Autopsy Round 23, 2024: Hawks smack Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Your right I didn't look at the ladder properly. Realistically than as long as we win and they lose we will play finals just depends what position.

We just need to beat North by enough that a reasonable Carlton win doesn't put them above us.

I'd rather play in Melbourne the first week of finals.

There’s a few against the Bombers on that list, the one I remember is from 92, when we ended up beating them by about 160 points. Wasn’t at the game and it was pre-internet - remember getting updates on the radio and couldn’t believe how big the margin was getting.

Can’t recall how many Dunstall kicked, I’m thinking double figures?

Only 12 months later the Baby Bombers won the flag. Amazing how quickly it can turn in footy.

There was a game which sticks in my mind as I was there but just misses that list by 1 point. Round 9 1994 at Football Park vs Adelaide, we kicked 8.1 to 0.0. Was an insane start to the game considering this was an interstate trip, Adelaide were completely shell shocked. Must of been the scoring end as in the 3rd QTR we kicked 8.5 to 0.0!

Ended up winning the game by 97 points but it would have been 103 had it not been for Shaun Rehn kicking a red time goal to end the game. Still dirty on him for doing that! Dunstall booted 9 and my all time favourite Platten booted 6 straight along with collecting a lazy 30+ possessions.

Your right I didn't look at the ladder properly. Realistically than as long as we win and they lose we will play finals just depends what position.
Win and we are definitely in, other results won't matter in terms of us making the 8 if we win.

All the other results will do is determine where in the 8 we land. As others have said, beat North by enough to stay ahead of Carlton, and the worst-case scenario is we play the Dogs at the G.

If we win, we can finish anywhere from 4th to 8th. 4th or 5th are pretty unlikely, but mathematically possible.

Win and we are definitely in, other results won't matter in terms of us making the 8 if we win.

All the other results will do is determine where in the 8 we land. As others have said, beat North by enough to stay ahead of Carlton, and the worst-case scenario is we play the Dogs at the G.

If we win, we can finish anywhere from 4th to 8th. 4th or 5th are pretty unlikely, but mathematically possible.
Would have thought worst case is Brisbane at the Gabba TBF. Being at the G I wouldnt fear the Dogs. Darcy is the big threat because of his sheer size but the others don't scare me. Dimma absolutely owns Weightman.

Would have thought worst case is Brisbane at the Gabba TBF. Being at the G I wouldnt fear the Dogs. Darcy is the big threat because of his sheer size but the others don't scare me. Dimma absolutely owns Weightman.
Dogs at Marvel would be an anxiety ridden prospect but on the wide expanses of the G Hawks would be ok.
The way Lions have fallen off the pace wouldn't worry Hawthorn at all.

There was a game which sticks in my mind as I was there but just misses that list by 1 point. Round 9 1994 at Football Park vs Adelaide, we kicked 8.1 to 0.0. Was an insane start to the game considering this was an interstate trip, Adelaide were completely shell shocked. Must of been the scoring end as in the 3rd QTR we kicked 8.5 to 0.0!

Ended up winning the game by 97 points but it would have been 103 had it not been for Shaun Rehn kicking a red time goal to end the game. Still dirty on him for doing that! Dunstall booted 9 and my all time favourite Platten booted 6 straight along with collecting a lazy 30+ possessions.
That was such a fun day.

It's Freo we need to hope loses. We win and Carlton win at worst we swap places based on percentage. Freo could jump us if they have a reasonable win as there percentage is a touch higher than ours. Having said all that if we win by 10 goals we put all the pressure on both of them to win and win well. Sometimes knowing how much you need to win by adds even more pressure on the team.

Hawks don't need to win by any margin, a 1pt win will guarantee finals.

It's Freo we need to hope loses. We win and Carlton win at worst we swap places based on percentage. Freo could jump us if they have a reasonable win as there percentage is a touch higher than ours. Having said all that if we win by 10 goals we put all the pressure on both of them to win and win well. Sometimes knowing how much you need to win by adds even more pressure on the team.
Freo cannot jump us, you can't get 6 premiership points for a win..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh man, if that port game had have gone 2 seconds shorter, we’d be top 4 NOW.

It’s hard to stop thinking this way sometimes.

People said that loss would haunt us. Some meant psychologically, which proved to be utter bollocks. But ladder-wise………

Karl Amon interview

People said that loss would haunt us. Some meant psychologically, which proved to be utter bollocks. But ladder-wise………
Didn’t that game go 19 seconds longer than it should have due to an umpire error not blowing time on

It already went 19 seconds overtime..

I think you need to look at that one as a learning experience that helped us win other games.

You could lament that if Croc had his current form in that first Collingwood game, he'd have nailed that late shot.

But then, does that change our mentality in other games?

Conversely, we could have easily lost the Dogs, Saints and first GWS games and be sitting well out of finals contention.

Now that I think about it, providing we win comfortably against North, it'll be 4 close wins and 10 comfortable wins. That's as huge effort!

I think you need to look at that one as a learning experience that helped us win other games.

You could lament that if Croc had his current form in that first Collingwood game, he'd have nailed that late shot.

But then, does that change our mentality in other games?

Conversely, we could have easily lost the Dogs, Saints and first GWS games and be sitting well out of finals contention.

Now that I think about it, providing we win comfortably against North, it'll be 4 close wins and 10 comfortable wins. That's as huge effort!
Yeah yeah, I understand all that…

That first quarter was a lot of fun.
Broke Tigers fans spirit very quickly.

Richmond went the biff old school style in the 2nd with reasonable success. Dealing with it is another lesson will we need to learn along the way. I was impressed with some of their contested marking. It showed up our weakness against long high balls.

As a fan its just a joy to go to the football again and watch young elite players do their thing in our colors. The Wiz, Calsher and Massimo are a joy to watch and that old bloke in the pocket wasn't bad either.

If you told me preseason Gunner would kick 4, 4, 5 at any point I would have said lay off the cool aid. Yet here we are.

Injuries are a real shame given our confidence is sky high.

Mackenzie your moment has arrived.
We know what our weaknesses are and we are trying to do something about them.

There’s a few against the Bombers on that list, the one I remember is from 92, when we ended up beating them by about 160 points. Wasn’t at the game and it was pre-internet - remember getting updates on the radio and couldn’t believe how big the margin was getting.

Can’t recall how many Dunstall kicked, I’m thinking double figures?

Only 12 months later the Baby Bombers won the flag. Amazing how quickly it can turn in footy.
The most interesting thing about the game you mention is that it is the most goals kicked in a match by a team who kicked the same number of goals in each quarter. We kicked 8 in all four quarters.

Dunstall kicked 12.8

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23, 2024: Hawks smack Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back