Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

There doesn't appear to be any 'luck' with our play atm.. calm, measured success that is built upon good players, good planning and excellent structures..

This is the part that stands out most. Some of our other successful starts have had a Helter Skelter feel to them, this football feels sustainable.

We were terrific today, nearly every single member on the ground I can think of a passage of play or more where they did something great. Jackson Merrett the shining light - as a young kid plays his best game so far for his career. But there was about 12 players who were great today.

Also I'm calling it. Fletcher has gone up a gear since last year. He did say that chasing Ambrose around all pre-season had left him feeling fitter than he had for a while.

Our backline is very solid. They'll keep teams to small scores all year. Hooker and Hurley are a great duo to tie down the big beasts in the game.

Hocking is a machine in his tagging role.

Chappy is so smart. I think I've said it after all 3 games now.

Goddard, Merrett, Carlisle, Winders all very good also.

Zaharakis loves a fumble.

Melksham looks like he belongs in the team. The one thing he could get out of his game is handballing to contests. He does it a lot, and always has. Minor thing though.

look, I'm just rather chuffed

We are definitely harder to play against. The team is strong in tight, contested situations, and they are quick to peel back when the opposition have the ball. The team is excelling at making the opposition play slow when they have the ball.

I was happy that my prediction of a smaller,mobile forward line worked beautifully. Think this may be the way of the future which means that one or two talls will miss out on the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember drafting Merrett and the commentary around the Cats being quite keen on him. I thought that was a good sign. Then he played his first few games and I really liked his attack on the ball and smarts to use it on the attack.
He has done nothing since to discourage these thoughts. Massive fan of the kid.

We played the ball and the man hard tonight. And we ran the game out. A lot of times Carlton tried to get going and in the past we would let 5-6 through. This year, its looking rare for a team to put more than 2 in a row against us.

Good signs.

20 votes for Bomber tonight in the MVP.
Coaching us so well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back