Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Dow is 24 and can't find the ball.

Dow looks and plays the same as he did when he was at Carlton.
Maybe he'll get better, but its a big maybe. Wouldn't want to be relying on it.

He’s shown patches. I still have hope but overall he’s had a slow start. Injury free years from Jones, Windhager, Clark and Dow could see a few step up. Worst case there is a fair bit of depth there.

It was like something in his brain clicked into place and he went, "hell i don't need to be a bit player, i can take these pussies on off my own boot ".

He had a burst of play in that quarter that helped lift the side. If he’s doing that in year one he really could be absolutely elite.

Shout out to Jack Higgins - twice the player he was when he arrived, selfless with his disposal and chasing, was more pumped after Butler's goal than any of his three, three goal assists also.
Some of Higgins handballing is amazing.

Would love to see him, like the team, start with a bit more intensity each week rather than easing into games.

Only disappointment of the night was only two shots of a grumpy catman and only in the third quarter.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
surprise afl GIF

Shout out to Jack Higgins - twice the player he was when he arrived, selfless with his disposal and chasing, was more pumped after Butler's goal than any of his three, three goal assists also.
Higgo is such as great bloke to have in a footy club. I've noticed he seems to be more focused and serious on the field this season and is playing better footy as a result.

Dow has been a major disappointment so far. I’ll give him one more year but if there’s no improvement I’ll be writing him off. That knee injury right before the start of the season could be a big factor, even his VFL form hasn’t been like it was at Carlton.

Darcy Wilson is super exciting though. Like I said a few weeks ago I really hope we have our sights set higher than a wing for him, he’s got all the tools to be so much more than what we could’ve hoped.

I’d be lying if there wasn’t a small part of me thinking about the draft ramifications of the win at times during the game but I can live with results like these if we take this style into next year. I don’t want us getting ahead of ourselves because while the grind of a season means you can beat some good midfields every now and then but when it’s all on the line in finals and we’re looking at Heeney, Warner, Gulden or Butters, Rozee, JHF (and we all saw what GWS did to us last year) etc I don’t know how we can compete with that without nailing two early picks this year.

That Garcia lace out kick to Higgins is life. No more sub for him please.

Good to see Hunter Clark’s ball use getting back to what we’re used to.

Almost feel bad not mentioning Wilkie most weeks but like all champions they’re victims of their own standards.

Just finished watching the replay. Best half of footy all year.

Just outworked them, couldn't keep up with our running power. Great footy.

This list is not as bad as we make out. Any team with Wilkie, Marshall & Sinclair has the foundations of a good side.

Midfield held up well. If only Clark could run out a full game! That is the Zac Jones we have been missing.

Garcia will be a player. Wilson is a gun. A full season from Pou in the middle and we could be dangerous next year.
I thought we had a good chance against the Cats as their midfield is ordinary

Loved the game, well at least the second half, loved the win, but do not let it fool you into believing that our midfield does not lack
some star power if we want to be a top 4 team, and then in turn a contender.

Crouch I think is cooked. If we could land a Macrae or a Parker type for a couple of years, we can transition the kids a bit. Also if Clark can get a run at it he looks a good inside pig. Doesn't look strong but must be as he seems to win it in close. Really looked the part yesterday in the second.

Pou is looking a genuine mid, Windy can work on his pure mid game as Stocker has shown he is a hard nut lockdown player in the guts, was instrumental in tightening up the centre clearances in the second and was involved in three direct goal assists while keeping Dangerfield and Stewart quiet.

Wilson had a breakout game and can transition to the mids next season, and then we have the two top ten mids we should get.
If Jones, Clark, Steele, and Dow can stay fit, we have a decent basis to improve the midfield over the next couple of seasons.

Needs to be ready by 2027 as we wont improve after Tassie steal all the decent picks.

Hopefully Tasmania hire Trout.

He’s actually been incredible this year. Really a shame we didn’t get him. He probably gets it. I think he’s rated top 20 in the league. Marshall for all round pure impact and MVP type impact is probably better but as a pure ruck the big Cherry is elite. Marshall definitely in the top 2 or 3 rucks this year.
Yes I'm quoting myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we had a good chance against the Cats as their midfield is ordinary

Loved the game, well at least the second half, loved the win, but do not let it fool you into believing that our midfield does not lack
some star power if we want to be a top 4 team, and then in turn a contender.
I very much doubt anyone is under that illusion.

How good is it that we've beaten the Cats at Marvel the last 3 years in a row.

Pretty damn good I reckon.

I've witnessed some horrendous floggings at the Cattery over the journey.

And what's interesting for the stats minded posters out there is that we've been in front at 3/4 time in those 3 games............then gone on and consolidated the win.

Checked my "footy bible" ....a copy of the 2023 AFL Record Season guide and the 2022 game was uncanny in resemblance to Sat nights game.....we also kicked 7 goals in the 3rd that game to hit the front at 3/4 time and went onto a 10 point win.

Ok....enough trivia for one day.

Play on !!!!!!!!!

Best small forward in the competition this year? Would be All Australian squad if he had played every game (would currently be sitting on 40 goals with 1 game to play based on his averages).

How good is it that we've beaten the Cats at Marvel the last 3 years in a row.

Pretty damn good I reckon.

I've witnessed some horrendous floggings at the Cattery over the journey.

And what's interesting for the stats minded posters out there is that we've been in front at 3/4 time in those 3 games............then gone on and consolidated the win.

Checked my "footy bible" ....a copy of the 2023 AFL Record Season guide and the 2022 game was uncanny in resemblance to Sat nights game.....we also kicked 7 goals in the 3rd that game to hit the front at 3/4 time and went onto a 10 point win.

Ok....enough trivia for one day.

Play on !!!!!!!!!
What are the odds we play them once next year, and it will be at the Corio shit hole.

What are the odds we play them once next year, and it will be at the Corio shit hole.
I'll take a punt.....very very short odds for a game at the "Kardinia"

But....the footy scheduling gods(after the shit deal we copped earlier in the year) may also give us another at Marvel.

I forgot to mention in the earlier post that we've actually played them at Marvel 4 years running.

I'd erased that horror night of 2021 from my data storage......from memory we kicked 9 behinds straight before registering our first goal and Big Maxy couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Kicked 1.5 or 1.6 for the night.

I only remember Big Maxy's horror night from the reply.....when he came to the bench....the TV mike picked up in a loud tone..."Duck"

:):):)

Apparently Darcy Wilson was looking tired & in need of some pine time prior to the Cats game according to some. Better rest him against Carlton, save his strength for next year.
Not sure he'd agree with you, most of them want to play footy.
Anyone heard what's going on with Pou?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back