Preview Round 23, 2024 : Hawks v Tigers, 3.20pm Sun 18th Aug, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to selection this is unlikely to be a factor. Morrison played well on Sat but not necessarily well enough to replace the injured player he came in for. Seems like I'm in the minority here but i reckon CJ is 100% in our best 22 – so I'd be hoping they'd bring him back in preparation for Sept
Normally I'm critical of whether match ups make a difference week in or week out, but I think that's more of an issue than performance. Harry was fantastic on the weekend, almost the complete game for his role. CJ only a risk of replacing him if there's someone who is too quick and explosive on the wing and even then it's not happening after his game against Carlton.

Morrison's game on Sunday was better than any Jiath performance this season. You're either underrating one or overrating the other.
Def not underrating Morrison. I've been a big fan since day one, and rate him as one of the most dependable players on our list. Just think CJ's run and dash is more in keeping with our game plan – esp on the MCG. He looked really good against Collingwood. Reality is both deserve to play.

So Finn & Ward are full forwards now?
Their form has nothing to do with Scaife’s chance of a game.
It absolutely does. Sam has shown this season that he is not just introducing players to give them game time. He picks the best squad available and the only chance of getting into the team is if you have been banging down the door at BHH AND there is an injury/loss of form to someone in a similar position.

Scaife isn't a chance unless Gunson needs a rest (doesn't seem it for mine) or someone else cops an injury. We're not just going to include him to get games into him.

Normally I'm critical of whether match ups make a difference week in or week out, but I think that's more of an issue than performance. Harry was fantastic on the weekend, almost the complete game for his role. CJ only a risk of replacing him if there's someone who is too quick and explosive on the wing and even then it's not happening after his game against Carlton.
Yeah they are very different players, both who fit well into our structure. Morrison's game on Sat can't be faulted but CJ's attack is just too much of a weapon not to use. Also reckon he's pretty good in plucking marks back there too. Anyway again, selection dilemmas a good thing to face this time of year.

Best way for him to do another hammy, Coming on late and trying to prove a point.
Anyway Breust has been amazing coming on as sub, why would you want to change that?
I don't think we should select players based on their hammies. He is definitely on my best 22 specially in a venue like MCG. Agree who should be dropped is a thing for debate.

Morrison's game on Sunday was better than any Jiath performance this season. You're either underrating one or overrating the other.
Indeed. For the role that both players are asked to perform, an important KPI is metres gained. HMO had well over 400 metres gained on the weekend. A number CJ hasn’t come anywhere near this season to date.

Indeed. For the role that both players are asked to perform, an important KPI is metres gained. HMO had well over 400 metres gained on the weekend. A number CJ hasn’t come anywhere near this season to date.
Agreed! Harry played a great game on the weekend, he has earned his spot through the VFL and CJ should have to do the same. On form Morrison stays in.

I don't think it's that simple. From the perspective of our backline we preference playing through the left wing (Massimo) and save the right wing (Jiath/Morrison) for surprise set plays with gut runners like Impey, Weddle and Moore breaking away into the space on that right wing if the opposition over commits to defending the left wing.

Whoever plays that right-side winger role is going to have variable involvement with the ball based on how the game plays out. On Sunday for example Carlton were good enough at setting up their defensive structures to clog up our left wing but they weren't good at defending the switch (which plays out differently to the right wing set plays coming straight from the kick-in). So Morrison got to see a bit more ball in attacking chains.

If we're getting our way and largely getting to play the game on our left wing then most opportunities for the right winger to get involved with the ball will come from the opposition trying to play through that other side. But as far as I can tell if the defensive right winger is doing their job well they are getting back to cut off the space and option to switch and ensuring our defensive structure is holding shape (from their general position they should have one of the best views). Which means doing their job well can actually equate to less possessions.

This isn't to say Morrison didn't have a good game, because he most definitely did. Or that CJ has or hasn't had a better one himself. Just that it's one of those roles for the side that I don't think can be graded just by looking at individual player stats.

You're usually pretty good Dewyyyyy, but this is dumb.
I can understand the other side to it, but I don’t think it’s stupid to suggest a player deserves a call up for playing well, and another can get a rest if needed as been done before and said that he would during the season, especially with how important he’s going to be in finals.

I can understand the other side to it, but I don’t think it’s stupid to suggest a player deserves a call up for playing well, and another can get a rest if needed as been done before and said that he would during the season, especially with how important he’s going to be in finals.

Definitely not stupid but I think it could be seen as hubris. The next two games still have to be won so trying someone who isn’t a known quantity at AFL level is a huge risk. If Gunston is fit then he plays.

Definitely not stupid but I think it could be seen as hubris. The next two games still have to be won so trying someone who isn’t a known quantity at AFL level is a huge risk. If Gunston is fit then he plays.
Fair point - it was more a question aswell, I think it’s a chance but it all depends on how he feels.

That was me and was curious if anyone had some inside info, i too think he is crucial for the team balance and a lock in our starting 22. No dispersions cast on his performance or his importance to the team. Apologies if it read like that.

I think a couple of boys, Ginni and Day being two, felt like they didn't quite find the levels of performance they now demand of themselves.
Sky high expectations of their own performances, what a beautiful situation to watch on as a Hawthorn supporter.
Proud Of You Yes GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My view is that base level CJ is a better player than base level Harry.

But right now Harry is in career best form and CJ is struggling (you can put whatever spin you want on defensive running, etc but it's obvious to see).

As such Harry is offering a better output than CJ. That may change if CJ gets his mojo back but the smart play right now when we are pushing for wins and % is to go with the player in form (Harry).

Watching the Richmond loss Sunday, they were as bruise free as it gets.
They are mentally in Mykonos already.

Pile on early pressure and it should be a triple figure win and given the Blues injury woes, a win against west coast looks more and more unlikely so we can can put % concern to bed this week and just focus on a North win and not a percentage builder because that’s a banana peel game if ever I’ve seen one and Clarko would love to roll us
It was mentioned on First Crack (I think) that is was the lowest tackle count in a game for a decent amount of time.

Very much bruise free

My view is that base level CJ is a better player than base level Harry.

But right now Harry is in career best form and CJ is struggling (you can put whatever spin you want on defensive running, etc but it's obvious to see).

As such Harry is offering a better output than CJ. That may change if CJ gets his mojo back but the smart play right now when we are pushing for wins and % is to go with the player in form (Harry).
Call me weird but I’d just pick the guy who played really well instead of the guy who missed with a calf injury.

We should be winning this by 15 goals.

Their starting midfield is decent at winning the footy, but all terrible kicks. After that we are a much better team in every area.

Sis will have a field day off half back and be best on, they tried tagging him last time and he had 33 with 15 marks.

Didn't realise they won't have Liam Baker this week who's out with concussion. Actually a pretty big out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back