Game Day Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to get Charlie back into some goal kicking form before finals. Everything else pretty meh from that first half. Actually, Kai been pretty good too.

If Lachie was needing the 3 votes this game I’m not sure the first half was it. Had a bit of ball but seems a bit fumbly compared to his usual standards and some of his kicking has been off tonight.

Would consider subbing Eric early this quarter. Doesn’t look right out there and we’ll need him to make any noise next month, no matter what other so called experts say.

So our defensive positioning is outstanding. The way we cover even when we lose possession unexpectedly is impressive. It's clearly something that has been drilled extensively and I think our coaching group deserve a lot of credit for that.

Where we fall down I think is I don't think we adopt anywhere near the same degree of rigour and discipline to our ball movement. By that I mean both the positioning of our players, and the decisions we make when we have the ball. By comparison it all seems very haphazard and I'm not convinced the players are predictable to each other. Obviously Joe is the easy target here, but it's everyone. Our goals tend to be more happy accidents than well crafted works of art.

I suspect most of us who have jobs have routines, or processes we stick to when we are expected to perform certain tasks. Sometimes you may question why you have to do step x or step y, but those steps probably exist for good reason. It looks like we have a similar, rigorous framework we stick to when we defend. I don't think we have that similar framework when we have the ball. And if we do, we struggle to adhere to it. Maybe our players lack discipline, maybe the process needs to be improved.

And I think that results in us losing the ball far more often than we should, therefore having to defend far more often than we should, and over the course of 4 quarters, this catches up to us.

I don't know, these are just my back of an envelope thoughts having watched that first half far more dispassionately than I would normally, from my usual vantage point, top tier behind the goals at the western end.

Does anyone know our winning / losing % at the Gabba this year compared to the last few years ?

So there is a young lady performing at half time. I know this cos I can hear the music and see it on the big screen. But I have no idea where the stage actually is! It's somewhere in the crowd. I had the same problem during the big freeze. Where is this stage!?
In front of scoreboard school end

It's pretty clear our defence is undermanned. That's why we will fall short this year. The two Irishmen don't get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back