Preview Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30th March, 4:20PM AEDT *HASTIE DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 65 83.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't give a rats, as long as he doesn't play this week.

Just more AFL fabricated drama to keep talkback noisy for another week.
Discussion about tribunal decisions and umpiring decisions is why I stopped listening to talkback. Stuff like that is much easier for everyone to analyse than the actual game, which is actually hard work.

I made the mistake of watching the Sunday Footy Show yesterday and Nathan Brown was doing an excellent analysis of instances in the final term where Adelaide players had failed to hold their Geelong opponents accountable - he was pointing out the kind of things I miss when there are 10 or 15 players on the screen. I was really getting into it when all of a sudden the rest of the panel started going "are you going to show the whole game?" "we get the point" "wind it up". I was flabberagsted. These "experts" actually lost their mind when someone spent 25 seconds (seriously it was about that long!) analysing a footy game.

Arie to make his debut. Make it happen Saints.... imagine him and NAS linking up along the wing.

I'm getting more and more excited every week.
Very happy for Arnie or Hugo to come in, albeit in different roles. Despite the lack of possies, Garcia plays heavily inside, looks excellent at stoppage even if it means stopping the opponent or 300 tackles. And he’s shown from last year that he loves a goal.

If the pies post weekend injury report is clean and McCrae is 100% fit.

How can you say it’s anything but low contact?

Medium contact would have resulted in a concussion, no?

AFL tribunal no longer accepts victim statements or evidence, they act upon their own independent scope re the potential for King to decapitate Macrae. MRO accept statements hence the 1 week given originally for us to then contest since MC's opinion should be discounted as "this man is an idiot with an obvious agenda" given he is in fact, a dire tool.

Based on what he's done in the last few drafts (assuming this was Toce's doing), you'd have to have a lot go right for the appointment to be an upgrade.
Nas was a huge win. Wilkie too.

But I find it hard to give credit for Owens and Windy - I give credit to the coaches who developed them. We were always taking them.

Pou wasn’t a choice. He was the best available in a draft where the top 10 had a clear distance between them and the rest of the draft. We took the player left at the end.

No other player had debuted that he has drafted in those 2 years.

Caminiti was a SOS pick.

From what I hear SOS also had a massive role in the draft that just occurred aswell.

I think he did a good job. Better than predecessors. But not an amazing job that I would turn my nose up at Dalrymple

But I find it hard to give credit for Owens and Windy - I give credit to the coaches who developed them. We were always taking them.

Pou wasn’t a choice. He was the best available in a draft where the top 10 had a clear distance between them and the rest of the draft. We took the player left at the end.

Caminiti was a SOS pick.

From what I hear SOS also had a massive role in the draft that just occurred aswell.

I think he did a good job. Better than predecessors. But not an amazing job that I would turn my nose up at Dalrymple
Fair point on Caminiti and Philipou.

But I'd be interested in knowing who was responsible for NWM, Sharman and Wilkie. All three of those were against the grain and genuinely great recruiting. The jury is still very much out on many of his other picks, so his track record could still improve significantly in coming years.

Toce was unlucky that we had an opportunity to upgrade. But the talk of him hitting the drafts out of the park is a myth, influenced largely I believe by 15 years of the worst recruiting in AFL history.
If you’ve got top 20 picks you should nail it, that’s the easy part. As Stavropol said Windy and Pou were ours regardless, Nas and Pou were best available and there’s still a bunch of kids with question marks on them. Credit must go to the Wilkie selection and to a lesser extent Sharman.
As a club I’m glad we’re not sitting on our hands as has been the case throughout our history, just get the best people available into the job, which is exactly what we have done in this situation.

We upgraded

Thats quite subjective when Dalrymple hasnt been in charge of recruiting since he left the Bulldogs and Toce`s track record since being the head man was really good. I just dont see how we considered Dalrymple an upgrade - the guy comes across as 'dull as a box of hammers'. I think it might have been more of a power struggle where SOS or Gubby couldnt work with him. Either way I guess its spilt milk and as we have done for 150 years we just suck it up!

Thats quite subjective when Dalrymple hasnt been in charge of recruiting since he left the Bulldogs and Toce`s track record since being the head man was really good. I just dont see how we considered Dalrymple an upgrade - the guy comes across as 'dull as a box of hammers'. I think it might have been more of a power struggle where SOS or Gubby couldnt work with him. Either way I guess its spilt milk and as we have done for 150 years we just suck it up!
Dalrymple is widely touted as the best or one of the top 3 best recruiters in the country.

It’s like letting Steele go but getting Bont.

The last 13 years he has spent at the Dogs and the swans.

The dogs won a flag with him there.
The swans played off in a big one whilst he was there.

He is very very good.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the bet they attack Higgins head. Every week he seems to cop at least one decent whack to the cruet. That scar is like a target 🎯 to the opposition.
You have to wonder sometimes whether his head is a "punching" bag.

You obviously think that no would consciously aim for his head but the game is one of "split seconds"

I absolutely cringe everytime he cops a whack to the head.

What’s the bet they attack Higgins head. Every week he seems to cop at least one decent whack to the cruet. That scar is like a target 🎯 to the opposition.
I like how King bumping at a fair dinkum sloth pace can cause damage, but spud Frampton running full pelt at Higgins with no intent other than taking him out = perfectly fine.

Caminiti was a SOS pick.

Fair points. Find it amusing that Toce is the toast of recruiting on here but Gallagher and SoS are always getting questioned.

Is Toce being credited for every single draft selection that is coming good like none of the rest of the recruiting department had anything to do with it?

As I recall we recruited Henry for a future 2nd rounder, draft night we got that second rounder back from GWS for a place swap and still landed Wilson effectively getting Henry for nothing. I suppose Toce is credited for that as well?

Toce looks like a very good scout. Hope he gets another gig. But it is the whole recruiting department that makes the choice not one bloke. Also Ross likes his own people at the club and Dalrymple is also no slouch at scouting. Lyons selections seem to have gone OK so far re personnel so will back him on this one as well.

Okay, so some interesting stats. The injectors game looks to be tracking well this year for the most part. However, they rank 3rd last for interceptions (only Eagles and Norf behind) and dead last for one percenters. We are roughly mid table for both.

For a team talking a lot about having a hard edge at the moment, seems like they’re struggling to compete when it’s up for grabs and wonder how they might struggle without 2M Peter?

Okay, so some interesting stats. The injectors game looks to be tracking well this year for the most part. However, they rank 3rd last for interceptions (only Eagles and Norf behind) and dead last for one percenters. We are roughly mid table for both.

For a team talking a lot about having a hard edge at the moment, seems like they’re struggling to compete when it’s up for grabs and wonder how they might struggle without 2M Peter?
And they leak like a sieve defensively. Saints by 12 goals.

Just a question. How would anyone know the input of Toce compared to the rest of the recruiting department?
Why is Toce being credited with everything that has gone right? What about Heath, Alison, Hotton, Van Es, Keeler, Adams and the other failures he was there.

Is that all Gallaghers fault? These articles are rubbish.

Surprised Phillipou’s goal got nominated for Goal of the Week, think Jordon from Sydney will feel hard done by.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just a question. How would anyone know the input of Toce compared to the rest of the recruiting department?
Why is Toce being credited with everything that has gone right? What about Heath, Alison, Hotton, Van Es, Keeler, Adams and the other failures he was there.

Is that all Gallaghers fault? These articles are rubbish.
Once you start playing that game then you can do the same with Darlrymple. Fact is, no one on the outside knows how these decisions are made and who they can be attributed to, but inferences can be drawn and it is obviously somewhat eyebrow-raising to sack the head recruiter when recruiting was going so well. I'd say time will tell how it plays out, but it actually probably won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back