Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2008
Somewhere
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Liverpool
By Packo

Premiership favourites Collingwood have wrapped up the minor premiership already. But this week’s game is very important for Collingwood. Hawthorn have been in good form. Coming off a one sided game against Fremantle, they will be looking to enter the finals in good form with a win over Collingwood here. But it won’t be easy for either side. If Hawthorn beat Collingwood this weekend and other results fall their way, Hawthorn will claim a home final and they wouldn't need to travel over to Subiaco or ANZ Stadium in the first week of finals.

The hopes of Josh Fraser appearing in the Collingwood side this week have been boosted with Leigh Brown failing to get off a one week ban and he will miss the important clash with Hawthorn. Fraser has a very good chance to break into the side after a 5 goal haul for VFL side 'Collingwood' and if he manages to break into the side and has a big game and proves himself, he might even hold onto that spot in the team and keep Brown out. If selected Josh Fraser will play his 200th game.

Key defenders Simon Prestigiacomo and Ben Reid will be vying for a spot in the side, after recovering from injury, also Paul Medhurst, Tarkyn Lockyer and Leon Davis are all trying to regain their spot in the side. Hawthorn is struck with Grant Birchall injured with a hamstring injury and he will definitely miss the blockbuster game! Superstar Luke Hodge faces a fitness test on his knee; Hawthorn wouldn't want to risk Hodge if he is not 100% especially with finals in one week’s time. Rhan Hooper, Liam Shiels and Ryan Schoenmakers should be all available, just depending on if Hawthorn want to unsettle the team from last week.

This game is like a final for both sides with pride and confidence on the line for both sides a loss here would unsettle their confidence heading into the finals.

Key Players:
Darren Jolly (Collingwood) – Darren Jolly has been in good nick over the last month, with an average of 25.5 hit outs a game. The in form ruckman has been pivotal in the dominance of the Pies midfield, and will have a significant role to play against the Hawks.

Dane Swan (Collingwood) – Dane Swan has been in career best form and is a key for the Brownlow medal, Swan has been the leader in the Collingwood midfield with the help from Pendlebury, Beams, Didak and Thomas, they have formed a dominant midfield, and will be hard to stop this week and finals time.

Shaun Burgoyne (Hawthorn) – Shaun Burgoyne is coming off arguably his best game in the brown and gold, with 37 disposals and 4 goals, he caused havoc for the Fremantle opposition and they clearly couldn't keep up with him. He will play a vital role in this week’s game against the Pies and he may even get the job on Swan or Pendlebury.

Lance Franklin (Hawthorn) – Lance Franklin has been in dominant form with 15 goals in the last month, he has been one of the best forwards all year with 56 goals for the year with an average of 3.5 goals a game. Franklin’s role in the forward line will be pivotal in the Collingwood game, and he has been in the main avenue for Hawthorn to goal this year.

What Hawthorn/Collingwood need to do to win:
This game is important for both clubs heading in to finals, they can’t afford a loss in Round 22, because it may affect their finals preparation and they can’t afford that. Both teams have a high quantity of experience and skill. Hawthorn will need to continue there hard brand of football, and this encounter is very important for them. Collingwood will need to stick to the football they have been playing, bar last week because they were lucky to scrape through in the end.

Collingwood’s attacking account of football has been great, with big men Cloke, Dawes, Brown and Jolly working well for the Pies, they will be have a big role to play bar Brown (serving one week on the sidelines for striking). Fraser could be called in to play in a role down forward to support the big forwards and ruck men.

SuperCoach Players to watch:
Dane Swan (COLL, MID, $670,500) – Swan has been the best SC scorer all year, he has fifteen consecutive 100 point games and has had a good year, last time Swan played against Hawthorn he racked up 130 points with a 34 disposal game, and will be required to be the general in the midfield for the pies.

Chance Bateman (HAW, MID, $306,200) – Bateman has been in good form, and had a superb game last time these teams met. He topped off his game with 113 SC points, 31 disposals, 7 marks and a goal. He is a key player in the Hawks midfield, and once he gets started he is hard to shut down.

Possible Match ups:
Josh Gibson vs Chris Dawes - With Leigh Brown out of the team, Collingwood will be relying on Dawes to produce his best up forward and may attract the attention of key defender Josh Gibson.

Shaun Burgoyne vs Dane Swan - The hardest task for Hawthorn will be to find the right match up for superstar Dane Swan. Swan has been in Brownlow form this year with a lot of high disposal games and is arguably the best player in the competition. Burgoyne will be a possible match up for the star, Burgoyne will be given the role to shut Swan out of the game and limit his impact on the game if he gets the task. Which would be a very difficult task for Burgoyne with Swan's elite work rate and his silky skills.

My Prediction:
With Hodge under an injury cloud and last time these teams met Hawthorn got walloped, and Hodge was a key player in that game, I can’t see Hawthorn getting over the line here, it will be a tough close game, but Collingwood are too strong and have enough balance and skill all over the field, they are just a superior side and will be a very hard team to match up on, especially their midfield of: Swan, Beams, Thomas, Pendlebury, Wellingham, Didak and Jolly’s control in the ruck. With Fraser also likely of a call up to replace Brown, the midfield and ruck dominance will be too strong for Hawthorn without Hodge in there, although they still do have class in there; Hodge is superior for his leadership around the ground. I will wrap it up at that, Collingwood should be too strong for Hawthorn, with there position on the ladder saying the least, they are dominant side and they are one of the flag favourites, Hawthorn are playing for a home final, they will determined to get that home final and edge out Fremantle and Sydney, however I can’t see that happening against a strong and settled side.

Tip: Collingwood by 23 points

Give us your feedback on the game, and tell us who you think will win the game and why and also who do you think will be the most important player in the game.

I thought I would share with you my latest match preview, I will throw up an extension paragraph or two when the teams are announced, to give a run down on the teams. Hope you enjoy :)

If you want to check out our other week at ASF check it out on:
ASF LINK: www.aussiesportsfan.com
ASF Match Preview Link: http://www.aussiesportsfan.com/2010/08/round-22-match-preview-hawthorn-vs_25.html

Feedback and comments would be appreciated.

In Daves absence this week it was fortuitous that Bid Bad Buddy asked if he could post his preview for the Hawks game. So cheers for the preview BBB :thumbsu:

It's almost certain now that Presti will miss this week which is a big out with Roughead and Buddy to contain. But Brown has been in good form, Reids likely matchup on Buddy after some time out with injury is a concern. If Hodge misses thats a huge out for Hawks. I'm not sure what to make of this game as it's a bit of a dead rubber for us and it's hard to tell how the team will respond. Hopefully they are hungry after last weeks near miss.

Franklin has smashed us in every game he's played against us. Good challenge for our defence to get some practice against a really dominant key forward before finals. I think it'll basically come down to how well Buddy and Roughy are held. If they're up and about it's always tough to beat the Hawks, though the lack of Hodge will help. Hopefully we'll gain ascendancy in the midfield and our press won't let it get into their 50 too often.

Thanks for that mate.

I don't think there will be much in this match, with both sides probably dropping their intensity just a touch leading into the finals.

I think the 2 sides will feel each other out for most of the game, before the last quarter becomes a real contest, with only a few goals in it either way.

If Hodge plays, and has an impact, I think the Hawks might win this one, just because they might want it that little bit more.

But if Hodge doesn't play, I think the Pies have more then enough talent to win a close game.

good work mate.

Agree with you on naming SHaun Burgoyne in your key players list. I think he has been very good for Hawthorn this year, but last week he definitely had his best game for the year, and it is happening at the right time.

At Port he was the number 1 tagged, whereas now he is not even considered. He scares me a bit to be honest because I have always thought has the Judd/Ablett ability to hit a pack at full pelt and break from it. A real match-winner.

Also correct call on Jolly. Your ruckmen are still far from a strength, so containing Jolly's influence becomes a key.

Your defence has improved with guys like Stratton and Gibson making their mark. But it is still undersized...so guys like Dawes and Cloke could take some strong marks.

The obvious key for the Hawks is midfield. They have such a strong midfield, and obviously the aces up forward. So if Collingwood contains you in the middle, then we have the more even side across the park and should do enough to win.

I'd say your top 10 is better than our top 10....but our depth is far superior. However, if your top 10 get on top, then Hawthorn can beat anyone. Losing Hodge would be a big loss however because he always has a field day against us.

Obviously Buddy did not play last time, and Presti won't play this time...so this is a worry. We will most likely be without Didak as well.

I got a feeling Hawks could get up here because our attention seems to be on finals, and Hawks have a home final on the line. Will be close...i just hope there will be no injuries.

Nice review BBB but the thing I don't agree with is that the game is very important for Collingwood.

Collingwood actually have very little to play for and this is a major concern. I think a lot of our blokes may run around alot trying not to get injured.

I'm very concerned about this game and think the Hawks will win, especially if Hodge plays.

Head to head and swan will win a lot of ball... But agree... They would be better off sending sewell i perhaps for a head to head roll with swan. Burgoynes silky possessions would just go to waste trying to shut down swan IMHO.

I think that a lot of people are over rating buddy. Sure he's great, love him, prob my fav player. But I just don't think he'd be able to tear the collingwood defence a new one like he did years back. Again opinion

If we can't control Buddy, Hawthorn by over 7 goals.

If we CAN control Buddy, Collingwod by over 7 goals.

Buddy is going to kick 14 goals?

I actually think Hawks have much more to play for than us and will win. A possible home final on the line whereas we already know whats up ahead for us. Hopefully we still come to play but we have nothing to gain from going 100%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't agree that burgoyne will have a shut down role on Swan. As far as i know burgoyne has never been a negating player. If they line up on each other, it will be head to head.

I think Bateman will go to Swan. The only one at Hawthorn who really has the pace and endurance to go with him. Think it should be a good match up actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back