Game Day Round 22: Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday 11 August 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bingo. We need some of Close, Holmes, Z.Guthrie and if at all possible any veterans to step up their pressure/tackling game. We had Mitch bloody Duncan laying more tackles than half a dozen players combined who had every capacity to lay just as many individually.
Defence will also need to be better organised than it has been.

We are winning this tonight by 17. Pies have the wobbles bad, and are as injury ****ed as we are. They have players with niggles as well not to mention the players out injured. The only thing we have to do is make sure we don't leave Moore getting cheap marks on HB, and keep a tight leash on Elliott.

Just remember he can barely lift one arm and clearly has some other issue (his running/mobility and kick action have suffered for a while now).

I'm glad he's still putting his hand up, because even injured and out of form he has 14 scoring shots, 24 score involvements (that's a lot) and 3 goal assists over the past 3 weeks.

All he needs for now is to fix his radar but he is not kicking fluently at all unlike the first 9 rounds.
People really need to stop making excuses for him, the guys on massive money and every player is battling the odd niggle this time of year, he needs to lift.

People really need to st.op making excuses for him, the guys on massive money and every player is battling the odd niggle this time of year, he needs to lift.
He's got the yips with his goal kicking - mental or physical root cause, who knows. I share the frustration on that point, it's hurting us. But besides "Kick straight, stupid" what can we say? It has happened to plenty of great forwards over the years.

He's still getting involved plenty.

Over the past month he's averaged 14 disposals, 8 score involvements, 4.5 scoring shots and a goal assist.

As a reference point, 8 score involvements per game would be top 4 in the league for those to play more than 10 games this season.

Anyone accusing him of a disappearing act rather than faulty execution is not watching properly.

He's got the yips with his goal kicking - mental or physical root cause, who knows. I share the frustration on that point, it's hurting us. But besides "Kick straight, stupid" what can we say? It has happened to plenty of great forwards over the years.

He's still getting involved plenty.

Over the past month he's averaged 14 disposals, 8 score involvements, 4.5 scoring shots and a goal assist.

As a reference point, 8 score involvements per game would be top 4 in the league for those to play more than 10 games this season.

Anyone accusing him of a disappearing act rather than faulty execution is not watching properly.
The guy is paid to kick goals at the end of the day and hes kicked 12 in the last 9 weeks, that's piss poor by any metric let alone the guy you are paying 900k a year.

I could care less how many score involvements a guy has personally, real nothing stat when you can get a cheap kick at the start of a scoring chain and still get given the stat.

The guy is paid to kick goals at the end of the day and hes kicked 12 in the last 9 weeks, that's piss poor by any metric let alone the guy you are paying 900k a year.

I could care less how many score involvements a guy has personally, real nothing stat when you can get a cheap kick at the start of a scoring chain and still get given the stat.
Really sounds like you couldn't, actually.

I could care less how many score involvements a guy has personally, real nothing stat.
Alright well we agree on that point (that accuracy is the source of complaint), because only Curnow and Walker are generating more than 4.5 scoring shots over the whole season (i.e surpassing Cameron's last month). Then from key forwards only Curnow more than 8 score involvements/game and no key forwards are handing a goal off a game.

Score involvements are pretty important.

1. Petracca
2. Curnow
3. Greene
4. Bontempelli
5. J.Cameron
6. Walker
7. Coniglio
8. Hawkins
8. Miers
8. Martin

I would love for him to be kicking straight. But I would also be more concerned if he was on a run of 8 disposals a game, 4 score involvements, 2 scoring shots and 0.5 assists or something.

Or to put it another way, even Cameron in his current wayward form, if he was out of the side we're probably a 3 goal worse team at least.

Don’t anlways agree with Kane….but Jezza is due. And hopefully will deliver tonight

I hope so. His laser like accuracy for the first 9 weeks, if applied to his last month, would give him 14 goals to go with his 4 assists and everyone would be raving about him.

Bad kicking is bad football though, there's no getting around that.

Match ups won't be based on those team sheets unless by coincidence.

Pendles for instance will spend most of his time in midfield or at half back.

Z.Guthrie may play on Elliot. We don't have a great match up.

Bowes probably on a resting midfielder like Adams.

Stewart I'd say McCreery.

Ratugolea and De Koning you'd expect to take McStay and Miochek - I can't see who else they'd play on.

Ash Johnson would probably be an ideal fit for Kolo.

Unless it's a late change that won't be happening - Johnson was omitted last night, so not sure if he's going to be playing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless it's a late change that won't be happening - Johnson was omitted last night, so not sure if he's going to be playing
Thanks, I seem to have misread it.

Frampton is in but may be required for our marking forwards. It's hard to say now that Murphy has the all clear. Could Kolo or Sav take Frampton if he is swung forward?

I hope so. His laser like accuracy for the first 9 weeks, if applied to his last month, would give him 14 goals to go with his 4 assists and everyone would be raving about him.

Bad kicking is bad football though, there's no getting around that.
He looks like he's carrying an injury with the way he's kicking. He's lost 5m of penetration since early in the year and his left foot snaps which were deadly have been terrible.

He looks like he's carrying an injury with the way he's kicking. He's lost 5m of penetration since early in the year and his left foot snaps which were deadly have been terrible.
I've noticed it too. Undoubtedly there is a confidence issue that has seeped in too but he is pulling a lot of kicks, several are dropping short and he does not have that fluent action.

I realise it's "excuse making" but sometimes you just look at an otherwise beautiful kicker and think something must be up.

Thanks, I seem to have misread it.

Frampton is in but may be required for our marking forwards. It's hard to say now that Murphy has the all clear. Could Kolo take Frampton if he is swung forward?

Will Howe play forward or back - as a switch to the forward line will change the match ups a bit

I wouldn't want Kolodjashnij on him & instead we'd likely be trying to get Jake to match up on McStay like in the prelim

So is it SDK or Ratugolea on Howe, with the other on Miochek

Do or die, if we can't beat Collingwood tonight it's over for us. Need to seriously step up, last few games have been pretty ordinary but we've had a decent amount of practice playing together with a duct taped team, however this is all new to Collingwood and they're looking shaky, let's roll 'em and let the wobbles really start to take hold.

Feeling like this one might be won in the coaches box
RlIJzHt.png

I've noticed it too. Undoubtedly there is a confidence issue that has seeped in too but he is pulling a lot of kicks, several are dropping short and he does not have that fluent action.

I realise it's "excuse making" but sometimes you just look at an otherwise beautiful kicker and think something must be up.
It seems pretty clear that the issue started with his body and has now got into his head somewhat as well. You don't kick them that fluently over a long period of time and then suddenly become 'tight' (mentally), without a physical issue in view.

I'm not actually that hopeful he'll get it totally right again this year now. Seems the body is too banged up to me. But I certainly back him in to return to his best accuracy after some decent rest and a full preseason. He's simply way too talented to not be a weapon in front of goal if the body is right.

The question is though, what kind of injury just hangs around for ten weeks without improving, but leaves the medico's feeling like they might as well just leave him out there?

The medical team obviously doesn't think he'll get worse by playing, which rules out most kinds of bone damage, ligament injuries and soft tissue. He looks slow by foot and if it's true that his kicking is poorer, it would have to be lower-half body stuff. It wouldn't be anything foot/ankle related. And there's nothing else I can think of in his legs that would present with this kind of time-period / drop in performance.

Hip injury perhaps? Osteitis pubis?

The question is though, what kind of injury just hangs around for ten weeks without improving, but leaves the medico's feeling like they might as well just leave him out there?

The medical team obviously doesn't think he'll get worse by playing, which rules out most kinds of bone damage, ligament injuries and soft tissue. He looks slow by foot and if it's true that his kicking is poorer, it would have to be lower-half body stuff. It wouldn't be anything foot/ankle related. And there's nothing else I can think of in his legs that would present with this kind of time-period / drop in performance.

Hip injury perhaps? Osteitis pubis?
Yeah I was thinking an Osteitis pubis type issue - that type of injury where they could've called his season off or he can push through it. That type of issue is present when there's that cumbersome movement. He doesn't really look all that agile at the moment or that he would have a burst of pace to burn an opponent.

He's getting to positions and finding the footy but at least to my untrained eye doesn't look at his athletic peak. And then the shoulder injury presented a new issue.

Maybe there is an issue affecting his general movement and the actual kicking has strictly become a confidence issue. But it's certainly odd that his range seems to have gone down to 45-48m and straight rather than 55m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back