Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The bolded? Seriously, do you pine for the good old pre Chris Fagan days of 2016?
I pine for all those Post Fagan Premierships that are just around the corner.

Well hello all you guys. Having posted on here in past years this is my first post this year for a reason. That being maybe I thought I was too critical of the Coaches, Selections, Game Plans A and B, Kicking, Cannot perform for four quarters,fade-outs, playing out of form players and more. I never at any stage this year thought we were a chance to win the premiership. Even in the last quarter my wife said to me we are going to win, I said to her you watch we will not win this. Unfortunately Brisbane are soft and mentally fragile. Since Fagan has been at Brisbane nothing had been rectified - Nothing has improved. We have gone backwards and teams are passing us because they see we are team that cannot take pressure and hence crumble. Yesterday seeing Fagan chewing his gum, hands in pockets on the boundary was a total loss whereas Fly was up and about with enthusiasm and pumping his side up - Bloody Fantastic. Fagan is probably a good man but I have said early in the peace we will not win a premiership with him as coach. I have seen many coaches not in the AFL that would put Fagan to shame. Unfortunately we are going to live in hope for a few years more until changes are made for the better. Forever Lions.
I can’t believe what I just read ,but hope you feel better after getting that off your chest .

Personally for me and despite the heartache and highs and lows of having Fagan as our coach , it’s been an amazing journey where he has taken us from the depths of despair to almost the top of the mountain .

If you are happy to go back to the era before him , you are welcome .

I will try to move on from last night and continue the journey to wherever it takes us .

Been an adventurous ride so far and I will keep hanging on for it .

I love Fagan, aboslutely think what he has done for the club is next level, along with a few others. I've been quite open about my desires to see a succession plan put in place as I don't want him sacked but the club is just not fair dinkum if they're not even remotely considering it/planning it. You cannot extend him at this point, his age alone is catching up and we don't want to look at Port/Hinkley and see how things can get even worse with time between fanbase/coach.
I'm with you. One more bite at the cherry for Fages, and then we need to see if another coach can get us over the hump. Winning a premiership isn't easy, but if Fages can't do it with Neale, Cameron and Daniher in their primes, I can't imagine he's suddenly going to be able to do it when they're all 32 and starting to decline.

Tough watch when Nathan Brown is summing up what went wrong.

Give me someone to rewatch the game and put a package of all the mistakes together and I could make most footballers look like this

Utter nonsense to suck in idiots. Footballers aren’t perfect. All of the probably 100 decisions they make in a game won’t be the right ones

Give me someone to rewatch the game and put a package of all the mistakes together and I could make most footballers look like this

Utter nonsense to suck in idiots. Footballers aren’t perfect. All of the probably 100 decisions they make in a game won’t be the right ones
I agree. I do admit though that Joe torp to no one in particular did piss me off. I know, I know it’s Joe being Joe but at some stage that shit just needs to be reigned in. He only brings the noise on himself doing shit like that. I get you don’t want to take away his natural flair, but that was honestly just stupid.

I agree. I do admit though that Joe torp to no one in particular did piss me off. I know, I know it’s Joe being Joe but at some stage that shit just needs to be reigned in. He only brings the noise on himself doing shit like that. I get you don’t want to take away his natural flair, but that was honestly just stupid.

Yeah the torp was bad, even for Joe. But he’s likely to be top 5 in the Coleman for a second straight year so perfectly happy to have him

Even if he’s not perfect

Could not agree more, David King is a beauty for it, he and/or his Champion Data Minions troll through vision of games selectively editing footage to suit their click bait narratives.

King is such a bloviating tryhard expert.

While I disagree with trading Bailey, it's not exactly one HTB - the moment Quaynor came on to the screen I knew what was going to happen because somehow Bailey never knows when he's getting chased down.

If he fixed that and his desire to fend you'd have all the goodness and 10% of the **** ups. That would be quite a player.

His team mates should be aware of this and screaming "get rid of the ****ing ball Zac!"

Don't think anyone would take him.
Just seems a fraction small to break the tackles with strength , or to make them effectively.
Could ask the Gold Coast for Rowell (for Bailey and Eric) wow our chances would go UP.

Almost every team would be all over Zac.

He is copping so much crap when most of the team played like shit trucks. Bailey at his best is a game breaker, to even consider trading him is nuts.

These knowalls love getting into Joe because he's low hanging fruit and all the other team's supporters are going to agree with them.

Without Joe in the team we wouldn't have had any hope at all yesterday . Picking on him is just the ultimate conceit . Cornes probably watched the last 5 minutes.

While I'm on it why do we have these media types on the AA selection panel. They've all got self evident biases and talk a lot of **** a lot of the time.

Get some genuinely independent people who don't have masters to serve and are not invested in the making themselves popular game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost every team would be all over Zac.

He is copping so much crap when most of the team played like shit trucks. Bailey at his best is a game breaker, to even consider trading him is nuts.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but how many games has he broken ? How many coaches votes or even Brownlow votes has he got in his career ?

He's got potential for sure but perhaps a bit overrated ?

I've mentioned this before but it's crap for Cornes to say "all Joe had to do was put it in front of Charlie to run into an open goal". Charlie was rapidly running out of real estate with a defender hot on his heels. Charlie could and should have turned back into the acres of space behind him and the defender would have been totally wrong footed. Joe made a skill error with the bounce but he doesn't need to bounce if Charlie just gives him a simple lead earlier in that piece

Also at 1:37 in that clip, Joe is CLEARLY and deliberately tripped by Lipinski, falls over as a result of the trip and gets jumped on by the same player. Result....HTB against Joe!!!........ who understandably blows up.

I share your pain joe. Astounding that the officials totally "missed" that but late in the last quarter had laser sharp vision to find every free in the book to Collingwood and one or two that aren't.

Of course Joe is imperfect but that critique of Cornes' is selective and unfair.

I thought Oscar was great last night.

I felt like he was trying so hard in second quarter, he was getting in the way at many places.

One of those moments led to a Pies goal, I think it was a stoppage in our D50 where he desperately tried to reach for the footy - instead ended up giving it a tap with his hand. So instead of the footy landing in Ashcroft's hands - it went right over his head and Pies scored.

I was getting super frustrated with Big O in 2nd quarter, not for lack of trying but he was almost at the wrong place doing the wrong thing and it was adding to our clearance nightmare.

So you’re relying on a bunch of players coming back from ACLs, some 30+ year olds and an 18 year old to be our panacea. I don’t see it.
I get your sentiment, and perhaps I'm being too naive. I do feel though that we're still in our window. We fell 4 points short last year and our best this year had us as premiership favourites before two heartbreaking losses.

We saw the impact Will had/is having. Levi will surely have a similar effect. Gardiner and Linc at worst add experienced and dependable depth. If Doedee can find form he adds leadership and intercept marking to a backline that already features Harris Andrews. We all know what Kiddy offers to the team.

Sure, they could all fail to meet expectation.. I choose to be positive about it though.

So many “learnings”, so few lessons heeded.
After five years of the team building and going deeper into the finals, I'm getting mightily sick of still hearing about 'Learnings' from Fages.
At this stage he should be talking about the 'Teachings' we're inflicting on other teams.

After five years of the team building and going deeper into the finals, I'm getting mightily sick of still hearing about 'Learnings' from Fages.
At this stage he should be talking about the 'Teachings' we're inflicting on other teams.

I mean, in the last few months we inflicted some mighty fine 'teachings' on form teams like Port and the Dogs (even the Saints, who are finishing strong and we monstered).

Games like yesterday are immensely frustrating - we've definitely thrown a few away this year - but we've done well to even be in top 4 consideration after our awful start to the year.

I mean, in the last few months we inflicted some mighty fine 'teachings' on form teams like Port and the Dogs (even the Saints, who are finishing strong and we monstered).

Games like yesterday are immensely frustrating - we've definitely thrown a few away this year - but we've done well to even be in top 4 consideration after our awful start to the year.
It's so frustrating that we gave a now certain top 4 team in Port a flogging on their home deck by 79 points not all that long ago.

The 3 things I said would beat us did. The yips infront of goal, the running game and smalls (Schultz eg) would swamp us and the home ground free kick advantage. I was very wrong about the margin, 30+ I called.

Free kicks were 23-20 to the Pies in the end. 11-2 in the last qtr. Complete momentum killer, completely unbalanced. How do you not see the trip on Daniher then give a free kick the other way? Fletcher cops one high in a tackle from Schultz but then gets penalised for holding the ball for an easy goal to said offender. The umpires were not looking for free kicks to us, only against us. Plenty to be said for what Longmire expressed during the week.

Everyone has a right to express their disappointment any way they like. Just as I have a right to disagree with it and call it out for being sooks. For goodness sake, some of the vitriol, hate, player slurs, etc is disgraceful. It makes me wonder if many have ever played a team sport at any level after primary school and if they did I'd reckon they'd have been the very average player in the background backstabbing the captain or coach. Go on, have a crack back at me. I'm too old to give a flying rats arse.

We lost to a very good team, with the strongest home ground advantage and a game plan/style of play we struggle against, by 1 point. That's sport, that's footy. If ya wanna support a team that never loses, is perfect every week, then there's always the Harlem Globetrotters.

"A very good team" wouldn't have been twelfth on the ladder. We lost to an ordinary team bcos we can't kick goals.

Having a look at the ladder and likely winners this afternoon and next week, I have us playing an EF against the Bulldogs at the Gabba.

If we won that would highly likely see us come up against the loser of the Swans v Cats QF in an away Semi Final.. I would fancy our chances against the Cats.

If we end up playing footscray at The Gabba I hope we don't get Stevic as an ump

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back