Round 4 Team (Carlton) - In: Lonergan, Hooker, Dell'Olio; Out: Riemers, Dyson, Carlisle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the dust has settled from the GC game, and Bendigo have played.

Out: Carlisle (calf), Reimers
In: Hooker, Davis
(if Dempsey is out, then bring in Lee)

ESSENDON
B: Courtenay Dempsey, Dustin Fletcher, Cale Hooker
HB: Kyle Hardingham, Tayte Pears, Dyson Heppell
C: Michael Hibberd, Jobe Watson, Brent Stanton
HF: Stewart Crameri, Michael Hurley, Alwyn Davey
F: David Zaharakis, Patrick Ryder, Leroy Jetta
Foll: Tom Bellchambers, Heath Hocking, Luke Davis
I/C: Ricky Dyson, Angus Monfries, Ben Howlett
S: Jake Melksham

Emg: Henry Slattery, Kyle Reimers

Re: Changes vs Carlton

Now that the dust has settled from the GC game, and Bendigo have played.

Out: Carlisle (calf), Reimers
In: Hooker, Davis
(if Dempsey is out, then bring in Lee)

ESSENDON
B: Courtenay Dempsey, Dustin Fletcher, Cale Hooker
HB: Kyle Hardingham, Tayte Pears, Dyson Heppell
C: Michael Hibberd, Jobe Watson, Brent Stanton
HF: Stewart Crameri, Michael Hurley, Alwyn Davey
F: David Zaharakis, Patrick Ryder, Leroy Jetta
Foll: Tom Bellchambers, Heath Hocking, Luke Davis
I/C: Ricky Dyson, Angus Monfries, Ben Howlett
S: Jake Melksham

Emg: Henry Slattery, Kyle Reimers

Sam Lonergan? :cool:

Lonergan, Howlett, Watson and Hocking cannot play in the same midfield at once.
Yep they can't, but not for the reason you think. Simply, of those 4, assuming Hocking is tagging, Watson is the only ball winner. Lonergan unleashes the odd clearance, most of the time so rushed it's debatable whether it's even any good for us, but he's not really a big enough ball winner, and neither is Howlett, and neither is zaka etc. and we sorta need to win the ball to beat carlton.

Out: Carlisle (inj), Reimers (omit), Davey(omit), Dempsey (inj)
In: McVeigh, Hooker, Lonergan, Davis

If Dempsey gets up then Lonergan misses out. Give Davis a huge job on Judd.

Yep they can't, but not for the reason you think. Simply, of those 4, assuming Hocking is tagging, Watson is the only ball winner. Lonergan unleashes the odd clearance, most of the time so rushed it's debatable whether it's even any good for us, but he's not really a big enough ball winner, and neither is Howlett, and neither is zaka etc. and we sorta need to win the ball to beat carlton.

and so just to expand, I'd probably rather give Lee a shot if I have to play one of Lonergan or Lee, because Lee's obviously known for his ball winning abilities (averaging something like 30 a game last season, plus his big game today). Of course there's the rather important question of whether he can take it to the AFL, but hey I'll take the risk

Coaches obviously rate him, so when fit he is in the best 22
Well no they don't. He was in Bendigofor the first game of season + final NAB cup where we sent out the best 22. The Hocking injury gave him a chance for a game, where he didn't do much. They may well decide with NLM out they need another big body to shift into the midfield at times (I saw Monfries doing that at times ftr) or with Melksham maybe going out Lonergan may replace him, but the coaches haven't given any indication they consider him best 22 imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hooker will come in, pretty sure of that one. And these guys will be in the mix for either Carlton or Collingwood:

Lee, Davis, Lonergan, Colyer, NLM

But if the first three will make the Carlton game I'm not sure.

Only Davey, Reimers, Dyson & Melksham would be a chance at getting dropped you would think. With an outside chance Dempsey might not make it in time.

I'd like to see Davis come in for Reimers - Play a tagging role on one of Carlton elites (for at least some part of the game). Good for learning and development. Reimers to also continue his development in Bendigo and learn how to earn his own ball.

Carlisle for Hooker. An obvious replacement.

Admittedly I did forget Lonergan. He will probably get back in. Especially if Dempsey doesn't come up.

The only definite change I'd make at this stage would be Hooker for Carlisle.

I'd like to wait for a full injury report before making any more changes.

Think we should give Reimers another game. It is always hard to come straight from Bendigo to make an impact. Just look at Carlisle's games... looked awesome for Bendigo but struggled for Essendon.

I'm assuming Dempsey and Pears aren't available, so...

Out: Dempsey (inj), Pears (inj)
In: Lonergan, Hooker

FB: Hardingham Fletcher Hibberd
HB: Heppell Hooker Dyson
C: Stanton Watson Zaharakis
HF: Jetta Crameri Monfries
FF: Davey Hurley Carlisle
R: Ryder Hocking Howlett
Int: Reimers Bellchambers Melksham Lonergan (s)

Carlisle would have a bigger ?mark over his head than Pears, wouldn't he???

And unless I'm missing something, both Lee, Dell'Olio (slick) and even Baguley for that matter can't get a game, because they arn't upgraded rookies

Losing Colyer before Round 1 was a huge loss. We've look really slow. We don't have players who could break open the game since the departure of Lovett.

Dempsey was giving us something. But clearly if it wasn't for Davey's pressure acts and couple of break away goals he set up, we would have lost that game. Our lack of good small forward has stood out in the first three rounds.

Remiers is a man with too many restrictions put on him. I want Reimers wearing his colour boots and released from all the burden. Let him play instinctive football.

I would give Lee a chance this week. He has to be rewarded for his great performances.

TRB have been in charge for almost two years, and it looks like we haven't improved on our kicking skills at all. Every other side around us I've seen play this year look like have improved so much, including Richmond. We appear to miss easy targets. And our inside 50 kicks are all just kick and hope hospital kicks. I wonder why they haven't been hot on that.

Remiers is a man with too many restrictions put on him. I want Reimers wearing his colour boots and released from all the burden. Let him play instinctive football.

I would give Lee a chance this week. He has to be rewarded for his great performances.
Agree totally. Isn't it ironic that even our Captain has flarey boots on, while Kyle wears white:rolleyes:

And on Lee, refer to my post above

You tend to look slow when you fumble and don't hit targets.

We could look spectacularly good if we arrest this part of our game.

Of note is a comment made by Sir James this morning that they are in heavy block - may be we'll see the best of our team come round 6 onwards and after the bye? We can only hope so.

Carlisle would have a bigger ?mark over his head than Pears, wouldn't he???

And unless I'm missing something, both Lee, Dell'Olio (slick) and even Baguley for that matter can't get a game, because they arn't upgraded rookies

I'm no expert on the rules, but didn't we strategically place Gumby and Pris on the LTI, so that we could upgrade a couple of players in the first 4-6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back