Game Day Round 22 vs. Sydney, SCG, 7:40pm Friday 09/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With JDG unavailable, I don't see how we can discard Ned Long from the midfield. he fact that he wasn't able to nullify Cripps is hardly a reasonable criticism. It was up to the entire team to hold Cripps, and it must be said that we weren't able to. To expect a 5th gamer to, who was never a top draft pick, is pretty unreasonable. I don't think it is accurate to say that Long did nothing. He applies tackles and win space for our creative mids. With such a lack of inside mid physical presence in atm, I don't see how dropping him could improve the prospects of winning.

As was mentioned by another poster earlier, the Swans were exposed in defence by PA's tall forward line so there is an argument for bringing Kreuger in to play alongside McStay in a Checkers like role. Since JDG was playing predominantly in as a forward, we could aim to cover his absence from the midfield by giving extra time to Beau and Jamie there.

The only possible improvement would be to replace Bytel with HH, if HH proves himself in training after a rest. I think HH can add more offensive possiblities that Bytel, and HH can also supply energy through the midfield.

Lipinski to stay sub, because we win when he's the sub.;)
we discard long because hes hopeless

With JDG unavailable, I don't see how we can discard Ned Long from the midfield. he fact that he wasn't able to nullify Cripps is hardly a reasonable criticism. It was up to the entire team to hold Cripps, and it must be said that we weren't able to. To expect a 5th gamer to, who was never a top draft pick, is pretty unreasonable. I don't think it is accurate to say that Long did nothing. He applies tackles and win space for our creative mids. With such a lack of inside mid physical presence in atm, I don't see how dropping him could improve the prospects of winning.

As was mentioned by another poster earlier, the Swans were exposed in defence by PA's tall forward line so there is an argument for bringing Kreuger in to play alongside McStay in a Checkers like role. Since JDG was playing predominantly in as a forward, we could aim to cover his absence from the midfield by giving extra time to Beau and Jamie there.

The only possible improvement would be to replace Bytel with HH, if HH proves himself in training after a rest. I think HH can add more offensive possiblities that Bytel, and HH can also supply energy through the midfield.

Lipinski to stay sub, because we win when he's the sub.;)
DeGoey played predominantly forward, albeit he tried to come up to stoppage on occasion and also had 3 CBA (before injuring his hammy).

So either Kreuger or Reef (or even AJ) to play 3rd mid-tall role behind Cox and McStay. Need to stretch the Swans defence.

Given someone will need to be given a role to try and limit 'the lizard's' run, reckon Reef might be the best fit (or WHE might get this job). Other consideration is size/shape of SCG and whether all of Kreuger, Cox & McStay might make us too slow.

As suggested, I'd also bring in Markov or HH to play wing instead of Bytel. Whilst Bytel was okay'ish he plays safe & doesn't offer much run. Both Markov & HH both quicker and more dynamic. Markov can start on wing and also switch (if need be) with Josh to half-back.

I'd leave Lippa as sub.

The only other possible change is Long. Watched the replay and he did ok against carlton, leaning on their bigger bodied mids and largely breaking even at stoppage (apart from last 18 mins when Cripps got a hold of him). That said, he doesn't offer much offensively and i'm not sure he's an ideal match against the Swans nippier mids.

If Long exits then who comes in ..MaCrae (lacks a yard & what i'd give for M.Holmes), Allan (heat will be on so they won't go this way), Sullivan (rather stick with Long). Only other option is to bring in J.Richards to play forward and then have McCreery + Schultz play some on-ball minutes. I actually don't mind this option cos I've been saying for a while, we don't have enough options to rotate through the centre square /on-ball. That said, reckon they'll go conservative and stick with Long.

Is it just me thinking this or is it strange that Sydney are such heavy favorites in this game? They've been really bad the past month and this week's game was an abomination. I know teams can respond after a bad loss, but surely the odds should be closer if not 50/50 each way.

I kinda found that odd too

I expected Swans to be favourites but by that much? uh...ok

I actually reckon we'll beat them lol. I'm more confident of beating Sydney than I was of us beating Richmond

Every game is an Elimination Final for us from here and we need to bring the requisite level of intensity across the whole team.

To my eye, Lipinski is the least intense player on the field. He rarely puts his body on the line to make a big tackle or bump. He turns up late to contests and joins in tackles initiated by others, which makes him look like he’s playing contested footy but really, he isn’t. In a gladiatorial battle for survival, I see him as the weakest link.

I feel similarly about Bytel. So I’d go with:

OUT: DeGoey, Lipinski, Bytel
IN: Kreuger, Harrison, Parker

Realistically though, I only expect a straight swap of DeGoey & Kreuger.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just plugged in the ladder predictior and even if hypothetically, we win on Friday night and all the favourites win (Lions, Freo, Dons, Port, Dogs) + Hawks beat Carlton, we’ll be at best half a game outside the 8. Should Suns win against the Dons it’s only percentage. That’s how close it is atm
I reckon we make it

Attachments

• IMG_1582.png
    IMG_1582.png
    143 KB · Views: 40
I love it, sets up a pies v bloos elimination final. We get to inflict more pain to the scum.

Yeah I just did a bunch of permutations again and tried to keep it grounded and realistic as possible with us still making it in and the most realistic one has us playing Carlton in the first final holy shit

Yeah I just did a bunch of permutations again and tried to keep it grounded and realistic as possible with us still making it in and the most realistic one has us playing Carlton in the first final holy shit
Hey Cuz. I'd be more grounded if we'd manage to win at least two of those four we bottomed out in before the Richmond game. What's the deal with those? Focus on positives now yes, I know, yadda yadda. But this season has completely imploded. I don't think we even have the option of bringing Checkers back, do we? He's had a fork put in him, along with JDG? My feeling is the same. We probably do Sydney. Never too early to worry about the Bears, though. They have come from nowhere. Even have 15 goals on Port. God help me we draw the Bears in finals, IFF we get there...

Hey Cuz. I'd be more grounded if we'd manage to win at least two of those four we bottomed out in before the Richmond game. What's the deal with those? Focus on positives now yes, I know, yadda yadda. But this season has completely imploded. I don't think we even have the option of bringing Checkers back, do we? He's had a fork put in him, along with JDG? My feeling is the same. We probably do Sydney. Never too early to worry about the Bears, though. They have come from nowhere. Even have 15 goals on Port. God help me we draw the Bears in finals, IFF we get there...

If we get over Sydney we should be fine

Melbourne has been our bitch for 6 years and we’ve now scarred Brisbane thanks to the Grand Final

As long as we hold up our end of the bargain we should be ok. If we can manage a couple of big wins (like 35+) it would help a lot

Checkers and Mitchell can be back (though unlikely) for finals if we make it.

De Goey is cooked though. But if we make finals we could go in only missing De Goey. Which I’ll take at this point.

Last edited:
Comrade, before proposing this Devil's Tango...

Did you do your numbers on a draw?

(Hawthorn goaling after siren from 60 metres from dubious free kick)

Hawthorn's easier draw and existing percentage gap on us means 2 points gives similar outcome to Carlton victory
Good point Walt - draws could be our friend.

Melbourne has been our bitch for 6 years and we’ve now scarred Brisbane thanks to the Grand Final

As long as we hold up our end of the bargain we should be ok. If we can manage a couple of big wins (like 35+) it would help a lot

Checkers and Mitchell can be back for finals if we make it.

De Goey is cooked though. But if we make finals we could go in only missing De Goey. Which I’ll take at this point.
Checkers tore his pec. He’s out for the year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Checkers tore his pec. He’s out for the year?

That’s what I thought but Crisp this morning made it sound like there’s a chance he returns.

But I did edit my post saying it’s unlikely either Mitchell or Mihocek return

Checkers and Mitchell can be back (though unlikely) for finals if we make it.

Also, likely hood of us making finals is very slim. Let’s be honest. Too many factors to rely upon and we have to win every game. I’d be utterly amazed if we scraped in.

Also, likely hood of us making finals is very slim. Let’s be honest. Too many factors to rely upon and we have to win every game. I’d be utterly amazed if we scraped in.

I think us winning all 3 is the less realistic part

We actually don't need too many things to go our way results wise if we win all 3.

I think us winning all 3 is the less realistic part

We actually don't need too many things to go our way results wise if we win all 3.
I'd be amazed if we won all three. I can't see it happening, but we'll see soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back