to be the poster boys for an end of season hot streak, right? After all, their September form was irresistible.

Nope.

They dropped the last H&A game of that season to Fremantle, who were sitting 16th with a 3-18 record at the time. In fact their record over the last 6 games was 3-3, with losses to us and St Kilda (who also missed the finals that year) to go with the Freo debacle. And their 3 wins were hardly convincing against teams that finished 8th, 12th and 18th.

Cats 1-1-4 away from GMHBA in last 6… but we’ve been preparing for this time of year since the start of pre season. Mr. Scott you’ve delayed the criticism now it’s go time Sir!
It's been go time according to you since round 1, what makes now any different?

On the game, we're a good shout, but it doesn't really mean a whole lot if we can't get it done.

If we're any chance of contending this year we just have to get to the week off and recharge, and see what we can do after that. Too many banged up players.

When I looked at the late season form of the eventual premiers a while back, I was surprised how bad it was. Admittedly this was a few years ago now, but still.

Good example: of all the premierships teams of the last decade, you would've expected the Dogs of 2016 to be the poster boys for an end of season hot streak, right? After all, their September form was irresistible.

Nope.

They dropped the last H&A game of that season to Fremantle, who were sitting 16th with a 3-18 record at the time. In fact their record over the last 6 games was 3-3, with losses to us and St Kilda (who also missed the finals that year) to go with the Freo debacle. And their 3 wins were hardly convincing against teams that finished 8th, 12th and 18th.
All true, but the 2016 Dogs are the outlier for just about any footy statistic.

Average and young list, banged up injury wise, ended the year out of form.

While it's in the realms of possibility, I just choose to ignore them as a comparison for anyone.

Anything's possible, but it's a freak occurrence. The 2019 Giants are a better measuring stick for a banged up side going one step too far.

Nope.

2016 dogs were outliers on pretty much everything.

I’m not as fussed about our ladder position after 2019 - Finished top after dominating the first half of the year but we’re crawling towards finals. I think the coaches have since out a lot more emphasis on peaking at the right time of year. The problem is the season is quickly coming to an end and we’re yet to hit peak form

Pies are below their best ATM
Due to injuries and declining form
Blues and Hawks showed how to beat them
Pies don't have the greatest forwards
Instead rely on fast rebound attack.
Midfield defensive pressure is critical.

Cats also have their own vulnerability
As Swans Lions and Port have shown
Don't kick high or long to Cats interceptors
Instead exploit Cats D50 zone by short pass

Higher stakes for the Cats will help focus them
Pies will be desperate to eliminate a flag threat
Winner = Who can execute their game plan best.

Any chance of seeing a few posts in preview threads that aren’t tinged with this backhanded BS - it’s been the same things all season, it’s boring, tiring and surley time to give it up

If you can’t find joy in the preview & autopsy threads without resorting to this tone of posting, then maybe these aren’t the best threads in which to be participating

And as a reminder - Setting the Tone makes for a very useful read, especially the following paragraph:

2. Relentless or belligerent negativity OR positivity, especially where this is done to annoy other posters will not be tolerated. In assessing this issue mods will ask the question "is this poster genuinely interested in discussing or debating the issue?" If the answer is no, expect the mods to take some action.

This is a poster that will never change their behavior, or posting style.

They've been outed as a Richmond troll more than once. Same shtick every week for 22 weeks and counting. Been given more than enough chances, IMO.

They've been outed as a Richmond troll more than once. Same shtick every week for 22 weeks and counting. Been given more than enough chances, IMO.
True, but there's a moron on the main board who's even worse, and nobody's gotten rid of him even though he's on his umpteenth account now.

It's just the way things are. Idiots will be idiots, best not to give them what they want (E.g attention)

He's not a Richmond troll I don't think, just an anti-scott person who can't rattle that sabre any more so he's trying to make us all look as silly a possible in revenge

There's a great thread over on their board comparing their over 30s to ours. The OP seems pretty reasonable but the rabid fans quickly turn the thread into Geelong AFL Conspiracy Hour!

Did you know there was NO investigation into Dank at Geelong? That Uncle Steve SINGLE-HANDEDLY stopped Richmond winning flags and tweaked the rules so Geelong could win? Did you know that playing at KP is more of an advantage than playing at the MCG and getting unearned home finals?!

It's all true!*

*If you're a Tigers fan

The thing I find funny about the Richmond supporters' conspiracy about Steve Hocking being a Geelong plant at AFL House was that he was appointed as general manager of footy operations in August 2017 and then left the position in 2021.

In other words, Richmond had won nothing for years before Hocking arrived at AFL House, won 3 flags in 4 years when he was at the helm, and have done nothing since he left. It's almost like he was a Richmond plant!

Not expecting a win, and assuming we beat the Saints and Dogs, we don't need to win to make finals.
Could we win? Sure. But I just don't think we are in good enough form to push them all that close, particularly through the middle which has been a weakness for us all season.
However hoping the dog in Dangerfield comes out and a few of his fellow younger mids all jump on board and dominate.
Heart says Cats in a brilliant effort by 10 points.
Head says Pies comfortably, 5+ goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing I find funny about the Richmond supporters' conspiracy about Steve Hocking being a Geelong plant at AFL House was that he was appointed as general manager of footy operations in August 2017 and then left the position in 2021.

In other words, Richmond had won nothing for years before Hocking arrived at AFL House, won 3 flags in 4 years when he was at the helm, and have done nothing since he left. It's almost like he was a Richmond plant!
Ah, yes, but that's actually the evil genius of it all. On a shallow, 'sensible' reading of what went on, it would seem as if Hocking's presence at AFL House only served to fuel the mighty Tiger surge of recent seasons. But the measured, objective analysis of events clearly leads to the opposite conclusion.

Just imagine how unstoppable the Tigers would have been (and would still be), if not for Uncy Steve's conniving efforts to undermine their gloriously talented line-up? It would have been a fantastic four-peat, for sure. And there's no reason to believe they wouldn't still be piling on the premierships, season by season, if not for his incessant undermining of their unsurpassed legacy to the game.

As it is, they've been returned to the utterly 'unjust' status of being perennial underachievers, with their spirit name (#ninthsomething) potentially every chance of reemerging with a vengeance over the coming decades. So just imagine how you'd feel if an utterly iniquitous overlord had actually trampled down your rightful claim to perpetual success, and manipulated the entire football world into believing that your all-conquering football club just really wasn't that good again?

On the basis of all that, surely everyone can see how legitimate their claim to unjust treatment really is, right?

Everyone...?
Anyone...?
Bueller...?

#youknowitmakessense

A few thoughts:

-Parfitt seemed okay last weekend. 8 disposals from 24% game time - all handballs but mostly useful ones. i'd give him another crack or bring Knevitt in. Our only way of doing okay through the middle is weight of numbers and then relying on crippled Dangerfield's bursts at opportune times.

-Ratugolea to play the J.Henry role for the rest of the season. Miochek or McStay would be good match ups.

-Tackles: Z.Guthrie, Holmes, Smith, Tuohy, Bowes, Close and Stengle is a group of players that should have more than 3 tackles between them (as was seen in the Port game). Not good enough. Duncan had more by himself and is not blessed with speed these days.

-In the spotlight: Holmes and Close. In their best handful of games this season they've been huge. Both have incredible bursts within games (I thought Holmes was set for a cracker last week from his early efforts) but are then not getting involved consistently. Close is still having plenty of scoreboard impact but needs to help as that extra link player like Miers does (pushing 20 disposals). Holmes is required as both a dynamic wingman and prolific onballer. He has the talent to do it. Time to step up.

-Changes I'd like to see:

Out: J.Henry, Tuohy (sub)
In: Parfitt, Bews

Tuohy as a veteran sub would be perfect, he still has a great burst in him and can influence a game in that role. I'd keep Smith in because he still finds the footy and wins territory, which are two things we otherwise lack. I feel like we need to roll the dice on Bews in the seniors again before finals to see if he can perform that lockdown role for us. And like I said earlier we need more midfield support - if Parfitt can build on his sub performance he may even keep his spot.

-For the many obituaries written in the Freo autopsy thread and Port preview thread - if we win this week, are we back from the dead? Has our season been resuscitated? We were expected by most on here to lose the Bulldogs, Melbourne, Port and Collingwood games. Winning those 4 would surely cancel out the disappointing Freo loss.

A few thoughts:

-Parfitt seemed okay last weekend. 8 disposals from 24% game time - all handballs but mostly useful ones. i'd give him another crack or bring Knevitt in. Our only way of doing okay through the middle is weight of numbers and then relying on crippled Dangerfield's bursts at opportune times.

-Ratugolea to play the J.Henry role for the rest of the season. Miochek or McStay would be good match ups.

-Tackles: Z.Guthrie, Holmes, Smith, Tuohy, Bowes, Close and Stengle is a group of players that should have more than 3 tackles between them (as was seen in the Port game). Not good enough. Duncan had more by himself and is not blessed with speed these days.

-In the spotlight: Holmes and Close. In their best handful of games this season they've been huge. Both have incredible bursts within games (I thought Holmes was set for a cracker last week from his early efforts) but are then not getting involved consistently. Close is still having plenty of scoreboard impact but needs to help as that extra link player like Miers does (pushing 20 disposals). Holmes is required as both a dynamic wingman and prolific onballer. He has the talent to do it. Time to step up.

-Changes I'd like to see:

Out: J.Henry, Tuohy (sub)
In: Parfitt, Bews

Tuohy as a veteran sub would be perfect, he still has a great burst in him and can influence a game in that role. I'd keep Smith in because he still finds the footy and wins territory, which are two things we otherwise lack. I feel like we need to roll the dice on Bews in the seniors again before finals to see if he can perform that lockdown role for us. And like I said earlier we need more midfield support - if Parfitt can build on his sub performance he may even keep his spot.

-For the many obituaries written in the Freo autopsy thread and Port preview thread - if we win this week, are we back from the dead? Has our season been resuscitated? We were expected by most on here to lose the Bulldogs, Melbourne, Port and Collingwood games. Winning those 4 would surely cancel out the disappointing Freo loss.

Agree with that. Definitely need Parfitt up and running - not sure why he hasn't been given more of a run. His ability is traffic is Pendlebury-lite at times - and while his kicking isn't the greatest, his ability to deliver by hand is pretty good.

I think Mihocek is a bit too nimble and footy smart for Sav - McStay a better option, perhaps. I'd send Zuthrie to Mihocek. Elliott will be a difficult matchup - think he's too quick for Kolo, but he might go alright, especially if he puts a bit of body contact in.

Definitely Bews is to sit on Bobby Hill.

I'd be leaning towards Kolodjashnij on McStay - kept him goalless in the prelim last year, so why not give him first crack again on Friday night
Not quite the prelim. But I get what you mean.

EDIT: Sorry, you're right. He's definitely in a better line-up for an MCG match-up now, though.

Not quite the prelim. But I get what you mean.

EDIT: Sorry, you're right. He's definitely in a better line-up for an MCG match-up now, though.

All good - it can be easy to forget a players former team after they've changed clubs and neither club is the one you support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back