Preview Round 4 vs Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty, of the injuries you guys currently have, who would begin your best 22 that will prob miss? And who would they replace? Like do you guys actually consider Myers, Colyer, Lovett-Murray best 22?

If they're not, who is? In addition to Hooker, Hille, Winderlich, Dempsey, McVeigh, at that.

On 360 Bomber says that they've come up with a bit of a plan. It'd want to be a lot of a plan. I'm assuming that Hank and Davis will be coming into the side.

With Carazzo taking either Stanton or Watson, Hocking to Judd, maybe Howlett to Murphy, the importance of Zaharakis and Melksham is heightened this weekend. Wouldn't mind seeing Jetta with a bit more midfield time, maybe even Heppell. Melksham especially needs to be switched on. Monfries up the ground more?

I want to know about this 'special plan' Bomber has alluded to.

My guess is the plan will be one involving lots of stoppages. And conservative set ups from the stoppage - Must have 2 on the defensive side of each stoppage - Carlton's spread is fantastic so this must be stymied.

Gotta a feeling this could be a slow paced game.

Of course bomber is going to say that..everyone goes into a game with a plan based on their opponent.

I just wanna see more effort than last week, bit of desire!

This is disgusting. Are we Essendon supporters or ****ing Melbourne fans.

We are playing the scum of the earth in 5 days, and we will ****ing obliterate them.

[YOUTUBE]_Eex6seGHzo[/YOUTUBE]

They were certainties then too. **** them, and **** them again.

Love that intercept and big handpass from Ryder.

Of course bomber is going to say that..everyone goes into a game with a plan based on their opponent.

I just wanna see more effort than last week, bit of desire!

I think a few people have the wrong end of the stick regarding last week. Yeah, we could definitely have played better.

But I'd MUCH prefer to have played that game than smashed them by 20 goals. We got ahead of ourselves, gave them a sniff, and had to work our arses off for the win.

We learned a lot more doing it the hard way than we would have if we'd just smashed them. In contrast, Carlton might well get a bit ahead of themselves, and that's all it might take.

We will beat these ****s and we will do it well.

Just because a few of their spuds have 1 or 2 good games does not mean they are good players. A spud is a spud is a spud...

Hampson
Carrazzo
Armfield
Bower
Robinson
Henderson

These spuds are going to get torn a new one by us and they will get exposed.

We have them covered and we'll win by about 25 points.

Love that intercept and big handpass from Ryder.

Wow we look so quick in that footage. They are the quicker team now, just need to stop that run. Easier said than done with the injuries we have.

So pumped for Saturday. Absolutely ****ing hate this mob.

Nothing better then beating a cocky carlton. It'll be so sweet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont mean to intrude. My brother is a carlton supporter and im really hoping you guys cause an upset. he did mention something which may help you guys out. this will be carltons first day match since the preseason. so heres hoping they may be a little off.

Not sure how many tight, 4-quarter matches Carlton have won in recent times. I certainly don't consider them a mentally-strong team. The term 'flat-track bullies' has been used to describe them.

We have ground out some wins in the past three weeks, which potentially puts us in a good position to win this, if it was decided in the last quarter.

I just want to see some shepherds, blocks, hard tackles, smothers and chasing for four quarters. We need improved team defence and its not just all about positioning in a press or zone.

I can't think of a better time to play Carlton. It is SO GOOD to play them after they've thrashed Collingwood by 10 goals.

Collingwood are utterly disfunctional, Brisbane are just plain shit, and Richmond is their usual free hit. Played into form after a useless preseason, and now thinking they are the greatest team that ever played from one result.

Set up for massive fall.

I wonder whether you will be suggesting Collingwood is utterly dysfunctional when you have played them next week. Perhaps you will argue Essendon "played them back into form", which may be the truth. The point of this observation is that to make a top 4 side (which Collingwood is) utterly dysfunctional requires controlling that other side all over the field. Like we did to you the last time our two teams played.

Now it is true that your coaching staff have decided after the EF that you needed to beef up to be competitive. Given the injuries this has caused short term it seems unlikely that at this stage you will get any return from your investment. Whether, in the longer term, you gain anything remains to be seen. Knowing how much Bombers would like to beat us I am hoping for a really competitive game, at least until half-time.

The point of this observation is that to make a top 4 side (which Collingwood is)

Not at the moment they're not.

In terms of last year, what looks better in retrospect? The fact that we knocked off St Kilda, or the fact that we beat West Coast?

Not that I personally would detract from Carlton's performance (which have been top notch), but that's a flawed argument to a degree.

Not at the moment they're not.

Collingwood don't "look" like a top 4 side right now because we made them look dysfunctional. They ARE a top 4 side based on any predictive measure (i.e. if you don't think so there is money to be made with the bookies - just don't spend it all at once).

So when you post . . .
In terms of last year, what looks better in retrospect? The fact that we knocked off St Kilda, or the fact that we beat West Coast?
. . . the point you are trying to make is essentially that any dog may have its day. Had Gold Coast beaten you last week that might have been a case in point.

What is important is not that one team beat another team but "the manner" in which the defeat was inflicted. When you bravely drew with the Blues last year (after serious injury to your 2 quickest players) it was a well-deserved draw - indeed you were the better side on the day. But I left the game thinking Carlton could not play any dumber than they did that day, which, by and large last year, they did not.

I therefore think that there is more sense in the first part of your post below . . . .
Not that I personally would detract from Carlton's performance (which have been top notch), but that's a flawed argument to a degree.

. . . and repeat that the reduction of Collingwood to dysfunctional status demonstrates the convincing nature of the win. That is, give us Collingwood next week and we would beat them again, perhaps by not quite so big a margin.

The "flaw" you seek to expose in the argument is thereby answered.

Windhover - the problem with your argument is that one team doesn't "make" another team dysfunctional; they are predisposed to dysfunction or they are not. Collingwood were predisposed to it when they played Richmond; it was clear they were on the downward slope.

I would certainly say you exposed them, but you exposed a team with significant injuries to its defense. The convincing nature of your win is probably overstated for this reason, as is the assertion that Collingwood are top four. Clearly they are middle of the road at the moment.

The truth, though, is probably somewhere in between.

Windhover - the problem with your argument is that one team doesn't "make" another team dysfunctional; they are predisposed to dysfunction or they are not. Collingwood were predisposed to it when they played Richmond; it was clear they were on the downward slope.

I would certainly say you exposed them, but you exposed a team with significant injuries to its defense.
The convincing nature of your win is probably overstated for this reason, as is the assertion that Collingwood are top four. Clearly they are middle of the road at the moment.

The problem was not with Collingwood's defence as much as it was with their rucks and mids, and their lack of enthusiasm for the contest.

Dont mean to intrude. My brother is a carlton supporter and im really hoping you guys cause an upset. he did mention something which may help you guys out. this will be carltons first day match since the preseason. so heres hoping they may be a little off.

Your brother is a Carlton supporter and we're playing a game in the afternoon rather than at night, and that should swing the pendulum Essendon's way?
Is your brother Robert Pattison and are Carlton players vampires or something?

I'm sure you mean well, but there must be some more meat on the bone than that.

I would certainly say you exposed them, but you exposed a team with significant injuries to its defense. The convincing nature of your win is probably overstated for this reason, as is the assertion that Collingwood are top four. Clearly they are middle of the road at the moment.

If Carlton beats Essendon by 10 goals will you be saying that Essendon is dysfunctional because we saw it in the way Essendon played against GCS and it will be clear they are on a downward spiral?

I think that we need to see more than 3 games make assessments like this on teams. Mike Sheehan flip-flop syndrome is alive and well in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back