Toast Round 23 = Collingwood 79-78 Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Note to Fly:
Never comment on the umpires after a game again. (Unless it’s praise).
At some stages, it looked like the umps were taking the piss.
Exactly what I thought at the time and particularly yesterday.

Did he forget we were playing Lions at the G & not the Gabba when he said that?

Watching the replay (because I needed to feel better after Eagles let us down today)...another genius coaching move by Fly was asking Wilba to a do a Billy Frampton on Harris Andrews 👌

Pondering our season, we were 6-1 vs last year’s top 6 (with one more game to come). Yet 5-2-8 against the bottom twelve. What the actual ****.

3-2 v bottom four, but a one and five point win in that mix.*

The combination above where we simply could not beat, let alone belt, the mediocre teams is why we’re where we are.

No doubt someone in the media will see these stats trawling through BigFooty and there’ll be an article about it within the week. 😂

*Edited. How the **** did Richmond win so many games last year?

ugh, i just posted a heap here, and then i got logged out and i hadnt saved it! so here is the link to the full album and a few pics, but its past bed time!!

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (1 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (3 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (5 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (6 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (7 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (8 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (12 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (13 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (17 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (18 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (19 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (21 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

i stuffed the run but i still kept them!!

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (27 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (29 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

the whole thing is in the link

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (33 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (35 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (40 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (56 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

**** does that mean!!

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (64 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (67 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (68 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

booo

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (74 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (77 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (79 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (88 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (89 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (104 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (108 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (110 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

2024-08-17 beat the Brions by a point!!!! (112 of 113) by joanne carol, on Flickr

cheers!

We're the bogey side of a few teams in recent years. Lions, Carlton, Crows, Port to name a few.

Very nice. If we win on Friday night, can add Melbourne to that list too.

I’ll take this happy thought with me into the off- and pre-seasons. Will be something to smile about.👍

The euphoria of the excitement from this game will be far more enjoyable than an early exit from the finals.

Injuries have derailed our back to back campaign. Our fixture was demanding as Premiers. LMAO they officially umpired our last quarters differently so we couldn’t tactically win close ones. How many controversial end of game frees went against us? Don’t mention nth 50, we had a myriad of missed frees prior to it. AFL got what they wanted for whatever reason the suits did it.

We showed we are still one of the best teams in the AFL.

This was the season that was but after three brutal seasons players have earned an extra rest and refresh. Fly can regroup and evolve. Bring on 2025.

The eight clubs in the finals are pretenders. It’s like the Covid flag for me. Im not interested.

It’s about the journey and the Brisbane game out shines any early finals game. We are bloody lucky to support this fabulous footy club.

We got some really good development into players and got to see where our list shape is. We can draft and trade accordingly now.

We didn’t let last year’s runners up own us and we derailed their top four chances.

Embrace the Brisbane win from the current Premiers.

I read a lot of ungrateful and spoiled supporter posts this year. Go away and refresh and come back with a positive spirit or go and support the scum. We are not them.

Your journey as a Pies supporter is so much more rewarding than 17 other clubs. Live it and love it. Go Pies x

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd argue they're pretty intertwined but to each their own

You can't really apply much pressure without making an effort to right? It takes effort...to apply pressure
Effort is an input, pressure rating is a measure of output that is greatly affected by what the opposition do, as well as positioning. Reading it as a measure of effort is really flawed.

stop dreaming ... season is done .. we are 8% behind we would need to beat dees by 100 Pts and one of the bottom 3 lose by 40

This post was before Carlton beat Eagles

I know it’s me posting which means you simply felt compelled to have a crack, but maybe take a breath and think first before you reply

The euphoria of the excitement from this game will be far more enjoyable than an early exit from the finals.

Injuries have derailed our back to back campaign. Our fixture was demanding as Premiers. LMAO they officially umpired our last quarters differently so we couldn’t tactically win close ones. How many controversial end of game frees went against us? Don’t mention nth 50, we had a myriad of missed frees prior to it. AFL got what they wanted for whatever reason the suits did it.

We showed we are still one of the best teams in the AFL.

This was the season that was but after three brutal seasons players have earned an extra rest and refresh. Fly can regroup and evolve. Bring on 2025.

The eight clubs in the finals are pretenders. It’s like the Covid flag for me. Im not interested.

It’s about the journey and the Brisbane game out shines any early finals game. We are bloody lucky to support this fabulous footy club.

We got some really good development into players and got to see where our list shape is. We can draft and trade accordingly now.

We didn’t let last year’s runners up own us and we derailed their top four chances.

Embrace the Brisbane win from the current Premiers.

I read a lot of ungrateful and spoiled supporter posts this year. Go away and refresh and come back with a positive spirit or go and support the scum. We are not them.

Your journey as a Pies supporter is so much more rewarding than 17 other clubs. Live it and love it. Go Pies x

Diminishing the achievements of this year’s ultimate premiers is not it for me.

There are a number of sides that have played football deserving of a premiership this year - chief amongst them the two Sydney sides, the Dogs (who were cruelled by injury the way we were yet were resilient enough to still be in a position to play finals and now look scary good, similar to how we have, with their returned cattle) and Brisbane. Any of those teams would be deserved premiers, just like we were last year. Sydney in particular have been every bit as good this year as we were last year,

There are a number of sides that have played football deserving of a premiership this year - chief amongst them the two Sydney sides, the Dogs (who were cruelled by injury the way we were yet were resilient enough to still be in a position to play finals and now look scary good, similar to how we have, with their returned cattle) and Brisbane. Any of those teams would be deserved premiers, just like we were last year. Sydney in particular have been every bit as good this year as we were last year,

Fair enough. All the top eight sides have had lapses of form. Bizarrely the Hawks look like the form side right now. My point about Sydney is we had them covered for three quarters and it took an incredible effort by three out of form players to win that game. I believe our best is as good as the rest.

Maybe I’m being harsh but I am truely not interested in this year’s premier. Looking forward to what we bring to 2025.

Wait maybe I will celebrate the losers and hopefully those smug egos are wiped off the Sydney faces.

For me, it's not about diminishing the achievements of this year's finalists (the scum aside).
It's more that I don't have any great interest in who wins the flag.
If I had to choose, I would lean towards GWS or the Doggies - both are good to watch.

Fair enough. All the top eight sides have had lapses of form. Bizarrely the Hawks look like the form side right now. My point about Sydney is we had them covered for three quarters and it took an incredible effort by three out of form players to win that game. I believe our best is as good as the rest.

Maybe I’m being harsh but I am truely not interested in this year’s premier. Looking forward to what we bring to 2025.

Wait maybe I will celebrate the losers and hopefully those smug egos are wiped off the Sydney faces.

I get it, but this attitude was pervasive last year and I guess I’m triggered by the sore loser mentality our flag was met with.

The Swans might have scraped home in our most recent match during their patch of down form but they also dealt with us pretty comfortably earlier this year. Credit where it’s due to anyone that is beating us at the moment because we’re playing at the standard of a true contender now IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get it, but this attitude was pervasive last year and I guess I’m triggered by the sore loser mentality our flag was met with.

The Swans might have scraped home in our most recent match during their patch of down form but they also dealt with us pretty comfortably earlier this year. Credit where it’s due to anyone that is beating us at the moment because we’re playing at the standard of a true contender now IMO
Conversely, if the team we put on the park against the Swans in round 1 was playing at the level we are now, the Swans wouldn’t have beaten us.

Oh there’s no doubt the finalists deserve their spots ahead of us. Thats what the ladder is for. But no final will match last Saturdays 65000 noise at the end of the game. Thats what the Pies bring so my finals expectations are tempered from following our great club.

Oh there’s no doubt the finalists deserve their spots ahead of us. Thats what the ladder is for. But no final will match last Saturdays 65000 noise at the end of the game. Thats what the Pies bring so my finals expectations are tempered from following our great club.

To put that into perspective, there were less than 34,000 at the Essendon-Sydney game.
You would have thought there would be more Essendon fans given their team was still a chance for finals.
Pies fans turn up.

A summary of our performance on Hotrods by Anabell

There were many times when we were behind late in matches and rallied but equally when we had ascendancy we seemed to watch helplessly as we ceded our dominance to our opponents.

The quote from the famous play almost aptly sums up our year as with dramatic irony we watched on as our ridiculous early season fixture, our draw inequity, injuries and wretched umpires led us inexorably to a predictable conclusion.
This was a brilliant article IMHO, but I've emphasized two points which seem particularly significant to me.

The first indicates the awe-inspiring, but peculiar mind-set that has developed under Fly. Our boys definitely play their maniacal best when we are chasing a lead. David King tried to explain it on SEN this morning. His reasoning was along the lines that chasing gives our "second-tier players" ( Noble, IQ, Shoota, Frampton, Cox as examples) the freedom and license to go for it, putting attack above the responsibility of their designated roles. Interesting. Could we win more games if we focused on firstly closing down and containing teams, then letting loose ie using two different game styles within the same match, both a defensive mind-set finishing with an all out attacking attitude?

The second point sums up the whole season perfectly.

A summary of our performance on Hotrods by Anabell

Everything was on the line against the Lions with even a win not guaranteeing us finals . We looked dead and buried late despite rallying in the second quarter but our indomitable spirit and will prevailed again to win our third straight against Brisbane, franking our flag win despite many critics querying it.

Alas it was to no avail as results went against us. This highlights again how farcical this ‘competition’ is as the Blues a team we beat twice, played the two bottom teams twice against us playing them once despite finished third last year

It many ways it was a wasted season as it could have been the last time our ‘geriatrics’ can rise to prominence and compete with the best. The early start after the longest ever season certainly militated against us.

We still must play the last game as if there is no tomorrow despite that being the case because we’ve proven time and again that playing whole-heartedly is in our DNA. Fly urges to play all the minutes and we do, especially when we trail our opponents and that’s part of the tale of our season of woe. There were many times when we were behind late in matches and rallied but equally when we had ascendancy we seemed to watch helplessly as we ceded our dominance to our opponents. Had we been able to stop the very late momentum of the Swans we would be a good chance of still being there in September. The other really poor last quarter was in the ill-fated game against the Dockers which set us back considerably with the injury carnage. Interestingly in both of these games late quirky and inconsistent umpiring possibly signed our death warrant.

Despite not playing finals beating the Lions after they looked poised to win was another exorcising of the demons in a way because we may well have ended their top four hopes which may well end their flag chances. Thus our flag, and possible shaping of their destiny, as exacted some revenge for the early noughties Grand Final defeats against an AFL inspired super team.

Once again Nick was the igniter. Starting inauspiciously, he lit up the stage in the second with his prolific efforts crowned by his electric goal of the year contender and a trademark Daicosian snap out of congestion to add a second major. All this was done with his customary sang-froid.

The sometimes invisiable Hoskin-Elliott whom Fly refers to as his Swiss Army knife such is his versatility, quelled Andrews while adding his own polish to the game at times by dint of his sure marking and precise kicking.

Howe has wound back the clock late in the season and yesterday contributed meaningfully with some timely intercepts and clever roaming of the defensive zone to link with others.

Cameron has barely played a poor game and yesterday eclipsed a willing opponent. His sticky hands, judgement of the flight of the ball, deft taps and capacity to work hard around the ground have stood him in good stead all year.

Cox has added structure since his return despite some lean returns but may find by the end of next season he has some neophytes snapping at his heels.

McStay’s return can’t be underestimated as while he is not yet near the acme of his powers, he is a reliable and calming presence in attack who can make life easier for the smaller players. He’s taken some good grabs and is generally a sound kick for goal. Is it a coincidence that we’ve won most of the games since he’s returned?

Beau’s return has also been welcome. While he will never rival the Daici for weight of possessions, his value lies in other areas. Opponents buckle under the heft of his tackles and it’s this ability to lift which is infectious among his teammates. Against the Blues for instance he had opponents cowering but last night his winning goal showed that he has other dimensions to his game. We’re waiting for him to put all these together with greater consistency to develop into a more potent weapon.

Hill currently manifests a tendency to prioritise the special over the basic and bland but when his brilliance comes to the fore he leaves opponents in his wake and is a unique point of difference in a varied attack.

Elliott’s kicking radar needs a bit of recalibration but he is also a handful at times and he never stops working hard and at times selflessly.

Sidey is in the process of redefining his career with these tagging cum run-with roles. Yesterday he performed admirably on the dangerous Neale despite the reigning Brownlow medallist still being effective. This follows the nullifying of Gulden. The new lease of gained from this change might be the extra tool in his kit he requires to prolong his career. There were times this season when he appeared to be on the verge of being dropped despite Fly’s apparent preference for the seasoned players.

Pendles a relatively quiet game by his standards with him not being prominent in the last stanza when he often relishes how the pace has come off the game. Maybe next year the sub could be a potential role for him to arrive on the scene late and use his obvious footy nous to marshal the troops.

Noble ran in his usual indefatigable way and he showed composure in the way he sneakily ran the clock down in the dying moments. =He was indisputably one of our best.

If Frampton equated with a literary term, it would be bathos the way he can seamlessly slide between the sublime and ridiculous. Daniher led him a merry dance despite the moustachioed one’s foibles, but not to be counted out, he took an important mark in the frenetic last minutes to save our bacon.

IQ whose season has been indifferent than stellar enjoyed some good moments in the twilight zone, dobbing another goal and effecting a match-saving tackle as he ran down the dangerous Bailey. Where has this zip been on a consistent basis? His muscle-bound frame has sometimes looked rather cumbersome.

Josh joined forces with his brother yesterday to ensure that anybody listening to our game barracking for the Lions would be sick to death of the name Daicos. When the siblings combine effectively, we rarely lose and he was more assured and classy than he has been at times over this year’s journey.

Bytel – rather nondescript in the final analysis and would love to see one of our promising youngsters promoted for our final encounter.

Long – he got to experience much more game time than Richard who showcased the’ briefest of cameos last week. He enjoyed the rare distinction of giving the umpires an excuse to blow the whistle on occasion of another ‘obscure’ rule. Join the Lachie Sullivan club Ned! His big body offers more than the more mundane Bytel.

Maynard – made his presence felt on occasions and was more involved than in other games this year. Likes to present as the get out option for the kicker outer.

Schultz – while he will never be worth a first and second rounder, fans were waiting for some ‘break out’ moments. To kick a brace of goals which shaved our late deficit and set us up for the win was good for Lachie and the fans who share in some mutual respect for the part each played in getting us over the line.

Moore – the oft-maligned skipper was a solid pair of hands in defence yesterday, with a number of timely spoils, intercepts and some contested marks. Seems to be more actively leading the defence than earlier in the season when he appeared misaligned to some extent.

Crisp almost flew under the radar yesterday and has recently looked a bit removed from the putative barometer in our outfit.

Fly was his effusive self on the sidelines and Cox stated that the players just love winning for him.

Let’s beat the Dees because doubling up wins against them, the Blues and Lions will salvage something from an ultimately disappointing season

And after that it’s

Goodnight sweet prince and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

The quote from the famous play almost aptly sums up our year as with dramatic irony we watched on as our ridiculous early season fixture, our draw inequity, injuries and wretched umpires led us inexorably to a predictable conclusion.
Annabel hits the nail on the head with her usual beautiful turn of phrase.

I'd love a Freo - GWS grand final. Just imagine the atmosphere!!

Hi all great to be back after been banned for a week for simply liking a few comments on the Carlton board. (Didn't make a single comment, just liked and got banned).

Great win by our boys.
Welcome back!
It seems inconsistent - I got a day off for suggesting they should have a "none of the above" option for their best player.
Maybe I'm the one that should have got a week! :D

This post was before Carlton beat Eagles

I know it’s me posting which means you simply felt compelled to have a crack, but maybe take a breath and think first before you reply
Sheesh, stop playing the victim. People are allowed to criticise posts on an open forum if they want, it’s not targeted specifically at you, no matter how much you believe it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 23 = Collingwood 79-78 Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back