Preview Round 23 v Hawthorn MCG Sunday 18th August 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our final away game for the season we front up against the red hot Hawthorn who demolished Carlton by 12 goals on Sunday to finally get themselves into the top 8 and set up a likely finals appearance after starting the year 0-5 and being below us on the ladder.

So what have we got to gain from this game that makes it worthwhile?

I'd like to see Yze continue to back in the kids, but actually try somethings to see how they work, to do that I'd like to see us go with the following line up:

B: Blight Balta Broad
HB: D.Rioli Vlastuin Trezise
C: Banks Ross Ralphsmith
HF: Bolton Bauer Campbell
F: Mansell Koschitzke M.Rioli
R: Nankervis Taranto Hopper
INT: Short Dow Prestia Ryan Smith

Out: Miller McIntosh Graham
In: Blight M.Rioli Ross

Down back bring in Blight to reward good form and see how he fares playing alongside Balta & Broad as the mobile tall defenders, while setting up across half back with the run and carry of Daniel Vlastuin Trezise Smith & Short. Those 8 defenders give us plenty of counter attacking options while also being a solid defensive unit.

In the midfield surround our contested ball winners in Taranto Hopper Ross Prestia and Dow with outside run and carry, that also has a bit of dare and class with their ball use. Having a quartet of Ralphsmith Campbell Banks & Bolton being able to link up with the rebounding run and carry of Rioli Vlastuin Trezise Smith and Short should allow for more fluency in our transition game, with Bauer playing across HF as the lead up marking option.

Inside F50 have Koschitzke playing as leading option from deep out to the 50m arc, while Mansell and Maurice can play as the pressure small forwards buzzing around at ground level.

I'd be using Ryan to give Nankervis a chop out in the ruck and I'd split their time closer to 50-50 and put the heat on Ryan to start stepping up as a genuine ruck option, because up forward he isn't doing a lot.

It might not work and we still get beaten by the Hawks, but maybe just maybe it generates a bit of excitement for the last fortnight of the season and brings a bit of energy to the line up, because at the moment we're lacking in both areas and it seems to be making it hard for the team to get motivated and for us fans to watch.

Unfortunately I just don't see this happening and we're probably going to get some shuffling of the deckchairs and Ross probably comes in for Smith and that's about it for changes and we'll watch the same thing happen that we saw against the Saints, a glorified training run with little intensity or effort after the first quarter and we'll all sit here Sunday night and moan about how bad things are.

Out: Miller, McIntosh, Dow

In: Blight, Ross, Coulthard

In: Blight, Ross
Out: Ryan, Dow

fb- Blight, Broad, Trezise
hb- Rioli, Miller, Vlastuin
c- Banks, Prestia, Ralphsmith
hf-Bolton , Balta, Campbell
ff- Mansell, Kosi, Bauer
r- Nank, Hopper, Taranto

i/c- Short, Ross, McIntosh, Smith, Graham

Landscape Tumbleweed GIF

Bring on the off season ffs

Looking at some of the members there you'll be struggling....
I was thinking Trout, the Sri Lankan guy and the bald guy with the beard that rubs his hands over his head every time one of our players gets their head taken off and no free kick.

I reckon they'll comfortably be better options than Ryan and Miller

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting sick of these Sunday games. Better get accustomed to it I suppose - we'll be Sunday shitslot for a couple of years thanks to the Geelong fixture guy and our own shitness.
We'll get spanked and it'll be over by half time if not before.

Getting sick of these Sunday games. Better get accustomed to it I suppose - we'll be Sunday shitslot for a couple of years thanks to the Geelong fixture guy and our own shitness.
We'll get spanked and it'll be over by half time if not before.
yep, playing on Sunday's sucks.
it's very tucked away and deserving of our playing style.
Locked in Sunday till we secure some young,fast and exciting kids to change this.

Here is the VFL match report
…I’ve bolded bits of each report…reckon Blight is a lock for selection….Ross maybe

Jacob Blight (32 disposals, 16 intercept possessions, 75% disposal efficiency, 13 marks, 11 intercept marks, 13 rebound-50s)

“Jacob Blight was outstanding on the day with 16 intercept possessions. When he was in contest, he absolutely dominated the game. A couple of things that we are working on include trying to fast-track his understanding of our game plan, but really pleased with the progress he's making.”

Tyler Sonsie (27 disposals, six rebound-50s, four inside-50s, three tackles, six clearances)

“Tyler found the ball regularly throughout the day with 27 disposals and six clearances, however, I would love to see him be a little more damaging with ball in hand moving forward.”

Jack Ross (27 disposals, four marks, six inside-50s, three tackles, three clearances)

Jack Ross had an enormous impact on the game after coming on at quarter time. He's missed a lot of footy this season. It's great to see Jack back out on the field and having a huge impact. The only knock on his game was not making the most of a couple of opportunities in front of goal, but an outstanding return from a player who led really well on the day.”

Jagga Smith (24 disposals, 17 contested possessions, three rebound-50s, seven clearances)

“It was great to have young Jagga Smith in Richmond colours over the past few weeks. It was the first time we got to see him in great conditions, and I thought he led the way around the contest with 17 contested possessions and seven clearances. He's got a bright future ahead of him.”

Sam Davidson (16 disposals, 88% disposal efficiency, three marks, three inside-50s, four tackles)

“Whilst he didn't hit the scoreboard on the weekend, I thought he looked extremely dangerous forward of the footy. He's got a huge tank, and his work rate was on show. We just probably didn't utilise him as often as we would have liked on the weekend, and that hurt our ability to score in front of goals.”

Noah Cumberland (16 disposals, eight contested possessions, three marks, three inside-50s)

“Noah found the ball fairly regularly on the day but just was unable to make the most of his opportunities. He has the ability to create for his teammates, and it was just the finishing touch that was missing on the weekend. We know that we need a fit and firing ‘Cumbo’ that's full of confidence. I’m looking forward to seeing that version of him this week.”

Matthew Coulthard (14 disposals, 79% disposal efficiency, six marks, three inside-50s)

“I thought he had another really good game. He is a player that we know will continue to run the patterns that are asked of him and do what's asked of him in our structure, and he understands our game plan like the back of his hand. I think we're still looking for him to have a greater impact on the game, as we know he's got the ability to do so. But the wide-open spaces of IKON should suit him, should he not be required at AFL level.”

Finn O’Sullivan (12 disposals, 83% disposal efficiency, two goals)

“I was really excited by Finn's game. He looked a class above the level. The really impressive thing from Finn was the fact that he probably could have thrown the towel in after a really heavy knock in the first quarter that reduced his time up the ground and around the footy, but he put his hand up to stay out on the field for the team and just looked really classy with ball in hand, made some really good decisions, and showed his lateral movement and strength in contest. Really exciting to see him step up and match it with senior players at VFL level.”

Archie May (13 disposals, 85% disposal efficiency, six marks, four inside-50s, three goals)

“He's missed nine weeks of footy, and it certainly didn't look like that was the case. I thought he looked really dangerous up forward. He is a young developing tall that we have a lot of time for and think that there are big things in order for him in the future. It was great to see him take another step forward in his development as a player.”

Maurice Rioli Jr. (11 disposals, 82% disposal efficiency, three marks, five tackles)

“Another step forward in Maurice’s return back to AFL level. I think he looks really dangerous, and I love what he does playing his role for the team. He's got to continue to lean into this, and I'm sure that AFL footy is not too far away for ‘MJ’.”

Liam Fawcett (five disposals, 80% disposal efficiency, two marks, one goal)

This kid really excites me. He's got a huge tank and has developed a frame this year that he wouldn't have been able to develop had he not been out injured. He looks like a big key forward who will succeed at AFL level in time, and he's just a great kid. It’s really exciting for Tigers fans to see him back out on the field and eager to witness the next steps in his development.”

Oliver Hayes-Brown (four disposals, 75% disposal efficiency, three clearances, 14 hit-outs)

“A really tough matchup for Ollie on the weekend coming up against a really seasoned AFL ruckman in Tom Campbell. Unfortunately, Tom got the better of Ollie, but there were many lessons to be learnt from Sunday's game. I'm sure that Ollie, as he has done all year, will continue to work at his craft with Ivan Maric and develop and grow his game.”

Last edited:
Main Training Today:

Blight played back and Balta forward in what looked like the A team.

McAuliffe trained fully

Absent:
Marlion & Seth

A couple of battered bodies managed but don't look a concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back