Round 4 Team (Carlton) - In: Lonergan, Hooker, Dell'Olio; Out: Riemers, Dyson, Carlisle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Changes vs Carlton

Lonergan, Howlett, Watson and Hocking cannot play in the same midfield at once.

As someone already pointed out we need to get our hands on the ball and this represents out best chance (with the injuries we have).

I don't like it but it can work if Reimers, Jetta and Davey all end up in the side (or there is extreme pace in the forwardline that can be rotated into the midfield).

We can get the pace through the middle from the flanks - we are going to have to because there is no alternative. We cannot go into a game with Melksham in the side as a "midfielder" given that he cannot move at the moment.

Lee, Davis and Hooker were all rested from the last quarter for Bendigo today, so I reckon they will be in the mix.

So throw in Lonergan and McVeigh and that gives all the possibles ins in my opinion.

That said I think we should make minimal changes.

Out: Dempsey, Carlisle
In: Lonergan, Hooker

I would like to see a new face such as Davis, but i'll let the Match Committee decide when they think they are ready.

Remiers is a man with too many restrictions put on him. I want Reimers wearing his colour boots and released from all the burden. Let him play instinctive football.

I agree as well but I do approve of how he has been handled by the coaching staff.
Im of the impression that the since Hird took over as coach there has been an emphasis put on Reimers to mature as person more so than a player. Ie. his flare and fanfare has been minimised to allow himself to gauge what is acceptable in terms of cocky-ness and fanfare and what's not.
I think its now time for him to be 'set free' and be left of his own devices to play with the flare he has but still maintain professionalism.

So, let him play and run riot in the forward line. He is the closest thing we have to members of the Carlton forward line.

Would hate to see Davis play this week, Blues are too quick for him. Would play him on Pendlebury, Anzac day though, better match up for him.

Melksham was pathetic not Riemers.

You have to give Kyle a bit of a go to get into the swing of things.
As a forward pocket, he was pathetic. I'm a fan, don't get me wrong, but I just felt like he didn't do himself any favours on the weekend. You can understand (to a certain extent) how some genuine top 7-8 players might go a bit easy against GCS when we thought we might win easy, but Reimers had every to prove and nothing to lose. He looked half hearted way too many times.

Destined to be traded by EFC, mark it down.

I'm no expert on the rules, but didn't we strategically place Gumby and Pris on the LTI, so that we could upgrade a couple of players in the first 4-6 weeks.

Debut one against Carlton and another against Collingwood. See what they've got and see how awesome it is to play for Essendon.

Well no they don't. He was in Bendigofor the first game of season + final NAB cup where we sent out the best 22. The Hocking injury gave him a chance for a game, where he didn't do much. They may well decide with NLM out they need another big body to shift into the midfield at times (I saw Monfries doing that at times ftr) or with Melksham maybe going out Lonergan may replace him, but the coaches haven't given any indication they consider him best 22 imo

Dont think that Lonergan is best 22 but missed round 1 because he was injured in the preseason - which set him back 2 or 3 weeks.

Hard to know who will play - some players may or may not be under an injury concern.

Fairly certain there will be 4 or 5 changes between the Carlton and Collingwood game.

Don't expect Fletcher to play against Carlton.

I'm no expert on the rules, but didn't we strategically place Gumby and Pris on the LTI, so that we could upgrade a couple of players in the first 4-6 weeks.

Then we need to upgrade this week, unless there has been a cut off point?????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a forward pocket, he was pathetic. I'm a fan, don't get me wrong, but I just felt like he didn't do himself any favours on the weekend. You can understand (to a certain extent) how some genuine top 7-8 players might go a bit easy against GCS when we thought we might win easy, but Reimers had every to prove and nothing to lose. He looked half hearted way too many times.

Destined to be traded by EFC, mark it down.

I don't think he is a forward pocket, needs to be a player further up the ground, attacking the goals through instinct, not relying on forward entry or crumbs

All I can say is, if we don't throw someone back behind the last line so that teams can't just kick over our heads in transition and run onto it, we'll be slaughtered next week. Evidence tendered: Elimination final last year.

Same thing seemed to happen to us last night. It's only when Fletch held back to stop that that we were able to stem their easy goals over the top. Where are the coaches?
Yeah that stood out in the Collingwood-Carlton game.
You actually need to defend the space behind their forward line, more than their forwards themselves. A lot of kicks over the top, and run onto it - almost like soccer counter-attacking, when the defenders are pushed right up... boot it into space & let the nippy short people go for it.

FWIW Lee, Hooker, and Davis all held back in the Bendigo-Casey game.
As well as [strike]McVeigh & [/strike]Dempsey, who I suspect will come up, and obviously Lonergan.
Could be a biiiig list of changes.

I like Davis, but I don't know who he'd go on against Carlton - possibly Gibbs?

On the 'press' - I posted this in the Ant thread which looks to have gone down quicker than you know what:

Wrapped to see others noticing it, with Carlton it stuck out especially compared to the high press of Mick's team now coached by Nafan.

Ant, at the ground did you notice a difference in our positioning in the last in relation to how far we didnt press up?

I ask as I went friday night and sat high up as usual (IMHO the only place you can really watch a modern game of AFL), and it is noticeable that Carlton did NOT press up as much as Collingwood did, in fact two of Henderson, sometimes Jamieson, Laidler, Yarran would stand half a kick, to a kick behind the first Collingwood player.

This meant that when they did butcher it, and they did a fair bit, Collingwood really struggled to work much as those sweeper types could cut off any over the top ball, or the collingwood forwards couldnt lead back into space.

On the flip, when Collingwood pressed and Carlton got that possession, Collingwood reminded me of us, just pushed too far up and their forwards had a birthday with a paddock to lead into, out of and could run. This plays right into their fast forwards' hands.

This has been driving me nuts with us, but I reckon I saw a change in the last. Unfortunately, watching the game on TV reveals not enough, but it was clear that the GC got their best score on the board when we were actually dominating play. But, we dominate (albiet without clearances), we push up, and they broke, got it over the top and scored goal after goal.

In the last though, it seemed from TV and I have reviewed and tried to see as best I could on TV, Fletcher seemed to be playing that kick behind the press if you like, and was able to influence multiple GC attacks.

That over the top to Matera or whoever else, suddenly became unstuck as we had Fletch to cut it off. Fletcher was also the direct result in a couple of rushed points, being able to influence being ahead of them.

They scored 1 goal in the last, when the 2nd and third quarters saw them score often, through our press to a basically vacant half of a ground.

We, and many other teams, have to realise that you cant press as much as in the past, as teams have it worked out and are simply scoring too often.

Carlton realise this, and I think apply a modified press, and have the leg speed in personnel to pull off 20 goal games of scrappy, non traditionally structured goals.

Promote Dell-olio & Lee, Davis also to debut, H.Slats in for one last crack on a decent small forward, & rest a few of the senior guys and set ourselves for Anzac day I reckon

IN: Lonergan, Hooker, Davis, Slattery, Dell-Olio, Lee
OUT: Watson, Stanton, Fletch, Hurley, Ryder, Jetta

Hardingham Hooker Hibberd
Heppell Pears Dempsey
Melksham Lonergan Davis
Monfries Carlisle Reimers
Davey Crameri Zaka

T.Bell Hocking Howlett

Dyson Slattery Dell-Olio
Lee

Promote Dell-olio & Lee, Davis also to debut, H.Slats in for one last crack on a decent small forward, & rest a few of the senior guys and set ourselves for Anzac day I reckon

IN: Lonergan, Hooker, Davis, Slattery, Dell-Olio, Lee
OUT: Watson, Stanton, Fletch, Hurley, Ryder, Jetta

Hardingham Hooker Hibberd
Heppell Pears Dempsey
Melksham Lonergan Davis
Monfries Carlisle Reimers
Davey Crameri Zaka

T.Bell Hocking Howlett

Dyson Slattery Dell-Olio
Lee

There is 0% chance of happening. We'll lose by 150 with those outs.

Luke Davis MUST come in to replace Dempsey.Davis 190cm 90kg and watch his game with Bendigo and was great....other possibles Lonergan,McVeigh and would love Dell'Olio elevated to senior list......:):thumbsu:

No way we win this week, and Anzac Day is looking gettable.
Whether we select on that basis and rest a few, i dont know.

But if it was any other week:
Out: Carlisle, Davey, Reimers, Dempsey (if injured)
In: Hooker, Dell'Olio, Lonergan, Slattery for Dempsey if need be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back