Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't we have the same opportunity against Collingwood because its not like the club weren't banging on all last week about how great it was to face Collingwood again at the MCG and make amends?

I think we improved, less fumbling in the mid field. And goals 8.16 to 11.12.

Q4 still a problem though.

And pies were likely banging on all week about we know we can ruin the lions season. I'm not convinced only one team has a mental advantage, just different views.

Problem is, Lachie was spouting crap on his 360 segment that all sounded great in theory, problem is, its all echo chamber stuff that none of the other players listen to or I dare say he even believes. And we've all seen this from Harris multiple times and Dunks even saying during the week we'll fix everything from GWS game for the Pies game and look where we are.

You honestly can't trust any of them because they only think they want a flag, but aren't prepared to do whatever it takes to win it because they just don't have the heart and desire in them.

Not everything works out. There’s not a catch all right answer to fixing everything and it’s way more complicated then just ‘work harder and want it more’ that gets said around here.

They may have had big talks about how to stop the spread from stoppages they lost late against GWS, and then have it not work anyway against the Pies. The Giants didn’t get out the backside of the stoppages like the Pies did so often, the went around from the back.

Things just don’t always work out despite planning for them. I’d hazard a guess and say every team last year had a plan to stop the Pies mastering a fourth quarter comeback last year and majority of them didn’t work. How many times in years past did teams go in with a plan to limit Charlie and have Charlie kick three goals anyway?

Watching David King really just makes people dumber
The anlaysis of why we lost by Vic media has been incredibly poor, this article specifically + King/Montagna on First Crack talking about Brisbane. It's all just week to week basic analysis instead of the larger picture.

Joe made as many mistakes as other senior players on-field during the match on Saturday, the media blaming our entire loss on him is stupid. That 2nd quarter of barely tagging Daicos once Bez got subbed off cost us more than any of our forwards missing goals. I would like to see someone analysis how McRae got Pies players to shut down multiple of our elite players, that was great coaching by him, yet he's getting no recognition.

2 things for me with Joe not kicking to Charlie.

1. The general rule of play is kick it to a player in a better position. You can argue all you like about how difficult it is to execute but the reality is that Charlie is in a better position to either goal, bring it to ground or create a contest at the goal square.

Joe, like the ashcroft and bailey decisions were selfish, and ignored others in better position. It's basic football. Regardless of outcome.

2. Who out of our leaders would ever chip Joe? Who do you see on the ground after these sort of actions actually showing leadership?

Everyone goes back to their line group and play on. Lachie gets ultra focused on his game and at times he needs to lead and pull players up. Being the best he can be doesn't make him a good leader... And I can't picture any other leader pulling Joe up either...

So this is the clip?

Joe could've gone early but tried to improve the shot. The other 3 I'd argue they were in a better position to take the shot rather than risk a handball

Watching David King really just makes people dumber

People, david king is perpetually triggered because Fagan directly called him out once in a presser. His analysis is dogshit.

His analysis is the worst in the caper relative to how deep he goes into these erroneous points. My favourite past time is listening to him provide brain dead analysis for 5min only to have someone like Dunstall make a simple point which collapses the whole thing. He then gets defensive but doesn’t have any points in rebuttal (likely because it’s gone off the script kingys producer has drafted for him).

Evident when the pressure is turned up that the Lions are weak mentally (I'm a Lions supporter). One can practice goal kicking technique at training but that is not the same as when under pressure.

A set shot 20 metres out directly in front is under pressure?

1. The general rule of play is kick it to a player in a better position. You can argue all you like about how difficult it is to execute but the reality is that Charlie is in a better position to either goal, bring it to ground or create a contest at the goal square.

Joe, like the ashcroft and bailey decisions were selfish, and ignored others in better position. It's basic football. Regardless of outcome.

2. Who out of our leaders would ever chip Joe? Who do you see on the ground after these sort of actions actually showing leadership?

Everyone goes back to their line group and play on. Lachie gets ultra focused on his game and at times he needs to lead and pull players up. Being the best he can be doesn't make him a good leader... And I can't picture any other leader pulling Joe up either...

If Ashcroft had of handballed the recipient would've been under even more pressure. I think Ashcroft was in a better position and just needed to kick the goal

Even with Joe his pass would've been harder to pull off than a shot on goal IMO unless he went straight away

If Ashcroft had of handballed the recipient would've been under even more pressure. I think Ashcroft was in a better position and just needed to kick the goal

Even with Joe his pass would've been harder to pull off than a shot on goal IMO unless he went straight away

AFter having reflected on this since seeing it live - I think it is fair to criticise Joe for not kicking straight away. Yes, still a difficult kick but Charlie was sprinting against Frampton, I think if he had executed the kick there's a good chance Charlie can score.

Once that moment passed then fair to criticise charlie for not doubling back etc.

I also think you could probably look at Schulz and Daicos's goals and they probably had options to pass
It's spectacular when it works, it's selfish when it doesn't.

Funny thing was in the GF our kicking was pretty good - 13.8

Shows we can turn it on when it matters.

This group has probably known for a week or two we are unlikely to miss finals. Being a bit banged up on top of it, it doesn't take much to take things that little bit too easily. Factor in a huge lead against a Pies side that has not gone that well this year, it is easy to take the foot off the accelerator, even subconsciously.

I am an optimist but I am not ruling out the idea that we will have a different mindset come finals. I expect us to go ruthless...might even happen this week, surely our lads are going to want to make amends of the last two weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good thing about footy is that we get at least another 2 chances.

Agree 100%. Glass half full is the best way to live IMO.

Although the miserable doomsayers will think that this two more chances to blow it.

I don't agree with this at all. A normal bounce and Joe is either chipping it to Charlie or he's kicking a goal that Charlie shepherds through. He had time to bounce and its unfortunate but that was the pressure in the game.

So you’re relying on a bunch of players coming back from ACLs, some 30+ year olds and an 18 year old to be our panacea. I don’t see it.
I wish there was a head shake emoji for your over reactions. Calm the boat. Go glass half full & I'm sure your week will improve.

The anlaysis of why we lost by Vic media has been incredibly poor, this article specifically + King/Montagna on First Crack talking about Brisbane. It's all just week to week basic analysis instead of the larger picture.

Joe made as many mistakes as other senior players on-field during the match on Saturday, the media blaming our entire loss on him is stupid. That 2nd quarter of barely tagging Daicos once Bez got subbed off cost us more than any of our forwards missing goals. I would like to see someone analysis how McRae got Pies players to shut down multiple of our elite players, that was great coaching by him, yet he's getting no recognition.

I used to enjoy those shows but then realised the level of analysis is actually quite poor and calling it quite poor might be going too easy on them. On the couch is the only one I bother with and a few radio interviews that people post in the media thread.

People, david king is perpetually triggered because Fagan directly called him out once in a presser. His analysis is dogshit.

His analysis is the worst in the caper relative to how deep he goes into these erroneous points. My favourite past time is listening to him provide brain dead analysis for 5min only to have someone like Dunstall make a simple point which collapses the whole thing. He then gets defensive but doesn’t have any points in rebuttal (likely because it’s gone off the script kingys producer has drafted for him).

Whatever result we get from finals this year is irrelevant.

Next preseason needs to be almost entirely set shots practice. Honestly f*ck everything else, unlike some others here I don’t really have much of a problem with most of how we’re playing otherwise. Yes there’s issues, but a LOT of issues can get papered over with good goal kicking. I mean take last week, we effectively played one good quarter out of four and still should’ve smoked the giants - but the accuracy was the difference. Our current gameplan and style will generate more than enough opportunities for shots to win; we just need to take advantage of that.

I seem to remember a story from Lynchy about how he got more comfortable kicking set shots in his transition forward; where he just spent an entire off season doing nothing but kicking at goals.

Never forget. Genuinely think kingys producer was either about to quit or lost a bet so wrote something to see if kingy would just read anything without critical thought. Like in Anchorman.

Funny thing was in the GF our kicking was pretty good - 13.8

GF 2023 came down to 2 things. The designated forward who only turns up every 5-6 games also didn't front for the GF (kicked 1 behind). Berry gave away a dumb ass 50 m penalty with 4 ½ mins to go in the last quarter and Sidebottom subsequently slotted it from outside the 50m arc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back