Preview Round 22 - Essendon v The Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium - Saturday 10/8/24 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy Perkins, Heppell and Wright aren't brought straight back in and will have to earn a call up, though it remains to be seen if Hepp lines up in the VFL or not.

Setterfield is an emergency, maybe keep an eye on that.

Like others have said, Hind must be out the door if Menzie is getting a game over him.

A lot of negativity in this thread considering we had a win last week.

I'm happy to see Hobbs back in. A little shocked that Hepp is still out, maybe that's a clear message for him to retire.

For people lamenting the lack of youth take a closer look. Roberts, Davey, Hobbs, Caddy then there's a decent group of 22-23 year olds like Martin, Cox, Jones, Caldwell, Durham, Bryan.

There's almost half the team without thinking about it that are 23 and under, we know Reid would be playing if fit likely in the place of Laverde, and several of those I listed are pivotal players now.

Players like Heppell and Wright aren't automatic selections any longer. Hind isn't getting a game just because he's older, possibly on the way out.

When you break the selection down I think Scott is getting a reasonable balance of youth and experience to keep our season alive. I hope he continues with it when we face Sydney and Brisbane, if he reverts to the Heppell/Wright type mantra then I'll be a bit pissed.

The Menzie selection has me a bit flummoxed though. If our season is done at any point I'd like a look at Hayes regardless of opposition too

For people lamenting the lack of youth take a closer look. Roberts, Davey, Hobbs, Caddy then there's a decent group of 22-23 year olds like Martin, Cox, Jones, Caldwell, Durham, Bryan.

There's almost half the team without thinking about it that are 23 and under, we know Reid would be playing if fit likely in the place of Laverde, and several of those I listed are pivotal players now.

Players like Heppell and Wright aren't automatic selections any longer. Hind isn't getting a game just because he's older, possibly on the way out.

When you break the selection down I think Scott is getting a reasonable balance of youth and experience to keep our season alive. I hope he continues with it when we face Sydney and Brisbane, if he reverts to the Heppell/Wright type mantra then I'll be a bit pissed.

The Menzie selection has me a bit flummoxed though. If our season is done at any point I'd like a look at Hayes regardless of opposition too
Agree, and Scott has always said he wants to debut players when they are ready to be a regular selection at senior level.

It is a fine line, play too many inexperienced players at once and we are North/West Coast level losses.

RE: Hayes. Given he just re-signed for another two years I can only assume he's comfortable with where he's at. He's still only 19, and physically he still needs a bit of size and strength.

It would be nice to see him at AFL level this season, he's played well all year in the VFL and Laverde isn't exactly in hot form right now, but I don't think it's dire if he doesn't.

Menzie is a 21 year old small forward in a team lacking small forward, with Guelfi and El-Hawli out injured and Jayden Davey coming from a really long way back, the cupboard is pretty bare. IMO might as well persist with the 21 year old.

RE: Hayes. Given he just re-signed for another two years I can only assume he's comfortable with where he's at. He's still only 19, and physically he still needs a bit of size and strength.

It would be nice to see him at AFL level this season, he's played well all year in the VFL and Laverde isn't exactly in hot form right now, but I don't think it's dire if he doesn't.

Menzie is a 21 year old small forward in a team lacking small forward, with Guelfi and El-Hawli out injured and Jayden Davey coming from a really long way back, the cupboard is pretty bare. IMO might as well persist with the 21 year old.
This

This is far too sensible for BF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back