Game Day Round 22 vs. Sydney, SCG, 7:40pm Friday 09/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not the one spreading the bs tRaInInG lOAds crap. Seriously blaming Sydney's last 5-6 weeks and a 112pt loss on that is absolute crap.

Look at our run home in the 2023 H&A season off the back of increased training loads.

Not sure if VFL players fly up today & separate to the AFL boys, so it may not tell us anything about Krueger, Ned & Richards being in these pics with the team 🥴

We know you love the the club the mostest of anyone out there.

Was an extra 2 years on the deal wasn't it?
If you say so.

You called me emotional and I agreed. Then you have a dig. What's your problem?

I thought it was one. Nothing changes. Play well, show your worth and you get another. Three year contracts are broken as easily as one year contracts. We have older players still playing who are hoping for one year extensions. Back yourself in.

Port’s marking forwards had a field day against Swans’ shaky defence. I think we need to follow that example and bring in Kreuger to really stretch them.

No doubt Sydney will be better at home but after their past month, they will be filled with self-doubt. If we bring Finals-like pressure and jump them early, the Swans wheels might just fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sydney likely to get Rampe and Melican back to bolster their defence.

If you say so.

You called me emotional and I agreed. Then you have a dig. What's your problem?

I thought it was one. Nothing changes. Play well, show your worth and you get another. Three year contracts are broken as easily as one year contracts. We have older players still playing who are hoping for one year extensions. Back yourself in.
Nonsense - 3 year contract are not "broken" as far as the player getting the dough is concerned.

Nonsense - 3 year contract are not "broken" as far as the player getting the dough is concerned.
Call me old fashioned. So he walked out for more money? After a decade of probably averaging more than 500K a year he is in fear of the debt collector knocking at his door? If others think that should be the driving factor in a career that's their prerogative.

If you are an unknown kid at the start of his career who gets a big offer I get it, but when established players on a long period of good coin with a club they claim to love, walk out for more from another club, I am not a fan.

Call me old fashioned. So he walked out for more money? After a decade of probably averaging more than 500K a year he is in fear of the debt collector knocking at his door? If others think that should be the driving factor in a career that's their prerogative.

If you are an unknown kid at the start of his career who gets a big offer I get it, but when established players on a long period of good coin with a club they claim to love, walk out for more from another club, I am not a fan.
I think I have gone through this with you before. If you can't see the attraction of a certain two more years of income in career twilight, then you don't understand the commercial realities and uncertainties that professional sportspeople face.

Just because you seem to think he has earned plenty doesn't mean he doesn't need to earn more. As income rises, so do expenses(and expectations).

More like a bit over $2m more than average - see above. And that is presuming the high earner isn't human and doesn't spend a bit more given the extra cash in his sky rocket.

Not to mention that for the vast majority of footballers, they leave the game after a lot less than 10 years, and with a lot less work experience that transfers across to future employment.
Yep. After tax it’s even less profitable. Hardly worth pulling on the boots.

Elimination Final #2
We showed up for 2.5qtrs last week and got the job done!! How good was that.
This week id expect the best from Sydney but they have some players horribly out of form. Cox and McStay have definitely has a positive influence in the forward line and Darcy Moore last week was really good.
Not sure what changes will be this week but interested to see if Krugs comes back in.

Massive game again and one that holds a special spot for me as me dad who passed 6 weeks ago was a passionate Swans supporter and would be giving me so much crap this week about the footy ( i miss that so much )

Pies by 25pts
Nick 33 and 2 Goals

Yep. After tax it’s even less profitable. Hardly worth pulling on the boots.
It's what stopped me going on with it.

But seriously, this illustrates the widespread misconception about AFL footballers being "set for life". The very rare few will have accumulated sufficient wealth to be able to live off passive income, but for the majority of blokes(this isn't even considering players with sub-5 year careers), if they get out of the game with a house paid off, they will have done well.

Income and wealth are separate concepts. The big contracts typically don't have additional match payments.

Earning $500k means you take home around $300k. Compare that to say $98k which has a take home of around $66k.

A few years of that, even 10 years, followed by a return to average wage, might get a decent house paid off, but that's about it.

Hence why I said by what standard?

By the “average person” or “average salary” measure it’s definitely would make you incredibly wealthy.

Unless you’re just horrible with money or allowed your lifestyle to increase to a level that essentially negates the increase in salary.

Hence why I said by what standard?

By the “average person” or “average salary” measure it’s definitely would make you incredibly wealthy.

Unless you’re just horrible with money or allowed your lifestyle to increase to a level that essentially negates the increase in salary.
Once again, income and wealth are separate. Wealth is what you own, not what you earn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again, income and wealth are separate. Wealth is what you own, not what you earn.

Ok?

But the two are generally intrinsically linked no?

If your income is high, you should be able to build/generate wealth. Particularly when you have access to professional financial advice/assistance. Which footballers do.

Again, unless you’re terrible with money.

Elimination Final #2
We showed up for 2.5qtrs last week and got the job done!! How good was that.
This week id expect the best from Sydney but they have some players horribly out of form. Cox and McStay have definitely has a positive influence in the forward line and Darcy Moore last week was really good.
Not sure what changes will be this week but interested to see if Krugs comes back in.

Massive game again and one that holds a special spot for me as me dad who passed 6 weeks ago was a passionate Swans supporter and would be giving me so much crap this week about the footy ( i miss that so much )

Pies by 25pts
Nick 33 and 2 Goals
SLUURRRRRPPPPP YES PLEASE! 🤤

Also, sorry about your old man. I hope you and your family are doing okay ❤️

My mother would have been a south Melbourne fan. Fortunately, the Grandfather turfed the scarf she had from the orphanage, and dressed her in black and white.

Your old man notwithstanding, I’ve been to the SCG. Their supporter base are hopeless. God willing, we continue the downward trend for them tomorrow night 😁

Last edited:
Ok?

But the two are generally intrinsically linked no?

If your income is high, you should be able to build/generate wealth. Particularly when you have access to professional financial advice/assistance. Which footballers do.

Again, unless you’re terrible with money.
I set it out earlier - the term "incredibly wealthy" to describe a bloke who might have earned an extra 2mil or so over a 10 year period is just wrong.

I set it out earlier - the term "incredibly wealthy" to describe a bloke who might have earned an extra 2mil or so over a 10 year period is just wrong.

In your opinion.

If one’s not incredibly wealthy after 10 years on 500K a year then that’s a problem with the person earning the money

Not the amount they’re earning

In your opinion.

If one’s not incredibly wealthy after 10 years on 500K a year then that’s a problem with the person earning the money

Not the amount they’re earning
Depends on what you define as wealthy - which you seem to be unable to do? Any reasonable definition of what might constitute "incredible"(silly term - i reckon incredible suggests a superyacht or two) wealth would be the accumulation of significant investment assets to provide a significant passive income.

I have provided you with very simple numbers that might see someone like the apocryphal 10 year $500k player have a nice house paid off. But that's about it.

And you are living in a dream world if you don't think higher earners spend more. That's only human.

So to go back to the initial discussion on Adams, seeking more money in his career twilight, or even just increased career longevity, is entirely reasonable.

We should expect a very aggressive first quarter from Sydney Friday. If I were the Sydney coach I’d be dropping some senior players and giving the fringe players a go.

Provided we can withstand that and impose our own game style, we are in with a really good chance. We travel really well, not so excited about playing at the SCG but we are in with a good chance.

Crisp will need to play the Degoey line breaking role. That will be key in the midfield.

The rest of the team just needs to be clean, we take out chances we win…we can’t afford to be wasteful.

With our pressure and X factor, Sydney will be very concerned playing us atm.

Tipping a Collingwood 10 goal win by 5 points.

The Swans have been dog shit in first quarters all season.

It'll be fascinating to watch because they could easily be too wound up in the 1st quarter tomorrow, which might actually play into our favour.

this game still could be finals determining for us - IF we win the next two.

Maybe they're also hedging their bets - Friday night is prime time for TV so reckon they've done this just in case there is a glimmer of hope for finals for us - they also will always get the ratings for our game anyway.

The AFL will be hoping that a final round win gets us into the 8 with the remaining games to determine whether we make it into the finals or not. Bring on the wildcard round this year i say.

Typical emotional club supporter response. He would have been mad not to look around when his spot was under threat. The 3 year offer was too good to refuse.

Although his interviews this year were a bit ordinary.

They were putrid. Showed zero class on the way out.

I hope we belt these campaigners tomorrow night, they end up finishing 7th and go out in the first week of the finals.

Look at our run home in the 2023 H&A season off the back of increased training loads.

Even before the past 2 weeks, the swans form has fallen off a cliff since the mid point of the year.

We didn't tank until the final month of the season when top 2 was sown up.

The Swans get rolled tomorrow and they can kiss top 2 goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back