Preview Round 23 - Collingwood v Brisbane @ The MCG (Saturday 4:35pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
Match Of The Round this weekend comes to the new glamour timeslot of 4:35 Saturday, for the Grand Final rematch between Collingwood and Brisbane. Our second meeting this year, Collingwood have won the last 2 against us after we mopped the floor with them SIX (count em, SIX) times in a row dating back to 2020.

Just by the by, the Saturday twilight timeslot has an interesting history. The AFL originally trialled Saturday 3:40 in 1998, with 9 matches played at Waverley or the MCG. However it was considered spectacularly unsuccessful (even though, looking at the crowd numbers they weren't too bad really) and consigned to history's dustbin. Until 2012 that is, when a rebranded Saturday timeslot of 4:40 re-emerged, before being shifted to 4:35 in 2015, because, well, television.

Even then however, it was considered an afterthought: a way to squeeze in somewhere the games that nobody gives a stuff about. That all changed on 27 April this year though, when more than 87,000 fans crammed into the G to watch Geelong knock off Carlton in one of the games of the year. Suddenly it seems, 4:35 Saturday is the new black, and that's where we find ourselves this weekend.

At stake
Pretty simple equations for both teams, after both imploded to cough up last quarter leads last weekend. We need to win to stay within touching distance of what I expect will be a crucial top 4 berth, while Collingwood need to win to keep their flickering finals chances alive.

Conditions
It looks like Melbourne is turning on its charm this week, with consecutive days of sunshine and 20+ degrees. Steady on you lot, it's only August! That's all expected to change come the weekend unfortunately, with what appears to be a pretty miserable day on Saturday, a maximum of 16 (14 by game time) and the high probability of rain throughout the day, including during the game. On the plus side, the weather is equally miserable in Brisbane at the moment, so our lads would have had an ideal chance to acclimatise at training yesterday.

Teams
As has been the case for a couple of weeks now, the big question mark is around Eric Hipwood. Does he play and where? My gut feel from Fages' comments to the media is that he's unlikely to be right for Saturday, so I'd expect us to go in (gulp) unchanged.

If he is right to go however, he absolutely comes back - the big question is whether it's in the forward line for Henry Smith, or in defence for Darragh Joyce. All things being equal, I'd like to see him come in for Joyce. I think Darragh unfortunately lost me for good with his horror kick from the wing to half forward in the last quarter which got turned over for a goal back the other way. If you can't even nail the basic, long, high kick down the line to a contest, in perfect conditions, you can't be trusted unfortunately.

This then gives us the flexibility to start Hipwood in defence, but knowing he can easily move to the forward line if we find there's no real suitable match up for Eric in defence, or we want that extra tall in our forward line. This is flexibility we have never really had and I think it's an area we would do well to explore and exploit further.

The one caveat to that is the second ruck role. Joe Daniher literally withered on the Sam Taylor vine on Saturday, and we cannot afford a repeat performance from Joe this Saturday, or for the rest of the season for that matter. Yes, he should have the experience, the wherewithal and the gumption to be able to mentally fight through a difficult match up, but if going into the ruck for a period helps him come alive in the game, then I think we need to do this.

Where this leaves Smith is the question. Ideally, we start Smith as the 2nd ruck, but if Joe is struggling to get into the game up forward, we gamble on a forward line spearheaded by Smith and Morris, knowing they are likely to be beaten on experience alone by Moore and Howe, and try and utilise our small forwards however possible.

Elsewhere, surely we make a change for Prior and get a more versatile player to fill the sub role. I'd be bringing Sharp back with Bruce still out, and we probably need to make him the sub. Although I'd be ready to get him in the game far earlier than we usually do, particularly if the game is going against us. Possibly Answerth for Brain if Noah's VFL form warrants elevation.

Collingwood's injury list is looking in reasonable shape, with only De Goey, Mihocheck, Mitchell and maybe Johnson missing from their best 23. With only 1 recognised key forward in McStay, Collingwood are highly likely to roll with Cameron and Cox as a 2 ruck setup, so would definitely prefer Smith to stay in the team if we can make that work. They will likely use their resting ruck in a key forward post, with Howe another option to swing forward, and/or Frampton if they want him to reprise his defensive role on Harris Andrews.

Besides that, they have Hoskin-Elliott currently performing what seems to be role Jacob Townsend filled for Richmond in their 2017 premiership as their secondary forward target, and besides that they're relatively short, reliant on speed and ability to cover ground.

We can expect full 23's and emergencies at 6:20 tomorrow night, with final teams (including the sub) posted 3:35pm Saturday.

Matchups
For me it's Joyce or Hipwood on McStay, knowing we can move Andrews onto him if needed, although not the preferred option. Andrews is likely to be needed to play on their resting ruck when he pushes forward. Other than that, Lester is an ideal match up for Hoskin-Elliott, although he'll also need to spend some time on Long. Their small brigade of McCreery, Elliott, Schultz and Hill loom large though. Starcevich on Hill to me is the obvious one after his Grand Final shenanigans. Apart from that it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Maybe Wilmot on Elliott, Zorko on Schultz, Brain/Answerth on McCreery.

At the other end, probably Moore on Daniher and Frampton on Smith. Howe on Morris. They've chopped and changed a bit with their match up for Cameron recently, but I reckon they'll go with Maynard, with Quaynor the outside chance.

In the middle, Dunkley on N Daicos looks a likely match up there. Not too sure who their current tagging options are with Mitchell injured. Don't know much about Bytel except he used to play for St Kilda. Maybe he spends some time on Neale? Sidebottom locked down on Gulden last Friday night so he may also get a go on Neale in more of an inside role.

Strategy
In ruck, Collingwood have been doing better in hit outs to advantage and gaining first possession from ruck contests. This hasn't translated to clearance domination, and it looks like we should have a considerable edge there. Although that was also the case against the Giants but it certainly did not eventuate after quarter time.

This will be crucial in allowing us to play the game in our front half. We are the #1 scoring team from our front half, while Collingwood give up the 2nd most amount of points from their back half.

Other than that it shapes as being a relatively low-turnover game. Obviously we like to play the kick-mark game, which in truth may be hindered by the weather. Collingwood have also been allowing this to happen however, although for the most part they were able to prevent Sydney from doing this. In any event, we may benefit from shelving this strategy on Saturday. We have been much stronger than Collingwood in recent weeks at winning contests both forward of and behind the ball, so provided we are able to kick to the advantage of our forwards, this should hold us in good stead regardless of the conditions.

Our accuracy is obviously a concern, once again, although in general play this is as much about where we are taking our shots and the pressure we're under. Collingwood have been strong in recent weeks at preventing high percentage shots at goal, so more frustration for fans is in the offing on Saturday.

Defensively, we have been strong at preventing teams from getting it inside 50, and when they have, we've also been good at making their shots relatively difficult, particularly in general play. Our achilles heel remains the ease at which we concede marks inside 50, and more generally, allowing shots at goal when our opposition do go inside 50, although we have shown signs of improvement in these aspects recently.

Other than that, we are still #18 in the comp for conceding points from kick-ins. You would like to think the conditions will make this full ground transition more difficult on Saturday, but Collingwood are strong in this aspect so something to be wary of.

Quarter by quarter

1723595017820.png

After a week (yep, one) when our last quarters were NOT our worst quarter, they are very much back in the spotlight after a woeful fade out on Saturday. I'd say a good start will be important, but even those haven't saved us a various junctures this season. I almost wonder if a tight start to the game might hold us (particularly our midfield) in a stronger frame of mind, and make it more likely for us to perform closer to our potential for a full four quarters. We can't afford a poor start to the game though to get their crowd up and about.

The Verdict
All the numbers and the depth of the respective midfields point to a dominant performance for us in the guts. Similarly however the numbers also point to a high likelihood that we make a meal of what territorial dominance we have, and allow Collingwood to make the most of our profligacy in front of goal.

Collingwood 17-7 (109)
Brisbane 10-22 (82)

Attachments

• 1723595063446.png
    1723595063446.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Match Of The Round this weekend comes to the new glamour timeslot of 4:35 Saturday, for the Grand Final rematch between Collingwood and Brisbane. Our second meeting this year, Collingwood have won the last 2 against us after we mopped the floor with them SIX (count em, SIX) times in a row dating back to 2020.

Just by the by, the Saturday twilight timeslot has an interesting history. The AFL originally trialled Saturday 3:40 in 1998, with 9 matches played at Waverley or the MCG. However it was considered spectacularly unsuccessful (even though, looking at the crowd numbers they weren't too bad really) and consigned to history's dustbin. Until 2012 that is, when a rebranded Saturday timeslot of 4:40 re-emerged, before being shifted to 4:35 in 2015, because, well, television.

Even then however, it was considered an afterthought: a way to squeeze in somewhere the games that nobody gives a stuff about. That all changed on 27 April this year though, when more than 87,000 fans crammed into the G to watch Geelong knock off Carlton in one of the games of the year. Suddenly it seems, 4:35 Saturday is the new black, and that's where we find ourselves this weekend.

At stake
Pretty simple equations for both teams, after both imploded to cough up last quarter leads last weekend. We need to win to stay within touching distance of what I expect will be a crucial top 4 berth, while Collingwood need to win to keep their flickering finals chances alive.

Conditions
It looks like Melbourne is turning on its charm this week, with consecutive days of sunshine and 20+ degrees. Steady on you lot, it's only August! That's all expected to change come the weekend unfortunately, with what appears to be a pretty miserable day on Saturday, a maximum of 16 (14 by game time) and the high probability of rain throughout the day, including during the game. On the plus side, the weather is equally miserable in Brisbane at the moment, so our lads would have had an ideal chance to acclimatise at training yesterday.

Teams
As has been the case for a couple of weeks now, the big question mark is around Eric Hipwood. Does he play and where? My gut feel from Fages' comments to the media is that he's unlikely to be right for Saturday, so I'd expect us to go in (gulp) unchanged.

If he is right to go however, he absolutely comes back - the big question is whether it's in the forward line for Henry Smith, or in defence for Darragh Joyce. All things being equal, I'd like to see him come in for Joyce. I think Darragh unfortunately lost me for good with his horror kick from the wing to half forward in the last quarter which got turned over for a goal back the other way. If you can't even nail the basic, long, high kick down the line to a contest, in perfect conditions, you can't be trusted unfortunately.

This then gives us the flexibility to start Hipwood in defence, but knowing he can easily move to the forward line if we find there's no real suitable match up for Eric in defence, or we want that extra tall in our forward line. This is flexibility we have never really had and I think it's an area we would do well to explore and exploit further.

The one caveat to that is the second ruck role. Joe Daniher literally withered on the Sam Taylor vine on Saturday, and we cannot afford a repeat performance from Joe this Saturday, or for the rest of the season for that matter. Yes, he should have the experience, the wherewithal and the gumption to be able to mentally fight through a difficult match up, but if going into the ruck for a period helps him come alive in the game, then I think we need to do this.

Where this leaves Smith is the question. Ideally, we start Smith as the 2nd ruck, but if Joe is struggling to get into the game up forward, we gamble on a forward line spearheaded by Smith and Morris, knowing they are likely to be beaten on experience alone by Moore and Howe, and try and utilise our small forwards however possible.

Elsewhere, surely we make a change for Prior and get a more versatile player to fill the sub role. I'd be bringing Sharp back with Bruce still out, and we probably need to make him the sub. Although I'd be ready to get him in the game far earlier than we usually do, particularly if the game is going against us. Possibly Answerth for Brain if Noah's VFL form warrants elevation.

Collingwood's injury list is looking in reasonable shape, with only De Goey, Mihocheck, Mitchell and maybe Johnson missing from their best 23. With only 1 recognised key forward in McStay, Collingwood are highly likely to roll with Cameron and Cox as a 2 ruck setup, so would definitely prefer Smith to stay in the team if we can make that work. They will likely use their resting ruck in a key forward post, with Howe another option to swing forward, and/or Frampton if they want him to reprise his defensive role on Harris Andrews.

Besides that, they have Hoskin-Elliott currently performing what seems to be role Jacob Townsend filled for Richmond in their 2017 premiership as their secondary forward target, and besides that they're relatively short, reliant on speed and ability to cover ground.

Matchups
For me it's Joyce or Hipwood on McStay, knowing we can move Andrews onto him if needed, although not the preferred option. Andrews is likely to be needed to play on their resting ruck when he pushes forward. Other than that, Lester is an ideal match up for Hoskin-Elliott, although he'll also need to spend some time on Long. Their small brigade of McCreery, Elliott, Schultz and Hill loom large though. Starcevich on Hill to me is the obvious one after his Grand Final shenanigans. Apart from that it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Maybe Wilmot on Elliott, Zorko on Schultz, Brain/Answerth on McCreery.

At the other end, probably Moore on Daniher and Frampton on Smith. Howe on Morris. They've chopped and changed a bit with their match up for Cameron recently, but I reckon they'll go with Maynard, with Quaynor the outside chance.

In the middle, Dunkley on N Daicos looks a likely match up there. Not too sure who their current tagging options are with Mitchell injured. Don't know much about Bytel except he used to play for St Kilda. Maybe he spends some time on Neale? Sidebottom locked down on Gulden last Friday night so he may also get a go on Neale in more of an inside role.

Strategy
In ruck, Collingwood have been doing better in hit outs to advantage and gaining first possession from ruck contests. This hasn't translated to clearance domination, and it looks like we should have a considerable edge there. Although that was also the case against the Giants but it certainly did not eventuate after quarter time.

This will be crucial in allowing us to play the game in our front half. We are the #1 scoring team from our front half, while Collingwood give up the 2nd most amount of points from their back half.

Other than that it shapes as being a relatively low-turnover game. Obviously we like to play the kick-mark game, which in truth may be hindered by the weather. Collingwood have also been allowing this to happen however, although for the most part they were able to prevent Sydney from doing this. In any event, we may benefit from shelving this strategy on Saturday. We have been much stronger than Collingwood in recent weeks at winning contests both forward of and behind the ball, so provided we are able to kick to the advantage of our forwards, this should hold us in good stead regardless of the conditions.

Our accuracy is obviously a concern, once again, although in general play this is as much about where we are taking our shots and the pressure we're under. Collingwood have been strong in recent weeks at preventing high percentage shots at goal, so more frustration for fans is in the offing on Saturday.

Defensively, we have been strong at preventing teams from getting it inside 50, and when they have, we've also been good at making their shots relatively difficult, particularly in general play. Our achilles heel remains the ease at which we concede marks inside 50, and more generally, allowing shots at goal when our opposition do go inside 50, although we have shown signs of improvement in these aspects recently.

Other than that, we are still #18 in the comp for conceding points from kick-ins. You would like to think the conditions will make this full ground transition more difficult on Saturday, but Collingwood are strong in this aspect so something to be wary of.

Quarter by quarter

View attachment 2078801

After a week (yep, one) when our last quarters were NOT our worst quarter, they are very much back in the spotlight after a woeful fade out on Saturday. I'd say a good start will be important, but even those haven't saved us a various junctures this season. I almost wonder if a tight start to the game might hold us (particularly our midfield) in a stronger frame of mind, and make it more likely for us to perform closer to our potential for a full four quarters. We can't afford a poor start to the game though to get their crowd up and about.

The Verdict
All the numbers and the depth of the respective midfields point to a dominant performance for us in the guts. Similarly however the numbers also point to a high likelihood that we make a meal of what territorial dominance we have, and allow Collingwood to make the most of our profligacy in front of goal.

Collingwood 17-7 (109)
Brisbane 10-22 (82)
Nice write up. I get the let’s be negative predicted score line in the hope the footy gods magically cure our accuracy problem.

However we should be good enough to win without divine intervention. Or there is no point being in the eight making up the numbers.

Nice write up. I get the let’s be negative predicted score line in the hope the footy gods magically cure our accuracy problem.

However we should be good enough to win without divine intervention. Or there is no point being in the eight making up the numbers.
I was talking about this this morning with my daughter, she was a little nervous that we might not make the 8 if we lose to the Pies and Bombers.

My reply was if we lose those 2 games we are zero chance of a Premiership anyway, lose 1 and we are highly likely coming from 5th/6th and very little chance of a Premiership from there as well.

I think we'll beat the Bombers next week but will get touched up by the Pies - I mean its not like they don't have anything to play for and they're still a bloody good side. I want to be proven wrong, but I still have concerns how mentally strong this group is and last week's insipid loss show's how little mettle we have when what really counts is on the line. Like I said, I want the team to prove me wrong.

At stake

Conditions

Teams

We can expect full 23's and emergencies at 6:20 tomorrow night, with final teams (including the sub) posted 3:35pm Saturday.

Matchups

Strategy

Quarter by quarter

View attachment 2078801

The Verdict

Collingwood 17-7 (109)
Brisbane 10-22 (82)
Great preview.
I was busy doing one myself and close to posting and then saw yours
Might post it as a post reply comment with some changes.

Results since 2020.
Lions Win @ Gabba, Lions Win @ Marvel, Lions Win @ Gabba, Lions Win @ Gabba, Lions Win @ Gabba, Lions Win @ Marvel, Pies Win GF @ MCG, Pies Win @ Gabba
We had a very good record against the Pies. Then lost the game that mattered being the GF.
Followed that up by losing again in the GF replay at home in round 3.
2024 Recent Form
Lions won 9 in a row but that came to a crashing holt with a loss to top 4 side GWS last week.
We are now sitting 5th but need to win the 2 remaining games to have a top 4 chance.
I don’t want to think about what losing 1 or 2 of the remaining games will do to the players and fans.
Pies have had a disappointing season starting poorly like the Lions but had a surge to get into 5th spot by round 10.
The Lions had dropped to 12th spot at this stage.
Since then, a mixed bag of results has the Pies 1 game and percentage out of the 8 in 11th spot.
They still have a pulse in regard to making the finals so will be out for a win.
Injuries From Last Weekend
Lions: Nil reported, but Charlie hurt his ankle celebrating a goal. Hopefully okay to play.
Pies: Nil reported, but they did lose DeGoey for the season the week before.
Tag or No Tag
Nick Daicos he got the Jordan tag last week and was not at his best bur still collected 25 disposals.
He had 30 against us in round 3.
I don’t see a hard tag going his way more like a plan around stoppages (maybe Dunkley) and someone or a team-oriented plan around the ground.
However, it would be nice to see how an Ashcroft v Nic Daicos run with role would pan out.
Josh Daicos and Berry went head-to-head in round 3 both had good games.
Predict the same matchup again at least initially.
Tom Mitchell was arguably their best player in round 3 but lucky for us he is injured.
Neale and Zorko i don’t see the Pies applying a hard tag on either.
The Rucks
Round 3: Cox had 27 HO, Cameron 17, Oscar 34 & Fort 13. Total Lions 47 to Pies 44
If Hippy is available i would prefer to just have Oscar and Jo as the rucks.
That gives us an extra mobile player which i think we need more so than trying to get a ruck advantage.
The Midfield
We need a 4-quarter effort from this group.
Neal tagged by Bedford and McCluggage had off games last week.
Neale, Dunkley, Ashcroft, McCluggage v Nic Daicos, Crisp, Pendlebury & i am not sure who will be the fourth maybe Lipinski.
The Pies weakness for this game and we need to ensure we get well on top.
The Wings
Lions
Berry, Fletcher and most likely Bailey (or Ah Chee) with some mids like McCluggage getting a go,
Pies
Sidebottom, Josh Daicos with Noble having a run along with Bytel
If Fletcher can improve his game that will help but i see the Pies ahead here.
The Forwards
Lions
Hippy (hopefully), Daniher, Morris, Charlie, Rayner, Ah Chee, Lohmann and some resting mids.
Thats enough firepower to kick a winning score.
Pies
With Mihocek injured they are a bit light on key marking forwards.
But their small brigade is all capable of kicking multiple goals a game
McStay, McCreery, Hill, Long, Elliott, Schultz, Hosken-Elliott and Lipinski (he could play mid this week).
Last three scores 93 Tigers win, 84 Blues win, 86 Swans loss.
To state the obvious, we need to kick a bigger score than the Pies this week
Defenders
Lions
Andrews, Lester, Joyce, Starcevich, Wilmot, Brain
Height wise we match up better this week to the Pies forwards
Harris and the coaches please don't try and be too cute this week.
Harris playing his usual game is a better defender than when he tries to actually concentrate on defending one particular player.
Pies
Howe, Moore, Quaynor, Maynard, Frampton, maybe Noble if not wing
This group have dropped off in consistency compared to previous years.
Let's hope a few are off their game again this week
Overall
Team wise I think we match up better with the Pies than a lot of teams.
Play 4 quarters of pressure footy and kick a decent score and we win the game.
Winning at the MCG a few weeks before the finals will also be a confidence boost to the playing group and the fans.
We are a pretty good first quarter team and need to keep the Pies fans quiet early.
Build on an early lead and keep the crowd out of the equation.
All the AFL world now know that the Pies at the MCG influence the umpires decisions according to the Pies coach.
I want a 30-point win with the game never in doubt and no injuries.
However, i usually don’t get what i want.

Results since 2020.
Lions Win @ Gabba, Lions Win @ Marvel, Lions Win @ Gabba, Lions Win @ Gabba, Lions Win @ Gabba, Lions Win @ Marvel, Pies Win GF @ MCG, Pies Win @ Gabba
We had a very good record against the Pies. Then lost the game that mattered being the GF.
Followed that up by losing again in the GF replay at home in round 3.
2024 Recent Form
Lions won 9 in a row but that came to a crashing holt with a loss to top 4 side GWS last week.
We are now sitting 5th but need to win the 2 remaining games to have a top 4 chance.
I don’t want to think about what losing 1 or 2 of the remaining games will do to the players and fans.
Pies have had a disappointing season starting poorly like the Lions but had a surge to get into 5th spot by round 10.
The Lions had dropped to 12th spot at this stage.
Since then, a mixed bag of results has the Pies 1 game and percentage out of the 8 in 11th spot.
They still have a pulse in regard to making the finals so will be out for a win.
Injuries From Last Weekend
Lions: Nil reported, but Charlie hurt his ankle celebrating a goal. Hopefully okay to play.
Pies: Nil reported, but they did lose DeGoey for the season the week before.
Tag or No Tag
Nick Daicos he got the Jordan tag last week and was not at his best bur still collected 25 disposals.
He had 30 against us in round 3.
I don’t see a hard tag going his way more like a plan around stoppages (maybe Dunkley) and someone or a team-oriented plan around the ground.
However, it would be nice to see how an Ashcroft v Nic Daicos run with role would pan out.
Josh Daicos and Berry went head-to-head in round 3 both had good games.
Predict the same matchup again at least initially.
Tom Mitchell was arguably their best player in round 3 but lucky for us he is injured.
Neale and Zorko i don’t see the Pies applying a hard tag on either.
The Rucks
Round 3: Cox had 27 HO, Cameron 17, Oscar 34 & Fort 13. Total Lions 47 to Pies 44
If Hippy is available i would prefer to just have Oscar and Jo as the rucks.
That gives us an extra mobile player which i think we need more so than trying to get a ruck advantage.
The Midfield
We need a 4-quarter effort from this group.
Neal tagged by Bedford and McCluggage had off games last week.
Neale, Dunkley, Ashcroft, McCluggage v Nic Daicos, Crisp, Pendlebury & i am not sure who will be the fourth maybe Lipinski.
The Pies weakness for this game and we need to ensure we get well on top.
The Wings
Lions
Berry, Fletcher and most likely Bailey (or Ah Chee) with some mids like McCluggage getting a go,
Pies
Sidebottom, Josh Daicos with Noble having a run along with Bytel
If Fletcher can improve his game that will help but i see the Pies ahead here.
The Forwards
Lions
Hippy (hopefully), Daniher, Morris, Charlie, Rayner, Ah Chee, Lohmann and some resting mids.
Thats enough firepower to kick a winning score.
Pies
With Mihocek injured they are a bit light on key marking forwards.
But their small brigade is all capable of kicking multiple goals a game
McStay, McCreery, Hill, Long, Elliott, Schultz, Hosken-Elliott and Lipinski (he could play mid this week).
Last three scores 93 Tigers win, 84 Blues win, 86 Swans loss.
To state the obvious, we need to kick a bigger score than the Pies this week
Defenders
Lions
Andrews, Lester, Joyce, Starcevich, Wilmot, Brain
Height wise we match up better this week to the Pies forwards
Harris and the coaches please don't try and be too cute this week.
Harris playing his usual game is a better defender than when he tries to actually concentrate on defending one particular player.
Pies
Howe, Moore, Quaynor, Maynard, Frampton, maybe Noble if not wing
This group have dropped off in consistency compared to previous years.
Let's hope a few are off their game again this week
Overall
Team wise I think we match up better with the Pies than a lot of teams.
Play 4 quarters of pressure footy and kick a decent score and we win the game.
Winning at the MCG a few weeks before the finals will also be a confidence boost to the playing group and the fans.
We are a pretty good first quarter team and need to keep the Pies fans quiet early.
Build on an early lead and keep the crowd out of the equation.
All the AFL world now know that the Pies at the MCG influence the umpires decisions according to the Pies coach.
I want a 30-point win with the game never in doubt and no injuries.
However, i usually don’t get what i want.
Have to go back ten years since we last beat Collingwood at the MCG in 2014 when we won by 67 points. I was at that game expecting to get flogged and Jono Freeman played like he was Jono Brown kicking 4.

That all be said, we’ve only played them at the MCG twice since (loss in 2017 by 45 points and last years GF by 4).

Still not confident tho.

Have to go back ten years since we last beat Collingwood at the MCG in 2014 when we won by 67 points. I was at that game expecting to get flogged and Jono Freeman played like he was Jono Brown kicking 4.

That all be said, we’ve only played them at the MCG twice since (loss in 2017 by 45 points and last years GF by 4).

Still not confident tho.
Our record at the MCG is not good.

Our MCG record improved a bit in 2023 even though it was 3 games for 3 losses.
Hawks by 25, Demons by 1 then the GF Pies by 4
We need to break this horrible MCG losing record that is hanging around our necks.
Knock the Pies out of the finals race and win at the MCG.
That should boost confidence in the playing group and the fans.
EDIT: as Dalions pointed out we won our only game played at the MCG earlier this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our record at the MCG is not good.

Our MCG record improved a bit in 2023 even though it was 3 games for 3 losses.
Hawks by 25, Demons by 1 then the GF Pies by 4
We need to break this horrible MCG losing record that is hanging around our necks.
Knock the Pies out of the finals race and win at the MCG.
That should boost confidence in the playing group and the fans.
We won our first and only game there this year.
100% in 2024.

Bit unfair on Joyce in the preview. Thrust back in after a broken jaw in foreign headgear, against a very good team and one error makes him untrustworthy for ever. That's pretty hard marking. He was going good before the injury, not great not poor, but certainly a pass mark. Gotta remember this is a bloke with barely 25 games under his belt in a key position. I think we've gotta stick with him. I do think he's better than Hippy defensively, and just as mobile. Maybe not as good a kick as Hippy but ya don't pick a tall defender solely on kicking ability. Hippy's one game down back against the out of 8 Suns playing on an out of form King was good I'll give him that. It is a much different proposition against the Giants and an in form Hogan etc as Joyce experienced or against the Pies this week. Hippy wasn't coming back from an injury either when he played the Suns. I just don't think we're any stronger down back with Hippy rather than Joyce.

Where you do pick a tall on kicking ability and where we are stronger with Hippy is fwd. Smith while he has been functional as a 2nd ruck/fwd he hasn't hit the scoreboard at all I don't think, advantage Hippy here. Hippy being more mobile than Smith also adds more defensive pressure up fwd. That's our game, lock it in fwd. The better the pressure the better chance of doing so. Joe gets his go as second ruck, it's like a pressure release valve for him. He gets to have a run around up the ground, help out on the wings etc.

If we are going to have any chance in the finals we will need to structure up with Hippy n Joe fwd and 2 legitimate talls down back, Andrews n Joyce or Payne. I don't think there's any doubt in that. Joyce is the man we can get game time into at the moment.

Not confident of us winning on Saturday, but happy to be proven wrong. If we have Hippy back I will be leaning towards a win

We won our first and only game there this year.
100% in 2024.
So we did.
For some reason i thought we had not played there this year.
I did say we were improving though and a win by 22 points over the Dees, definitely another improvement:)

Melbourne area​

Saturday 17 August​

Cloudy. Very high chance of showers. Winds northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h turning westerly 20 to 30 km/h during the day.

Melbourne area​

Saturday 17 August​

Cloudy. Very high chance of showers. Winds northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h turning westerly 20 to 30 km/h during the day.

I’m a pessimist and set the bar low in an attempt to try and avoid disappointment. This attitude typically goes out the window in the heat of a match. Mindset at the moment is there’s two games left in the season, whatever happens after that is a bonus. Won’t be long until there’s no footy for six months so have to enjoy it while it’s here.

With a bit of weather predicted, I hope we’ve picked up a few things from the Geelong game earlier in the year i.e. sometimes you just have to play wet weather footy.

Hope we get the job done to (in a very small way) expel some of the memories from the last occasion we played them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back