Autopsy Round 23 vs Carlton Blues @ The Bank - 19/08/23 - 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

In regards to King’s VFL comments, I think Sexton gets back to defence a fair bit and also plays more up the ground a lot more than he used to.

Agreed that Chol cannot be let go. Under any circumstances (short of a god tier offer).

King is injured this week, Chol comes in. Casboult is going round again, but what can we really expect from him next season, in all honesty? That’s our “tall” (as in, actually 198+) depth right there.
Yeah, I am really surprised people would even suggest Chol to go. Casboult is 34, Walter first year player. Luko is not typical KPF. A couple of injuries and it could be Read and Walter, or Andrew haha.

In regards to King’s VFL comments, I think Sexton gets back to defence a fair bit and also plays more up the ground a lot more than he used to.

Agreed that Chol cannot be let go. Under any circumstances (short of a god tier offer).

King is injured this week, Chol comes in. Casboult is going round again, but what can we really expect from him next season, in all honesty? That’s our “tall” (as in, actually 198+) depth right there.
Well it comes back to my sadly prophetic questioning pre-season re where our improvement was going to come from.In fact in all likelihood we will have gone back backwards.No point looking at W-L ratios as West Coast North and to a certain extent early season Hawks have distorted any meaningful interpretation of that significantly.
We can hope Jed Walter and Read develop quickly from a tall perspective I guess
Another 5 year plan!Huzzah!

I think this turns around quickly with some capable coaching and another year of experience in the team. We are a last quarter capitulation against Fremantle and a missed MacPherson set shot against Melbourne to being right into the finals fight.

You can't look at the ladder this year for justification, the middle of the competition is so damn even that you can throw a blanket over 8 teams quite easily, including us.

I think this turns around quickly with some capable coaching and another year of experience in the team. We are a last quarter capitulation against Fremantle and a missed MacPherson set shot against Melbourne to being right into the finals fight.

You can't look at the ladder this year for justification, the middle of the competition is so damn even that you can throw a blanket over 8 teams quite easily, including us.
No doubt, we are not far off but so are so many teams. Can you say with confidence that next year we will jump ahead of any team in current top 8, possibly with the same list (not counting academy kids learning ropes) and adjusting to a new system? Then your got GWS, Essendon, Crows, Freo. All looking like improving. Are Cats, Tigers (probably) out next year? Even Hawks started to play some great footy.

Last edited:
No doubt, we are not far off but so are so many teams. Can you say with confidence that next yearwe will jump any team in current top 8, possibly with the same list (not counting academy kids learning ropes) and adjusting to a new system? Then your got GWS, Essendon, Crows, Freo. All looking like improving. Are Cats, Tigers (probably) out next year? Even Hawks started to play some great footy.
Nothing is a sure thing, so no, but do I think we will be better equipped? Yes.

Nothing is a sure thing, so no, but do I think we will be better equipped? Yes.
If we don't bring top quality the improvement must come from natural progression of the list and magic of the new coach (and it does look like most asssitant coaches will stay).

I have some serious doubts we will jump ahead of many of those teams I mentioned next year and in top 8 possibly only Saints. But that's just me being pessimistic.

Last edited:

A full Pre-season of football were actually “kicking a football to a leading player” will make an enormous difference. We’ve had 10+ seasons of players running up and down hills to get fitness and our skills are still deplorable because we don’t drill them enough. Fitness is relative, you don’t need to run as much if you’re the one with the ball.

Watching the Lions versus magpies last night you see players with super quick hands and others leading to provide options you can see they are really well drilled. I would also suggest our overall talent on the list is the equal if not superior to both the sides it just hasn’t been unlocked.

Last edited:
Our midfield + a forward line of Chol, Luko, and King, when our entire gameplan isn’t bomb it to Levi + hopefully some competent, modern gameplanning SHOULD see us win at least 2 more games and get us properly (not just mathematically) in the mix for finals.

I can’t exaggerate my thoughts on just how incompetently Dew had us playing. No year-to-year player development or progression, an old-fashion, conservative game plan that negated the youthfulness, speed, and flair of our young players and had them second guessing themselves and failing to play their own game at fear of making a mistake, players running around for the sake of showing effort rather than with any particular purpose, and an inability to adapt to the players he had.
/rant.

We don’t need to “jump” the teams above us. This year has shown we just have to take our chances when they come and the competition is so close that the rest will take care of itself.

Well it comes back to my sadly prophetic questioning pre-season re where our improvement was going to come from.In fact in all likelihood we will have gone back backwards.No point looking at W-L ratios as West Coast North and to a certain extent early season Hawks have distorted any meaningful interpretation of that significantly.
Disagree with the fact we can’t look at W-L.

Yep, North and WCE are bad. They were last year too though. In fact, most years there are 1-2 teams on 2-4 wins.

But this year the rest of the comp is more even than ever, so it balances out as teams are beating each other all around the league on any given day. Case in point: we’re 15th on 9 wins at almost 93%.

Normally that’s 13th or 12th with a percentage of 80-85%. And a few years ago that got you to 9th on wins, 10th on percentage.

Now none of that says we are on the cusp of a finals team. But the ladder says we need 10% improvement overall to be close.

As for this year: if we too got to play WCE twice, then didn’t lose to Freo or held on against Melbourne/[insert game we faded out here], and that’s our 10%. Small margins.

Can Harwick bring that? Can we bring that ourselves? Can we recruit it or draft it? Dunno.

There were not enough improvers in total, but there some very strong performers mixed in.

Luko has gone from a question mark to a genuine forward threat.
Rowell has had some genuine monster games and monster periods in games and is a lot better than last year.
Flanders looks like a mid who can help a team win rather than one that just gets the pill.
Mac Andrew has gone from wtf? to wtf! in a handful of games.

Big question marks over them in the pre-season.....apart from the Hype Train, of course. Now we just need the Year of the Crab to kick in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree with the fact we can’t look at W-L.

Yep, North and WCE are bad. They were last year too though. In fact, most years there are 1-2 teams on 2-4 wins.

But this year the rest of the comp is more even than ever, so it balances out as teams are beating each other all around the league on any given day. Case in point: we’re 15th on 9 wins at almost 93%.

Normally that’s 13th or 12th with a percentage of 80-85%. And a few years ago that got you to 9th on wins, 10th on percentage.

Now none of that says we are on the cusp of a finals team. But the ladder says we need 10% improvement overall to be close.

As for this year: if we too got to play WCE twice, then didn’t lose to Freo or held on against Melbourne/[insert game we faded out here], and that’s our 10%. Small margins.

Can Harwick bring that? Can we bring that ourselves? Can we recruit it or draft it? Dunno.
I don't disagree-how can you?
But isn't that any given Sunday-any given Season you've summarised there
You may as well argue Collingwood shouldn't be minor premiers because they keep getting lucky in the last 10 minutes of games
You make your own luck

Rowell, Anderson, Lukosius, Ballard are absolute key to us becoming a good team. They all had their best years.

Flanders and Andrew have emerged.

Hunphires has something about him.

They are the positives.

The negatives,

Jeffrey, Hollands, Rosas didn’t progress as we’d have hoped.

Miller, Holman, Long, Chol had disappointing years due to injury or just average form.

That probably equals a below average season.

I said at the start of a year that to be a successful team people like Holman need to stop being first picked. Need to eventually move past pure pressure players if we are ever going to kick enough of a score to win games. Team pressure and work rate lifts, then we can have more goal kicking types up forward and be more dangerous. We just have nothing when the ball hits the ground.

I said at the start of a year that to be a successful team people like Holman need to stop being first picked. Need to eventually move past pure pressure players if we are ever going to kick enough of a score to win games. Team pressure and work rate lifts, then we can have more goal kicking types up forward and be more dangerous. We just have nothing when the ball hits the ground.
Brisbane kicked so many goals from broken play in the forward 50 last night.

Cameron, Ah Chee, Rayner, Bailey, Hipwood all dangerous in those scenarios.

Rowell, Anderson, Lukosius, Ballard are absolute key to us becoming a good team. They all had their best years.

Flanders and Andrew have emerged.

Hunphires has something about him.

They are the positives.

The negatives,

Jeffrey, Hollands, Rosas didn’t progress as we’d have hoped.

Miller, Holman, Long, Chol had disappointing years due to injury or just average form.

That probably equals a below average season.
Powell playing well in-between injuries was another positive.

I would even consider Atkins resurrection a miracle.

Brisbane kicked so many goals from broken play in the forward 50 last night.

Cameron, Ah Chee, Rayner, Bailey, Hipwood all dangerous in those scenarios.
All of those are classy sort of players, Holman tackles and gets the odd scraggy goal but he isn't going to crumb front and centre or make something out of nothing.

I wonder if Chol will be pumped up and have a big game today. No doubt he's been frustrating by not getting picked lately but this is his chance to show Dimma that he deserves a spot next year. Then again, you'd expect Casboult to also be pumped to put on a show against his former teammates. Could be a big day for our key forwards!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back