Toast Round 3 = Collingwood 81-37 St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Not our best second half but much to like overall:

* The Pressure

* Cohesion of our backs

* Midget forwards improving

* Grundy (a Beast)

* Howe’s mark (He is the Aerial GOAT)

* Sidey's gulag melon (The Lost Boys’ blondes are confusing me)

* Adams’ toughness

* Cox and Treloar will improve the team

* Jakey Carlisle snorting the goal square (maybe that didn’t happen)

* Another Saints’ loss against us

PS Johnno Marsh looks like he found some good protein powder

Last edited:

Not overly concerned about the second half.

It's clear our strategy is to jump out of the blocks as we have done in the first three matches of the season.

With 16 minute quarters in place, having a strong quarter/half will mean winning games around 80% of the time.

Good to get the win but dry weather football with 3 goals kicked in the 2nd half. It really is hard to watch.

Just a random thought . .
16 minute quarters and a foreshortened season are unusual parameters for players and coaching staff alike.
This season could well be last man standing as injuries are sure to bite with upset preparations and no chance to work in from the VFL.
Easing off for a cruising win is not the worst strategy in the world.

A real positive about our fast starts is that the shortened quarters puts more pressure on teams to stage a comeback.

Hopefully we can do the same to GWS next week. This GWS outfit doesn’t have the cajones to play well when they’re behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were sensational in the first half. Tackling pressure, ball use, run through the middle and a defensive unit par excellence. Then we stopped. We failed to keep running and stopped taking risks. Still, we stopped them kicking goals as well. Won't complain though, even if my gut tells me we still can't win a flag without a power forward. Let's hope one stands up.

Plenty to like. Don’t be too frustrated by the lack of scoring after half time. We’re smothering teams on defence, we still haven’t conceded over 40 points in a game yet (yes, I know two of the three games have been reduced length), but that doesn’t change the fact.

- Our back 6 is as settled as it’s ever been
- We got first use of the ball through Brodie and have class all around the middle
- The forward line still needs to tweaking but they had enough opportunity today. We had quite a few butchered entries that couldn’t easily resulted in more score had we been a bit cleaner.

Great day all round, plenty to learn and plenty to enjoy. Add to that the fact that my mate is a Saints supporter, and he’s been carrying on about Brad Hill and Max King all week lol. Nice to put him back in his box :)

Cue very much in the rack after half time, but the damage had been done.

Thought Grundy was poor early, but made smart changes and ultimately had another good game. For example after being repeatedly beaten by Ryder in the centre Grundy adjusted by running around the circle to approach the centre bounce contest to Ryder's side instead of front on. It showed just how good Grundy's become.

Stephenson, Moore and Hoskin-Elliott were good when it mattered (the first half), while Tyler Brown was the opposite. In the first half Stephenson showed just how much we've missed his forward presence.

Besides his kicking on goal Elliott was back to some form too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 3 = Collingwood 81-37 St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back