Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

f-me 12 pages already. Must have been a hell of an implosion.

So, I managed to listen to about 3 minutes of the first quarter in the car, but otherwise missed the game.

Someone want to tell me what happened.

And what's with all the Dev talk?

Posters are confused about our sub selection philosophy and the reasons particular players are getting chosen, due to poor communication from the club.

An in form Prior was chosen last week tall key back cover, particularly with Joyce's injury.

An in form Sharp was chosen to cover the Magpies run where we have been burnt previously.

Had a laugh at the suggestion Dev should have been picked because of Berry's potential injury though.

The other thing that perplexed me was that Dev must be really on the nose if we had Sharp in ahead of him. Sharpie's disposal has been the same since he started. Dev's just so much better in close and his disposal is miles better , not that it's all that hot either.
I thought sharp was another cog in our machine that went from being woeful at the start of the season to being a team full of run and purpose with run . A big part of our short game and spread and great in defence
My thoughts ,it was unfortunate for him that he was omitted
Now today he was disappointing to how he was playing earlier in the seniors. Take your chances as they say and he was underwhelming but probably not the worst player.

Posters are confused about our sub selection philosophy and the reasons particular players are getting chosen, due to poor communication from the club.

An in form Prior was chosen last week tall key back cover, particularly with Joyce's injury.

An in form Sharp was chosen to cover the Magpies run where we have been burnt previously.

Had a laugh at the suggestion Dev should have been picked because of Berry's potential injury though.
I see the reasoning.

But I've never seen Harry's running as any weapon at Senior level . And against a side like the Pies the rest of him is a big liability.

Not pretending that we're spoilt for choice.

I think at this stage, our options are:
  • beat the Bombers, finish 5th, host Carlton in W1
  • we lose to the Bombers, finish 8th, take on the Dogs in W1.

Honestly, I know the dogs are getting a bit of talk recently, but I'm not rating them. I'm thinking either matchup is fine.

I'd say we're no chance, but honestly, apart from Hawthorn, I'm not sure who is really in better form at the moment. We are shaky, but Sydney are super-shaky, Geelong, Port, Carlton, the Dogs... all shaky. And I think we can beat the Giants when push comes to shove.

I'm not saying we're the premiers. I'm just saying that this year, we're as good a shot as anyone else...

Missing goals was obviously a major factor and incredibly frustrating. But because of our long injury list there are a couple of players who wouldn’t be getting a game otherwise. And they are now costing us big time. Brain should have been dropped after his last quarter efforts last week and he was similar tonight. Sharp is the same, he has zero composure and no football smarts whatsoever. We can’t go into the finals with either of those guys in the side. Top sides find a weakness and play through them and that was so obvious watching at the ground tonight.

I'd have us favourites in both. I don't think we are reliable enough to call it an easy win, but id still say we're favourites.

Don’t disagree, but hard to see us winning multiple away games in a row against other finals teams. Yes everyone has vulnerabilities, but hard to trust is.

It could happen but is unlikely that we could win 4 coin flips in a row, primarily on the road.

Last edited:
Harry Sharp - for all the focus on using your weapons, I think I've seen him hit full speed on a football field once. I just dont get the appeal.

Joyce had a game to forget, but obviously can't drop him at present.
Yeah, sharp isn't fast......he can just run for a long time but that's not that valuable because of the interchange.

We haven’t got the most intelligent team going around. Sometimes it’s not so much desire we lack it’s just pure footy smarts. That counts for a lot in the ‘clutch moments’.

Even something simple like not getting too close to the man on the mark for a set shot from 20m. Like how many times can you possibly do that before eliminating that from your game. The man on the mark is literally standing still every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched Fages post match presser. It must be tough to front up in these circumstances and he said what he could.

Just one thing. With all the money in the game couldn't the AFL toss a few shekels in getting the journos adequately miked up in the post match inquisition.

It's so unprofessional. Has anyone ever been able to decipher a single question asked. I can't see how anyone in AFL admin wouldn't look at this and think well we look like a bunch of amateurs.

So much wisdom in hindsight, so much scapegoating of individual players.

I'm actually pretty disgusted at the vitriol" being directed towards Zac Bailey, Joe, Cal , Brain and others.

I thought our guys tried their guts out.

It was a shattering loss from so many angles but there's no doubt in my mind that we win if not for the avalanche of one way umpiring calls in the last quarter.

I think the guys will be hurting like hell. Two losses in a row when they had the games in the palm of their hand

Instead of throwing in the towel, can we maybe please have a bit of empathy with how our guys are feeling instead of sooking about our own hurt little feelings?

I really hope certain players don't read the stuff on here or other Social Media platforms

I don't really care about whether Freo beat some other ****ers or not. We just showed what sort of team we are......and we're pathetic flat track bullies full of themselves down hill skiers who need a season in the ressies to build their mental toughness.
let's face it we're rubbish. I'd prefer we didn't play finals and instead give our spot to a team that is a proper team.
That was one of the worst performances by a lions/ bears team i can remember. What a bunch of ****ing pretenders

I am so sick and tired of Bailey thinking he's Dustin Martin, you're a boy, and your game awareness belongs in the u15s. He needs to be dropped, the fact we've got DevRob with one foot out the door and this joker in our best is a joke.

I couldn't even put Joe in my top 5 with his clangers today.

Absolutely depressing to see the wheels coming off just in time for finals. Two weeks in a row we should have had the door closed by half time and we just keep leaving it ajar.

I think I preferred it when we were playing the kids and looking forward to 2025, this crushing of hope is too depressing.

Just got home from the G. Well what can i say that probably hasnt already been spoken about. First of all when Joey was running the ball down to cheersquad end and charlie was seriously 15 metres in front of his opponent and Joey decides to go for a bounce and stuff the thing up. He could see charlie running towards the goal square but did not kick it to him and tried to bounce. No good this play Joey sorry. Zac Bailey, okay if you dont decide to handball then at least get your kick away, surely you would have scored something i reckon. Geez that was frustratating . I have not watched the replay yet but when Mccreery kicked that goal was anyone goal side of him at all. Need to see it again but noone seemed to be near him.
What another frustrating day from our footy club. Not sure what it is, when the going gets really tough do we really want to get down and dirty, i dont know. Im having a sleep on it but seriously another frustrating day today.
Brain was supposed to be on McCreery but left him free just like he did twice last week in the last quarter which resulted in the match winning goals to GWS. He was dragged straight away tonight but it was too late unfortunately.

So much wisdom in hindsight, so much scapegoating of individual players.

I'm actually pretty disgusted at the vitriol" being directed towards Zac Bailey, Joe, Cal , Brain and others.

I thought our guys tried their guts out.

It was a shattering loss from so many angles but there's no doubt in my mind that we win if not for the avalanche of one way umpiring calls in the last quarter.

I think the guys will be hurting like hell. Two losses in a row when they had the games in the palm of their hand

Instead of throwing in the towel, can we maybe please have a bit of empathy with how our guys are feeling instead of sooking about our own hurt little feelings?

I really hope certain players don't reaad
This has been really mild compared to other team threads.

I'm sure the players are educated from the get go not to take the thoughts of fans who are in an emotional state after games to heart.

The criticisms for the most part are fair. Of course some people can get carried away. I always try to remember what Malcolm Blight said. Every time I'm about to go off at a player I try to remind myself how difficult the game was to play.

If you're an elite sportsman you revel in the adoration and cop the criticism. It goes with the territory if you're in the public eye.

Joe probably got potted for this, but why didn’t Charlie double back and lead to basically anywhere he wanted to?

Charlie was leading to the goal square. All joe had to do was kick it for charlie to mark and run into an open goal square.We had a great view of this at the game. Charlie didnt have to double back. All joe had to do was kick it to charlie and not bounce the ball. Im not sure what charlie should have done differently. Everyone around was going off at Joe so yes he deserved to be potted for this. I would have dragged Joe to be honest and had a nice subtle chat but hey thats only my opinion.

Charlie was leading to the goal square. All joe had to do was kick it for charlie to mark and run into an open goal square.We had a great view of this at the game. Charlie didnt have to double back. All joe had to do was kick it to charlie and not bounce the ball. Im not sure what charlie should have done differently. Everyone around was going off at Joe so yes he deserved to be potted for this. I would have dragged Joe to be honest and had a nice subtle chat but hey thats only my opinion.

Daniher only had 1 thing in mind and that was doing it himself. A clear mentality of this team.

Didn't see it that way myself and it's already been covered at length on this thread.

Joes was 3 or 4 little things and a couple of missed shots off having a 10/10 game.

He went to the backline and busted his gut trying to stem the flow several times.

People expect far too much of him when the majority of the time he's a gun.

One thing that I don’t understand is why our smaller forwards don’t want to lead up at the ball. There were a few occasions tonight where we had two players running back towards goal and trying to get a kick over the top when one of them could have broken and led towards the ball carrier for an easy mark. It looks like they don’t have the confidence to take a set shot at goal and hope for the easy one out the back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back