Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hats off to Lohmann, is putting together some season. I really like Morris but he has the yips right now.

Yes, tonight wasn't pretty, but if you'd told me round 7-10 that we could finish 5th, I would have laughed at you.

Please drop McKenna and Joyce, other than our goal kicking these are leaky buckets. Thought Answerth was a really great inclusion.

On your second point I agree; context is everything. A few weeks ago we were pushing to lock in 2nd and compete for the minor premiership, but only a couple months ago I was looking at the ladder at the end of every round and agonising over what would need to go our way just to make the 8.

doesn't even need that. just needs a well worded question by a reporter and a cautious..
"yeah.... I don't know, Joe doesn't seem to get those calls..... but we'll keep trying"

and then a nicely placed 3 minute segment on.. lets say fox, showing some of the non-calls joe has had this year.

oh who am I kidding. it is a fantasy

in all seriousness. That kick by the ess defender on Hipwood was so disgusting. first thing that came to mind when I woke up today and thought about the game..

We won by 1 goal, 14 points. We have the yips, big time. Watched Logan, and he did not expect to kick straight. Gotta fix that.

This has been an issue 3 weeks in a row, and has dogged us all season. Psychology required.

Kai is a star.

While I agree with sentiment that we are poor in fourth quarters and let teams back in.

I do, however, also believe that the AFL wanted Essendon to win. Not because they have any issues with the lions but look at the ladder... How many finals are being played in melb? The AFL wants finals in melb, us securing a home final is bad news when the top four are all out of state teams bar Geelong. Us losing would mean one of Hawthorn or Bulldogs would get that home final.

That being said, it would be a moot point if we actually kicked straight and put the game out of doubt. We desperately need to address our goal kicking and fade outs. It won't cut it during finals.

We won by 1 goal, 14 points. We have the yips, big time. Watched Logan, and he did not expect to kick straight. Gotta fix that.

This has been an issue 3 weeks in a row, and has dogged us all season. Psychology required.

Kai is a star.
Kai is a star.

Worst set shot of the night would have to go to Josh Dunkley. It was almost as if he was trolling Fagan. Laughable.

I don't know if it has been mentioned or discussed, but on the vision of Joe's goal that was overturned, I couldn't see any damn spike on the ball. They went down the other end and immediately scored, so that was a 12 point decision against. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention though?

I don't know if it has been mentioned or discussed, but on the vision of Joe's goal that was overturned, I couldn't see any damn spike on the ball. They went down the other end and immediately scored, so that was a 12 point decision against. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention though?
Was definitely a spike

I was sitting in front of an unhinged woman at the ground. She was screaming how she’s done with the team and going to support another and kept screaming What is f’n wrong with this team. Never seen someone react so badly to a win.

She might’ve been posting in the gameday thread as well

I would argue no last minute injuries.

And in all honestly we have no momentum. A one game momentum streak doesn't mean much after the last two losses.

With how we are having to utilize our depth, 4 points and the clean bill of health is all I wanted.
Would not be surprised if Dad played part of the last qtr concussed looking a bit lost after a collision with another Lion. Hope I am wrong and he is not now susceptible to concussion from innocuous knocks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would not be surprised if Dad played part of the last qtr concussed looking a bit lost after a collision with another Lion. Hope I am wrong and he is not now susceptible to concussion from innocuous knocks.
100k fine for the club if true.
I dearly hope not.
But the whole team looked concussed to me, in that last quarter.

Are the Dons in trouble for a few incidents with their players? Saw a bit of talk from Dons supporters that the MRO could suspend their players
They should have a close examination at suspending the yellow dudes as well. So blatantly inconsistent in the last qtr. Obviously Joe's and Charlie's report cards have been marked never to receive a free kick again. Perhaps revenge for a history of dives by Joe. Embarrassing to watch these guys attempts at officiating. Back in the old days if the ump had a shocker they would be sent to the country to umpire the following week. Need to watch the replay but I don't think I am wrong....tisk! Tisk! TisK! TISK!.

Tackle numbers still very low across the team. Dunkley 8, Answerth 4, Ashcroft 3, everyone else below that.

Pressure rating for the game : Lions 150 Bombers 166.

Team isn't stacking up to be worthy of a deep run come finals. Here's hoping a different team shows up from next game onwards.

Tackle numbers still very low across the team. Dunkley 8, Answerth 4, Ashcroft 3, everyone else below that.

Team isn't stacking up to be worthy of a deep run come finals. Here's hoping a different team shows up from next game onwards.
Admittedly it was a bit of a dead rubber - match. We expected to win and did so. Essendon expected to lose and did so.

Take a look at the other matches of equal expectation this round. The only difference is we missed goals, while Cats and Hawks kicked 26 goals each! Melbourne & Collingwood was about the lowest pressure Friday night game i’ve seen.
I’m sure there’s an element of preservation from all players - individually not much to win, but a lot to lose. Just ask Dan Houston.

As far as I'm concerned, Kai is now a lock in the side no matter what, even if Linc is available Round 1 next season.

Has tons of natural ability AND backs it up with hard work, energy and a disciplined approach to his game.

So much to like

I thought he was close to BOG in the first half tonight
Yep... I think Linc struggles to come back into the team unless we can repurpose him which I don't think is a crazy idea

I doubt our pressure rating and tackling stats were much better last year

Subject to Payne playing at the level required next week, Starce and Payne in. I don’t know who comes out. Probably sharp. I really want to keep Answerth in but he might get squeezed.

Subject to Payne playing at the level required next week, Starce and Payne in. I don’t know who comes out. Probably sharp. I really want to keep Answerth in but he might get squeezed.
I think Starc for McKenna? Noz needs to stay in because at times he was the only one left gut running. Lester only gets a pass because of previous performance.

Don't think Payne will be that much more of an upgrade on Joyce either unless he is 100%

The umps tonight to a man really were a pathetic excuse for umpires. They were awful, inconsistent in interpretations and missed so many frees yet rewarded others and none are AFL standard.

Then again, one only needs to watch the VFL to see how bad umpiring is. Those guys perform like its the first time they’ve umpired.

That being said, you actually see a lot of good umps at local level, albeit they don’t have the fitness of AFL umpires but are far more in tune with the game.

And yet the whole umpires department are such snowflakes that they are immune for criticism or never made to justify their actions or explain their reasoning via a pat match press conference. Problem is, most AFL journalists are even weaker and wouldn’t ask them tough questions anyway.

I get frustrated during the game with the umpires too . But the next day I'm always umpires have the worst job. It's hard, they make many more decisions than the players and players make mistakes.

Attracting new umpires is hard. By the time they have done a few years at local level they have already copped more abuse in their workplace than most of us will have in lifetime.

They know they are going to be abused st AFL level even if they get 99% of their decisions right. So the ones who make are mostly invulnerable to outside criticism. That's a small pool of available people.

Umpires are reviewed after games but not by emotional fans who hurl ugly abuse. They restrict the coaches taking about it because if they do it's ugly fan pile on and it will drive umpires out of the game. We need them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Back