Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on resting some?

In - Scaife, Finn,
Out - Gunners (rest), Day (rest)

Or don't change anything

No need to change anything obviously.

I think Harry earned his spot with good VFL form and carried that well and truly into the seniors.
It would be tough to drop him so the only change I could really see happening is giving a rest to one of Breust or Gunston for this week against the Tigers.
I suspect both of them would very much want to play against Clarko the following week so if one (or both) of them is going to have a week 'managed' then it would probably be this week. CJ could come back in for either one, or we could give Ward another crack if CJ needs another week off.

The North game is much more of a 'danger' game than the Tigers anyway.

West Coast (Perth), Geelong (Geelong off 6 days), Dockers (Tassie), Pies (MCG in the wet), Crows (Adelaide), GWS (Canberra).... That was a tougher stretch of travel and schedule than even interstate sides get. Compare to Pies with how many MCG games to finish the year (and McRae still complains...).

Finally back to back MCG games will be a relief, and at least the last round is to Tassie which is a fortress for us. That is a big upside to finish on our home grounds and against bottom 4 sides. The challenge is not to mentally switch off give we've arguably done a lot of the really hard work already and hearing Sam talk after the game sounds like he's already onto it. We've done unbelievably well given our draw and start to get into this position, we've just got the mental challenge of not letting it slip and to keep trying to build our % to give us the best change to finish 5/6 and get a MCG final. Luckily that is such crazy competition for spots that many are playing for a spot in finals.

I'd bring back CJ for Morrison his run and carry on the "G" is a valuable asset to have.
You'd be very much in the minority on that call. Also CJ not being available didn't stop us from running all over Carlton on the weekend.

I love what CJ brings to the team but his form isn't banging the door down he must start form. Morrison has been for many weeks at Box Hill and he had a great game on the weekend. He 100% stays.

Some selection wonderings

- Morrison looks to be playing as well as I've seen him play. Competition for spots means he's desperate and he's playing inspired football, where every possession is clean, and also is damaging and composed under pressure.

- Gunston in has helped Dear a lot and harder for opposition to defend when we have Chol, Dear and Gunston. Also means Dear is more likely to bring the ball to ground when opposition best defenders can't target him as easily.

- Ginnivan played a career best game against Pies and has been great all year, but hasn't played all that well since that game. I thought he is probably lucky to avoid criticism against Blues, turning over the ball in transition a few times, and also wasteful in front of goal when we had others free as well. Did some ok stuff too, but in a side with such competition for spots and playing I thought he was the odd one out on the weekend.

- Jiath is a great asset to have in the side both with and without the ball. If we are playing a side like Giants in finals you want guys on the defensive spread like him, and I think Sam and coaching staff value him even more than supporters. Is in my best 23 but Morrison is making it 'interesting'.

- Breust is great as the sub, consistently kicks goals. But in a final that is 50/50, do we want Breust or a Jiath/Morrison/Finn to come on and provide run against a tiring side struggling to already stay with us? Probably we want 6 on the bench as it's too tough to call. His finals experience and leadership could be vital having said that.

Given all that, I'd go Jiath In, Ginnivan Out (managed).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some selection wonderings

- Morrison looks to be playing as well as I've seen him play. Competition for spots means he's desperate and he's playing inspired football, where every possession is clean, and also is damaging and composed under pressure.

- Gunston in has helped Dear a lot and harder for opposition to defend when we have Chol, Dear and Gunston. Also means Dear is more likely to bring the ball to ground when opposition best defenders can't target him as easily.

- Ginnivan played a career best game against Pies and has been great all year, but hasn't played all that well since that game. I thought he is probably lucky to avoid criticism against Blues, turning over the ball in transition a few times, and also wasteful in front of goal when we had others free as well. Did some ok stuff too, but in a side with such competition for spots and playing I thought he was the odd one out on the weekend.

- Jiath is a great asset to have in the side both with and without the ball. If we are playing a side like Giants in finals you want guys on the defensive spread like him, and I think Sam and coaching staff value him even more than supporters. Is in my best 23 but Morrison is making it 'interesting'.

- Breust is great as the sub, consistently kicks goals. But in a final that is 50/50, do we want Breust or a Jiath/Morrison/Finn to come on and provide run against a tiring side struggling to already stay with us? Probably we want 6 on the bench as it's too tough to call. His finals experience and leadership could be vital having said that.

Given all that, I'd go Jiath In, Ginnivan Out (managed).
This: Ginnivan played a career best game against Pies and has been great all year, but hasn't played all that well since that game. I thought he is probably lucky to avoid criticism against Blues, turning over the ball in transition a few times, and also wasteful in front of goal when we had others free as well. Did some ok stuff too, but in a side with such competition for spots and playing I thought he was the odd one out on the weekend.

He didn't look that happy singing the song, ( on the replay post game) and seemed a little out of sorts, maybe he has a niggle?? Not sure but he could use a freshen up, maybe. Maybe Siss gets a week and Serong comes in as prep for Finals, be good to get a game or two into him just in case. The rest stays the same. They will all get a week off prior to Finals so dont see a reason for wholesale change. As Sam said we need to win both!

This: Ginnivan played a career best game against Pies and has been great all year, but hasn't played all that well since that game. I thought he is probably lucky to avoid criticism against Blues, turning over the ball in transition a few times, and also wasteful in front of goal when we had others free as well. Did some ok stuff too, but in a side with such competition for spots and playing I thought he was the odd one out on the weekend.

He didn't look that happy singing the song, ( on the replay post game) and seemed a little out of sorts, maybe he has a niggle?? Not sure but he could use a freshen up, maybe. Maybe Siss gets a week and Serong comes in as prep for Finals, be good to get a game or two into him just in case. The rest stays the same. They will all get a week off prior to Finals so dont see a reason for wholesale change. As Sam said we need to win both!
I thought I read somewhere Ginni has been playing with a niggle. Others can perhaps confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back