Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved will Phillips in his draft year. But geez! He looks way off the level. I am completely turned off short pure inside mids in the top 10. They too often don't translate!

Got to give the guy a break he has spent two years out of AFLfooty since being drafted. First year injury, second year illness. I really hope he makes it in the AFL.

Their was a bit on fox footy in q1 or q2 when we got a run on and a good goal and clarko was slunk into the seat head down and Mitch smiling, not much in it but they way they shot it was funny.

You can tell he really wanted the win

I can see why his doing the boundary stuff and feels a bit like the soccer style managers but looks quite funny some of the times.

In his early years at Hawthorn Clarko coached from the boundarys at times.

Once Hodge and Mitchell become like on field coaches he stayed in the box more.

Greene comes out before Wingard IMO. Breust has been struggling these last two weeks too, especially today.
Greene is almost the most important player in the forward line currently. He is the one that can compete aerially

Thought it was a bit of a weird thing for him to be out on the boundary all game. A bit of “look at me” time for the membership and sponsors maybe?

He never did that at the Hawks. Always stayed within the confines of the bench.
Really? I thought in Clarkos early years he was down on the bench a bit. Maybe my memory is off point this time.

Greene is almost the most important player in the forward line currently. He is the one that can compete aerially

He's been handy, but once Lewis comes back I suspect our best forward unit will include Lewis, Wingard, Brockman and Breust as the dedicated forwards near goals.

Anyone who watched the game can tell me why the back line played better today?

Was it personnel? Scrim in, Blank Out.

Hardwick stay down there the whole game?

More support up the field?

I thought it was a team effort led by the pressure up field! They had a sense of urgency to fill holes and close down.

Far more settled with Scrimshaw by foot down back, Jiath and Hardwork both had brillant games and Sicily always solid.

The only negative Sic and Frost still a bit lose at times / vulnerable in the air. DGB could slot in for Bramble and I like the mix moving forward.

Some blokes have it and Brockman does, so much talent. Hey Damo, we are tanking and just beat your mob you flog. I’ll never stop barracking for this team! Love this win to stick it up a few people. Stand by this team, tough times no doubt early but it won’t be long before we are back where we belong. Stick fat
Hawks!

Lol does Greene have to kick 10 before people will start paying him some dues? He has been our best forward over the first 3 games and I think Mitch Lewis coming back in will only help him. I actually think he has been too unselfish and passed off the ball multiple times when I’d rather him Just take a shot

his been very solid and definatly the most consistent so far. but will need to continue to get 3-4 shots on goal every week if he is not laying tackles, or a spot up target up the ground.

Got to give the guy a break he has spent two years out of AFLfooty since being drafted. First year injury, second year illness. I really hope he makes it in the AFL.
This. Don’t know if he will make it or not. But he’s certainly had a rough time of it trying to get on the field.

Thought it was a bit of a weird thing for him to be out on the boundary all game. A bit of “look at me” time for the membership and sponsors maybe?

I think they got Ratten in to coach from the box and Clarko has been on the boundary all 3 games so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol does Greene have to kick 10 before people will start paying him some dues? He has been our best forward over the first 3 games and I think Mitch Lewis coming back in will only help him. I actually think he has been too unselfish and passed off the ball multiple times when I’d rather him Just take a shot
I agree with this, I reckon Greene is definitely an AFL player if he gets support. He’s not a Jack Gunston but could easily be a 30-35 goal forward as maybe a 3rd target.
He’s been our best forward this year, should have 8-10 goals next to his name, has a bloody crack
Love him

his been very solid and definatly the most consistent so far. but will need to continue to get 3-4 shots on goal every week if he is not laying tackles, or a spot up target up the ground.
He had 8 score involvements from 10 touches today. He’s a smart forward who generally creates a lot of opportunities

Anyone who watched the game can tell me why the back line played better today?

Was it personnel? Scrim in, Blank Out.

Hardwick stay down there the whole game?

More support up the field?
Defensively we had a lot more time to set up behind the ball. By not playing on or taking many risks with the ball we very much limited any chance of our defenders to get exposed.

Going to be much tougher tasks than north this year. Going to be all about backing it up each week.

I think they got Ratten in to coach from the box and Clarko has been on the boundary all 3 games so far.
Yes, but Clarko would always stand in the back row of the dugout.

The more I think about it, the more I think this new role for Clarkson allows him to feed that ego more than he ever did at the Hawks.

Morrison, Scrimshaw and Brockman were good ins, injecting poise and class.

Not sold on Bramble and I’d like to see Lynch put pressure on Reeves or Meek.

Would love DGB out there developing with the core group.

Insert Lewis feasting on delivery from Mackenzie/Day/Newcombe and watch the Harley Reid pick evaporate from our grasp.

Thought the same thing last week with the carry on on the boundary.

But it is smart business for the Roos to have that spotlight on their prized asset whilst the wheels are still attached.

A younger Clarko coaching on the boundary for the Hawks was never a commercial display.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back