Autopsy Round 24, 2024 - Saints defeat Boos

Remove this Banner Ad

And another 40 pages of people whinging about his opinion, who gives a ****. It’s not a church. He can have alternate views and it doesn’t matter.

He loves this draft and is disappointed to be out of the sweetest picks. Doesn’t sound that unreasonable to me.
It's less his opinion and more the childish manner in which he expresses it and goes after people. Clogging up the thread with mindless dross

That’s good to hear Tony and absolutely no pressure to nail this years draft picks now
What do you mean no pressure to nail draft picks , maybe you shouldn't be posting so late at night , there is always pressure to nail draft picks

his short kicking is a real weapon too. He can be messy when he kicks for distance but when he lowers his eyes he seems to nail them.
I still have a template in my brain from St Kilda’s late 1980s, when we started to emerge from the dark and murky waters of those dark canals, and into the big flowing river of success.

And so many players I see now, I compare to that era. In Ronnie Byrnes, who would you compare him to? Frankie Coghlan? He is starting to resemble him a bit to me. Heart ‘n soul, always up to it and throwing himself in. Not a great kick, but working on it and his limits..

A terrible win. Saints fans celebrating like we've won the premiership when in reality we beat an undermanned team without their two Coleman Medallists. Also hilarious you guys keep shitting on Blues fans for "not making finals" when in the end, as expected, they did. 2 hours of dopamine before crashing back down to earth, and now fans are scrambling to climb up the order or hoping for "luck" to go our way in the draft

Also the "culture" piece. How is one win going to define culture? Is it really that fragile and weak? You know what would build culture? A full year of winning and a premiership cup, which is what losing against the Blues would've helped to increase the likelihood of for the years to come

I know I sound like a major pessimist and a massive dickhead, but I'm looking to the future. I want our club to set ourselves up for long-term and sustained success and the best draft picks give us the best chance at achieving this - not some petty rivalries that in the grand scheme of things, mean nothing when they have more premierships than us

The draft this year has a clear top 6. We now have picks 7&8. There is a reason why experts are calling it a weaker top-end - because it is! And now we do not have priority access to it. Please do not compare this to the Pou and Wilson drafts, it is a completely different scenario and doing so would render you clueless of this year's crop

I won't get started on the fixture effect because tbh if we can't beat the better sides then we don't deserve to achieve anything. But it IS another factor that could help us achieve great things

Saints fans. If you want to reply to this, do not hold back. I want to hear opinions because these are my thoughts and I'm sinking with depression because of it. Please help me see the light
Some of you are allergic to fun I swear. It’s a game we as supporters have very very little control over. Take the fun of it when you can mate either we nail the draft and improve or we don’t and that could have happened if we held pick 5 or pick 7. What we do get to do regardless is be happy with a win.

Some of you are allergic to fun I swear. It’s a game we as supporters have very very little control over. Take the fun of it when you can mate either we nail the draft and improve or we don’t and that could have happened if we held pick 5 or pick 7. What we do get to do regardless is be happy with a win.
The win was worth it for the moment my kid and I got to go nuts on the couch when Higgins kicked that goal. Really special moment. He's only recently gotten into footy, he's now pumped for the AFLW and the next men's season.

The win was worth it for the moment my kid and I got to go nuts on the couch when Higgins kicked that goal. Really special moment. He's only recently gotten into footy, he's now pumped for the AFLW and the next men's season.
At the end of the day we are fans/supporters/members. Of course we are important and the club ceases to exist without us.

As fans/supporters/members we have various opinions in regards to winning v tanking.

But the players are the team, and their sheer joy and excitement when the final siren rang told me everything I needed to know. Take the win and the positive energy to finish off the year.

All that talk this year of North players wanting out because they keep losing. And all that talk about how happy the Hawks players are winning each week.

We are not a big club. We don't get the big games. We struggle to attract FAs.

Losing games will not help change that situation.

Ok I have a confession

Ryan Byrnes played his best game ever for us on the weekend , he may have had games with bigger numbers than yesterday but yesterday he was damaging when he got the ball and took a few really strong marks , so well done young fella I was wrong.
I was your biggest fan many years ago and dropped off you , so glad to see you fight your way through a lean period and come out the other side

There’s nothing special about Byrnes but somehow he just keeps improving each and every facet of his game. A little bit of everything every week makes for serious improvement over time. He was a monty (lol) to get delisted a few months ago but now he looks like at least he’ll be good depth for years to come.

Outstanding win. The club and players should be proud they fought to the last second of the season. While some might question how this has any impact on culture, I think it's great Ross has made it clear over the past 2 months that there is always something to play for when you pull on a St Kilda jumper. Every moment matters and is a chance to work towards something. This is the mindset that sets groups up towards something greater.

And seriously, what is so special about pick 5 anyway? What makes it that much greater than two spots later? No one could even say for sure who we would have taken. For all we know, we could end up with the same player at pick 7 that we would have taken with 5. But what we do know is whoever we select with pick 7 is coming into an environment that is striving to play their best every time they step out on the field and where games are earned on performance.

Ok I have a confession

Ryan Byrnes played his best game ever for us on the weekend , he may have had games with bigger numbers than yesterday but yesterday he was damaging when he got the ball and took a few really strong marks , so well done young fella I was wrong.
I was your biggest fan many years ago and dropped off you , so glad to see you fight your way through a lean period and come out the other side
His disposal has really improved as well this year. Big kudos for him for taking this opportunity and overcoming his weaknesses.

I know it's pretty much all we have to talk about now but the draft conversation feels really blown out of proportion. We'll take (hopefully) two kids in the top 10 and we simply won't know for at least 3 years but more likely 5 whether it was worth it to win this game and fall down the order. But if we are talking about that in 3-5 years, a lot more beyond these picks has gone wrong also.

But I think you'll find even if pick 5 turns into Lenny Hayes and pick 7 Raph Clarke, we won't be coming back and bemoaning this win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's save the bickering. Come on y'all were all on the same team.
Did anyone consider that we weren't even trying to win that hard. I mean I thought we played like crap for most of the game. They still couldn't beat us. Says more about Carlton than us really.

Thoughts:

• I completely refute the argument that winning yesterday will have a deleterious effect on our future. Regardless of the cattle argument, Carlton threw the kitchen sink at us (as they should have given the importance of the game) and we still won. Yesterday was finals intensity for four quarters, we lost the lead with no obvious reason to regain it, and kept coming. If you don't see how that will make each of those players better, especially the younger ones, you have an inability to see what is right in front of your face.
  • It's amazing how much Higgins has improved, and how it is all related to his attitude. His ability to work through challenges in games and be selfless (and selfish when required like all good small forwards) in much improved. He keeps going on the same trajectory and plays another 6-7 seasons, we will rate him above Schneider when all is said and done.
  • The harsh brutal call is still to delist Zac Jones, but geebus he's been good the last six weeks.
  • Three of the most beautiful kicks yesterday by Brad Hill. Just gorgeous.
Great post there TP.

I must admit....I'm a little torn regarding Zac......he has had a great last 6 weeks.

He's obviously been told to keep the "kamikaze" stuff to a minimum.......and it's worked very very well.

It's a probability question, nothing else. Is there a greater probability of getting a better player with a higher pick? Yes, of course there is.

But the probability narrows as the gap diminishes. Is the probability of getting a star at pick 5 much greater than the probability of getting a star at pick 7? No, it's not. Perhaps there is a slight advantage but it is nothing more than that. The development of the player and the environment they are drafted in will have just as much of an impact with such a small difference in draft picks.

This thread reads like we are North at the end of last year. Harley Reid was a once in a generation who was head and shoulders above anyone else in his draft class. He can change a club and pick 1 guaranteed access to him.

The draft is a lottery unless you're talking about a guy like Reid. Every club has wins and losses at the draft, some more than others.

We have built a really strong platform for 2025 off the back of an 8-4 record and 3 wins against the top 8 in the second half of the season. It keeps the belief with Lyon and excitement for next year.

What a flog you are lol.

I was just stating facts at the time. Indisputable. Just because you randomly threw a decent dart, it doesn't change one thing.

End of story.
Randomly you say ? Here is a random fact for you.

2nd on the ladder, 7 of their last 8 vs. Outside the 8, repeatedly shitting the bed when wins were needed against much worse opposition in the last month.

Only a flog would chest beat over a bookies tiny margin rather than you know, thinking for themselves.

I still have a template in my brain from St Kilda’s late 1980s, when we started to emerge from the dark and murky waters of those dark canals, and into the big flowing river of success.

And so many players I see now, I compare to that era. In Ronnie Byrnes, who would you compare him to? Frankie Coghlan? He is starting to resemble him a bit to me. Heart ‘n soul, always up to it and throwing himself in. Not a great kick, but working on it and his limits..
Plugger's eyes would light up when Skeeta got the ball

Outstanding win. The club and players should be proud they fought to the last second of the season. While some might question how this has any impact on culture, I think it's great Ross has made it clear over the past 2 months that there is always something to play for when you pull on a St Kilda jumper. Every moment matters and is a chance to work towards something. This is the mindset that sets groups up towards something greater.

And seriously, what is so special about pick 5 anyway? What makes it that much greater than two spots later? No one could even say for sure who we would have taken. For all we know, we could end up with the same player at pick 7 that we would have taken with 5. But what we do know is whoever we select with pick 7 is coming into an environment that is striving to play their best every time they step out on the field and where games are earned on performance.
100% basically said the same thing myself , its not like every club thinks the same way or has the same needs

100% basically said the same thing myself , its not like every club thinks the same way or has the same needs

On the radio this morning, whoever it was divided the draft into 3 bands, and then stated that Saints had just gone from one of their imaginary bands into the next.

I hope you sat him down and told him that the goal had just cost us pick 5 and consigned us to a lifetime of mediocrity.
Only kidding. I imagine for people with kids moments like that are priceless. He’ll probably be wearing his Saints jumper for the next six months.

Last edited:
At the end of the day we are fans/supporters/members. Of course we are important and the club ceases to exist without us.

As fans/supporters/members we have various opinions in regards to winning v tanking.

But the players are the team, and their sheer joy and excitement when the final siren rang told me everything I needed to know. Take the win and the positive energy to finish off the year.

All that talk this year of North players wanting out because they keep losing. And all that talk about how happy the Hawks players are winning each week.

We are not a big club. We don't get the big games. We struggle to attract FAs.

Losing games will not help change that situation.

All I know is I watched norf and wet toast absolutely waste everybodys time by even running out there (actually unconfirmed reports if they did run out frankly) and then I watched us fight out a win. I know what I prefer watching and I know what I would prefer to be going to if I was a young fella in the draft.

Jesus there's some next level tantrums in this board today!

To all the tank supporters, the draft is even, and each clubs has their own rankings board. Every chance we pick the same person at 7 that we would have at pick 5. And if we don't, every chance the player we pick at 7 ends up the better player than the one picked at 5.

Drafting isn't exact, and it's better to look at the draft in blocks, than at the numbers specifically. In this draft I reckon there's 4 elite non NGA/FS prospects ATM ( Smith, FOS, Draper and Trainor), and then the next 6ish are pretty similar on talent (Lalor, Langford, Smilie, Armstrong, Reid, Travaliga).

What is certain, however, is that winning is good for the development of players like NAS, Pou, Wilson etc.

How good do you think Ronnie Byrnes is feeling right now? He's just put in a block of great games, capped off by his best game in Saints colours in which he had a key part in setting up Higgins game winner. He now has something to build on over the preseason.

How do you think You would have felt all summer knowing he missed the game winner? Do you think he'd do better knowing that he actually helped us win a game, rather than lost it?

At the end of the day, we want to be drafting kids in to a team that has a winning culture, rather than hoping for said kids to bring that cultures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24, 2024 - Saints defeat Boos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back