Autopsy Round 24: Hawks cull the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching it at the time, I thought we lacked direction early without Day, were fumbly all day, and our captain was taking the piss half the time.

But since we managed to find a way to win by 20 goals I think I should probably cut them some more slack.

Fantastic H&A season from the boys, and looking forward to finals.
Shocking take.

You’d perhaps be surprised how many people give their votes based on fantasy rankings in any game.

Seeing Simpkin get votes just made me sad that these people get paid to write and commentate about our great game.
I don't think that's why Simpkin got a vote. Even without the fantasy points he had a pretty complete, solid game. Tackled hard, got a lot of the ball, kicked 3.

I think the problem is more that the AFL landscape shifted to a point where certain players joined terrible teams and still maintained individually great games - despite Gold Coast losing by 70 you couldn't really get around Gaz Jr getting votes for having 41 and kicking 4 goals in 2011. Prior to that you'd never see players poll in losing games no matter how good they were.

I don't think that's why Simpkin got a vote. Even without the fantasy points he had a pretty complete, solid game. Tackled hard, got a lot of the ball, kicked 3.

I think the problem is more that the AFL landscape shifted to a point where certain players joined terrible teams and still maintained individually great games - despite Gold Coast losing by 70 you couldn't really get around Gaz Jr getting votes for having 41 and kicking 4 goals in 2011. Prior to that you'd never see players poll in losing games no matter how good they were.
I take your point.

My own opinion: I was at the ground and despite being soaked, I do reckon there were 10-12 players who played a better game, including blokes who got nearly 100 fantasy points less than Simpkin.

Don’t get me wrong - he’s a really good player in a poor side.

Anyway - on with the show. Tickets go on sale Wednesday 10am! GO HAWKS.

the kayo coverage cut to the tigers game but does anyone know if clarkson participated all in the joint acknowledgment of the shiels retirement and at least mixed with bruest, gunston, etc, if not Sam.

In games to date he has headed to the rooms i think. Has said a bit about the animosity that even post game there are no smiles and handshakes.

i don’t really care but curious if there has been any thawing.

Yes he did participate but it look me awhile to find him right at the front of the North Melbourne contingent and a quick exit into the change rooms.
I did not see Clarko mix or talk with anyone from The Hawks but I may of missed it as-well?
Bruest and Gunners were not far away from him and I did not notice any communication between either parties which I find a little sad!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We sit right next to where the opposition coach walks up and down to their coaches box. I watched Clarko after the game, and he did NOT go anywhere near Sam or any of our players. He walked onto the ground, took a sharp right, and walked along the boundary to the North Melbourne race.

I kind of lost him then, so not 100% sure if he interacted with Gunners and Punky, but looks like Rowie6 had a better of Shiela's exit than I did.

Credit to the crowd there though, they gave Shiela a nice warm send off.

Interesting stat to top the weekend off with - despite trouncing North, they actually worked harder to cover ground than any other club this round. In terms of total repeat sprinting efforts, we finished with 42, they finished with 37. The next highest this round was Geelong with 32. They also covered more ground in total than any other club this weekend, and kept up with us - 310kms total. Next best was West Coast with 303.

North didn't physically give up, they tried EXTREMELY hard, we just made them completely submit with our effort and running. So if you watched that game and you were nervous early, just know that North came with pride and to play - we just bulldozed them.

Interesting stat to top the weekend off with - despite trouncing North, they actually worked harder to cover ground than any other club this round. In terms of total repeat sprinting efforts, we finished with 42, they finished with 37. The next highest this round was Geelong with 32. They also covered more ground in total than any other club this weekend, and kept up with us - 310kms total. Next best was West Coast with 303.

North didn't physically give up, they tried EXTREMELY hard, we just made them completely submit with our effort and running. So if you watched that game and you were nervous early, just know that North came with pride and to play - we just bulldozed them.
Thanks Kermit, that's interesting. Suggests you are are right, our effort ran them off their feet. Unlike many posters I didn't think North played that badly, especially in the first half, I think we were just so good - in the wet, too. The space at the G should suit our run and those figures you posted suggested we have a lot of it, hopefully more than the opposition.
Go Hawks.

I take your point.

My own opinion: I was at the ground and despite being soaked, I do reckon there were 10-12 players who played a better game, including blokes who got nearly 100 fantasy points less than Simpkin.

Don’t get me wrong - he’s a really good player in a poor side.

Anyway - on with the show. Tickets go on sale Wednesday 10am! GO HAWKS.
Simpkin can cuddle his rating points while he watches the Hawks play finals.

Thanks Kermit, that's interesting. Suggests you are are right, our effort ran them off their feet. Unlike many posters I didn't think North played that badly, especially in the first half, I think we were just so good - in the wet, too. The space at the G should suit our run and those figures you posted suggested we have a lot of it, hopefully more than the opposition.
Go Hawks.
York Park is bigger than the MCG. (10 m longer and only 1 m narrower) Interestingly, Mars stadium (Ballarat) is identical in dimensions to York Park, but we seem to have no problem against the Bulldogs there.

Go Hawks.
I agree, I thought north were good through the first half. They were moving the ball quite well through the middle and chopping us off regularly, they just couldn't nail that last disposal I50 and we were defending them well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

York Park is bigger than the MCG. (10 m longer and only 1 m narrower) Interestingly, Mars stadium (Ballarat) is identical in dimensions to York Park, but we seem to have no problem against the Bulldogs there.
I was shocked at how congested the GWS and Bulldogs game was and how little open running they got. Either both sides were elite defensively, or just didn't run enough offensively to create space. It was just long down the line to contests nearly all game from what I saw.

I know the wind meant it was hard to pin point a long pass but they just didn't seem to break free much. And they also kept going really defensive to the far wing because if they turn it over it's harder to score from that side due to wind.

All our MCG and Tasmania games we've been able to get plenty of open space.

Looking at our highlights you often see the likes of Finn, Weddle, Impey and Morrison in the frame. They all aren't getting part of the score involvement but they are leaving their opponents in the dust and creating headaches for the opposition defense.

Not all one way running either. They all work so hard to get back to defend.

I was shocked at how congested the GWS and Bulldogs game was and how little open running they got. Either both sides were elite defensively, or just didn't run enough offensively to create space. It was just long down the line to contests nearly all game from what I saw.

I know the wind meant it was hard to pin point a long pass but they just didn't seem to break free much. And they also kept going really defensive to the far wing because if they turn it over it's harder to score from that side due to wind.

All our MCG and Tasmania games we've been able to get plenty of open space.
Conditions often shrink the ground. Wind takes one wing out of play and defenders lining up against the wind can push further forward knowing that a clearing kick will struggle to get out the back.

Titus goes bang:
"Bombers fans have every right to be furious with their team. They’ve had decades of being told things are going to be different, only for the same outcome again and again.

Be patient they are told, then they watch the old enemy, Hawthorn, shoot past them like a Ferrari overtaking a tricycle."

he s a 4 time flag hawk coach ...we need to be tempered and calm ...kid gloves

You can do what you like. I will happily treat him with the derision he deserves. No one man is bigger than this club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24: Hawks cull the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back