Game Day Round 4, 2023 : West Coast Eagles v Melbourne Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2DA0050E-F43C-4796-88F9-ABAB9FB13049.jpeg
Recent renovations at Mineral Resources Park

026F3DD9-DCEA-4561-AD1B-BECC70F19677.jpeg

After what had been a relatively injury free run this season up until a week ago, the date on our injury free credit card suddenly expired. Six game day injuries were followed up by two training mishaps that left the match committee scrambling for answers

The good news, unlike last year, is we do have a number of players performing well in the WAFL who get their chance after being a touch on the unlucky side to have missed selection previously

The bad news is we take a vastly less experienced team into a contest against a Melbourne team that’s humming along very nicely with arguably the competition’s most dangerous midfield

A Parallel Universe

There’s something to ponder though when you look at the names who’ll be sitting in the stands this Sunday:

Naitanui
Shuey
McGovern
Cripps

There has been plenty of discussion that the Eagles have too many old players and that we should have cut deeper at the end of 2022 and/or shouldn’t be extending contracts at the end of this year. That’s half of the 8 players who already are, or turn, 30 this year - Hurn, Gaff, Darling and Yeo (in for his first game) are the others who are in the side

So we get a good look at what our side would effectively be like had those cuts been made. And it’ll be an extended look because aside from perhaps Shuey, those players are out for months not weeks

Of the other players unavailable only Ryan and Sheed would be considered automatic selections, and on current form Sheed had seen many wanting him dropped

Witherden is fringe, as is Jamieson, HEdwards would have only played to cover Gov, and Chesser was in the side for development moreso than form

The other two unavailables, J Williams and Baker, are walking definitions of development players

The team we’ve named is pretty close to a best 22 sans some of our oldies

C5E5756E-3CE4-437A-8108-EF0A9C5E17E3.jpeg

It remains to be seen who survives the cut from the extended bench but I feel O’Neill, Edwards and Foley will miss out

There is also the fear that Williams, who has reportedly pulled up very sore from the derby, won’t come up meaning one of that trio would like be used as the sub

What can we expect

Backline

Main issue is a lack of height with Barrass the only recognised KPD. You’d think Rotham plays to help Hurn take on the Melbourne marking targets. Fortunately, Melbourne don’t have a big, strong forward line with second gamer Van Rooyen spearheading their attack in the absence of Brown and Gawn. McDonald probably plays in their place

Pickett returns from a too short suspension and he along with the Hitler youth lookalike (Fritsch) will pose plenty of problems. We don’t have great matchups for either

Melbourne have averaged 17 goals from their 3 games. We’ll be doing well to hold them to that, especially if their mids get on top

Forwardline

We retain our two talls, Allen and Darling, but our small forwards depth is being tested with Cripps and Ryan both out

May and Lever are one of the best defensive combinations going round so it’s hard to imagine Darling and Allen doing better than the combined 6 they kicked against Freo. In fact, I’d take 6 in a heartbeat if it was offered

Means the likes of SPS, Petch and the impressive but inexperienced Long are going to have to have big games. I won’t be surprised to see Jones sent forward to help out

Midfield

Grundy feeding Oliver, Petracca and Viney with the outside run of Langdon and Hunter is the making of a horror movie

Even if Williams plays we can expect a touch up in the ruck. If he doesn’t then Rotham, yes Rotham, becomes our first ruck (there’s a word that rhymes with that which sums up my thoughts)

Kelly, Gaff and the underdone Yeo will be the backbone of our midfield.

We then get a look at our future with the likes of Ginbey, Hough, Culley and Hewett (pending final selections) all likely to spend time through the middle. The prospect of Ginbey running with Oliver is an exciting one - regardless of how it probably ends it’ll be a great learning experience for our young star

Clark and West will provide some mature bodied assistance and I’m actually looking forward to seeing what Clark can do after a great preseason

Conclusion

It’s a huge challenge going into this match against an inform side on the back of 7 changes that will massively reduce our average age and experience

Expecting a win is folly

But we should anticipate the sort of fight we showed in the derby, in particular after half time.

I hope that we persist with the more attacking game plan we’ve been trying to implement with some success so far (R1 excluded) and don’t go back into our shells

So effort, a good look at some of our youngsters and no ****ing injuries.

We’ll push them early but eventually get overwhelmed

Dees by 45

Go Eagles, do us proud

Last edited:
Yes the outs are horrendous but pretty good ins.

Very happy to see what Hough can do with another pre-season under his belt. Be good to see what Clark can do this week. Yeo is my favourite player but I just want him to make it through the game unscathed.

Hoping to keep touch through the game and keep the loss under 6 goals.

Another rising star nom would be good as well.

Do we still have sgio as a health care insurance for a sponsor.
I just totally got lost in acronyms!

F6F25743-F829-46B3-9BA3-C47BB950DDAA.jpeg

Culley, Hewett, SPS and in a surprise, to me at least, L Edwards make the final 22

Would be one of the smallest lineups we’ve selected with only Williams, Barrass, Allen and Darling being considered genuine talls/KPPs. And Darling is shorter than a lot of mids these days

Going at Melbourne with run is a brave strategy as it’s attacking their strength but I like it

Leaves one of Rotham, O’Neill, Petruccelle and Foley to be the sub

Williams has apparently passed a fitness test on his knee this morning (see below) so it’ll be interesting to see if Rotham plays WAFL tomorrow - unlikely imo

View attachment 1652766

Culley, Hewett, SPS and in a surprise, to me at least, L Edwards make the final 22

Would be one of the smallest lineups we’ve selected with only Williams, Barrass, Allen and Darling being considered genuine talls/KPPs. And Darling is shorter than a lot of mids these days

Going at Melbourne with run is a brave strategy as it’s attacking their strength but I like it

Leaves one of Rotham, O’Neill, Petruccelle and Foley to be the sub

Williams has apparently passed a fitness test on his knee this morning (see below) so it’ll be interesting to see if Rotham plays WAFL tomorrow - unlikely imo

The outs will kill us but some of the ins are our future. Exciting times

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Look we won on April 9 last year, only remembering that since it was on my birthday and the last win I went to despite going to Optus twice, every other VIC Game and GWS in Sydney. Have flown over earlier this morning for Sunday, let’s just have a solid red hot crack. It ain’t over till it’s over

Yes the outs are horrendous but pretty good ins.

Very happy to see what Hough can do with another pre-season under his belt. Be good to see what Clark can do this week. Yeo is my favourite player but I just want him to make it through the game unscathed.

Hoping to keep touch through the game and keep the loss under 6 goals.

Another rising star nom would be good as well.
Amen to this

This will be a close game for the most part imo, like last week we come frustratingly close five minutes into the last quarter before they pile on the goals. Started the week feeling we'll be thumped but now reckon the kids (and Yeo) will make a real game of it.

Is this really you EP2018?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m actually excited to see what our midfield looks like without sheed at the CBA.

He’s been standing flat footed watching opposition midfielders run it out of there for the past two weeks throwing the odds arm out for a half arsed tackled every now and then. That was going to be a disaster against petracca and Oliver.

The prospect of yeo, Ginbey and Culley playing a defensive midfield setup making them earn every ball is something I’d love to see. Turn it into a scrag if they need to.

Fighting fire with fire. Win some contested footy and see how we go.

Me likey

Hopefully we can stay with them for a long time.

No shame in falling short, Melb are flag favs I reckon so to push them would be great.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Danger Game.

WCE by 6 points

Culley to miss next two weeks with a peoples elbow to Oliver

the rock wwe GIF

Worth it

Petruccelle and O’Neill playing for the Beagles

Expect then that Rotham will be the emergency and Foley the emergency emergency

Petruccelle and O’Neill playing for the Beagles

Expect then that Rotham will be the emergency and Foley the emergency emergency
Probably the best possible sub for tomorrow. Versatility

Status