Preview Round 4 vs Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there on Friday night, and mentioned at half time, it was a horrible game of football. Collingwood, as bad as they were, had more inside 50's by quarter time, yet the scoreboard had Carlton well in front. Coll just butchered the ball - repeatedly.

Not actually correct - Carlton had 16 to 12 inside 50's for the quarter and 8 to 3 centre cleareances. You would be the first person I have heard not giving credit for how well Carlton played. Even KB came out saying Carlton were impressive - though he questioned how Collingwood's poor performance was a contributing factor

We'll get up by a little more than a kick, and I'll take delight in hearing the meltdowns and excuses erupt from the Carlton faithful. We've nothing to lose.

Learning exercise.
Watch why they are flag favourites.

Zaha to follow Murphy and watch how to become a dangerous midfielder
Hocking gets a break from stopping Judd, Howlett goes to him and watch him in traffic
Melksham to Carrazzo and run all day
Stanton on Gibbs - i just wanna see this matchup.
Midfield to learn how to put blocks on for your teammate with the ball

Watson gets a week off. If lasts weeks effort made him sick on the field, dont wanna see what happens this week

Not actually correct - Carlton had 16 to 12 inside 50's for the quarter

well then the scoreboard at the G, AND the radio got it wrong as it was discussed at 1/4 time.

In fact, my cousin carlton supporter alerted me to the screen before the radio mentioned if I recall.

Learning exercise.
Watch why they are flag favourites.

Zaha to follow Murphy and watch how to become a dangerous midfielder
Hocking gets a break from stopping Judd, Howlett goes to him and watch him in traffic
Melksham to Carrazzo and run all day
Stanton on Gibbs - i just wanna see this matchup.
Midfield to learn how to put blocks on for your teammate with the ball

Watson gets a week off. If lasts weeks effort made him sick on the field, dont wanna see what happens this week
This is completely idiotic. He got a blow to the solarplexes- With the amount of fluid he took in during the game I'm surprised he only coughed up that much. If the average person had similar amounts of powerade at a similar intensity of the game at that time and took a blow there they'd cough up twice as much. You're basically giving the game away if we do these things

I like the way Carlton go about things and can generally tolerate losing to them when they're the better side, which at the moment we'd have to concede they are.

Their supporters just make it totally unbearable though, particularly the ones on here. It's already at "Our shit doesn't stink" levels after Round 3.

I've noticed this too, and just wanted to apologise for some of the comments that certain Carlton supporters have been making since Friday night. Although, this is Big Footy, and every team's bandwagon supporters come out of the woodwork when their team gets on the slightest of rolls. :p

I think this game will be a lot closer than some are forecasting. At the end of the day, you can only beat what's put in front of you and you, like us, are 3-0. You guys will be up for this and as we all know, anything can happen when our great clubs meet.

I won't say good luck, but I will say that I hope this is a cracking game.

See you on Saturday, gents (and ladies).

I can't think of a better time to play Carlton. It is SO GOOD to play them after they've thrashed Collingwood by 10 goals.

Collingwood are utterly disfunctional, Brisbane are just plain shit, and Richmond is their usual free hit. Played into form after a useless preseason, and now thinking they are the greatest team that ever played from one result.

Set up for massive fall.

Hard to see us staying with them at this stage. They are clearly a level or two above us and are playing great football while we have been struggling to put together 3 quarters of footy let alone 4.

Carlton by over 45 points unfortunately.

I can't think of a better time to play Carlton. It is SO GOOD to play them after they've thrashed Collingwood by 10 goals.

Collingwood are utterly disfunctional, Brisbane are just plain shit, and Richmond is their usual free hit. Played into form after a useless preseason, and now thinking they are the greatest team that ever played from one result.

Set up for massive fall.

I'd feel the same if we were playing good footy for the entire game. But we're not. Don't have the same confidence as you have at all.

Of course though, i hope im wrong.

On paper it's not a good time to be playing Carlton. Our form is not great and we've copped too many early season injuries though thankly not season ending. They are seemingly in form and their injury list is minimal.

What gives hope and a semblance of confidence is they way these games have panned out over the years where often ladder position is irrelevant.

This is a very bad match up for us at this point of the season.

Our uncontested possession count, coupled with our poor disposal efficiency tells us we aren't running for each other to create space and carry. Fortunately for us, our contested ability has allowed us to grind out games.

Unfortunately, Carlton have been doing this as well as us, but unlike us are also running and carrying the ball forward in great numbers. On Etihad this can be restricted somewhat, on the MCG this will be a swift death.

Last year we were amongst the top four or five clearance sides in the league. We are not matching that standard thus far, which is amazing considering both Watson and Stanton are playing well. Our problem lies in our 4th through to 7th/8th midfielders such as Zaka and Melksham, who are not performing to standard. Watson and Stanton alone will not be enough to challenge Carlton in the middle. Stanton in particular is likely to be targeted by Carlton, confident in the fact that our mid tier midfielders will be unable to hurt them.

Our contested marking ability is very good, however the likely beating our ball carriers are going to receive means opportunities to take advantage of this forward of centre will be restricted. Carlton's small forwards and ability to clear space behind key defenders means it will be worth little down back as well. Hurley and Crameri, with Ryder in support can definetely trouble Carltons defense, but supply will be limited meaning even excellent games from all three is unlikely to result in a winning score.

To win this game, we need something akin to a miracle. Winderlich, Colyer and Dempsey are massive losses here; our pace can and has troubled Carlton in the past - we simply won't have this weapon at our disposal.

Hibberd, Hardingham and Fletcher will be absolutely vital in stopping Carlton's small forwards from kicking a damaging score. I'd be tempted to play Jetta in a half back role in attempt to counter some of their pace.

Hurley and Crameri need to be played higher up the ground to encourage some marking contests at the 60-70m marks. If they sit deep they will be strangled for supply.

Ryder NEEDS to be played in the ruck more often in this game. He will be wasted forward in this matchup. We have enough height. Much as I like Bellchambers, I think he will be a liability here when resting, though competitive when rucking. Hille is a big loss; he has in the past physically pushed around and hurt Carlton's midfield and rucks. Bellchambers is unlikely to replicate this impact.

Without a dramatic form reversal, an increased desire to run and recieve, a better output from Zaharakis, Meksham and Hocking and outstanding games from Ryder and Fletcher we will get beat here, and quite possibly by a fair margin.

Carlton by 60pts; but remember - its round 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Set up for massive fall.

This this this this THIS!!!

The sensationalist media obsession over week-to-week results has been around for some time. Team A has big win and is going to win the flag according to apparently learned “expert” opinion writers, they lose the next week and it’s a “crisis”.

It’s well and truly spreading to supporters now and people shouldn’t get caught up in the bullshit hype.

Seriously, so many people I’ve spoken to today are saying Carlton are going to be in the GF, as if it’s as certain as the sun rising tomorrow.

**** this mob. They’re a good side obviously, but they haven’t proven anything more than we have and we’re definitely a shot on Saturday.

FFS if we could beat Geelong last year, and St Kilda in 2009, we can ****in beat this mob. I’m glad they’re beating their chest this week, wouldn’t have it any other way.

Look at all the big babies in this thread. We are 3 - 0, forget how we played last week and focus on the big game ahead.

These games are generally close no matter what the ladder position is. 90K at the MCG should shake any complacency from the side and we will give a good account of ourselves.

We have the best inside man in the league - Watson. He's better than Judd at the moment on winning the stoppage.
We have good inside scrappers in Hocking, Howlett and possibly Lonergan to come in.

We had them on toast in the first game last year before injuries and in the other 2 games their spread got us.

I think we have learned from that and can win.

Now...exactly how did you work that out?
After 3 games AFL stats shows neither in the top 20 for kicks; Judd is 4th for handballs - Watson nowhere; Judd is 6th for total disposals - Watson 30th; Judd is 4th for clearances - Watson 16th!!!

Watson is 4th in the league for "Frees for" which adds to his disposal count - Judd (unsurprisingly to Carlton fans) doesn't feature in the Frees For category and hasn't for years! .
Watson is 14th in the League for tackles (Judd nowhere) which simply tells you that he hasn't got the ball, and has wrapped his arms around someone who has - possibly his direct opponent!!!!
Watson is a terrific footballer, and I admire him as he has made the most of the talent he has been given, and is a wonderful leader. But he is not in the Chris Judd class, but then again, very few current players are.

Carlton by 6 goals.

Now...exactly how did you work that out?
After 3 games AFL stats shows neither in the top 20 for kicks; Judd is 4th for handballs - Watson nowhere; Judd is 6th for total disposals - Watson 30th; Judd is 4th for clearances - Watson 16th!!!

Watson is 4th in the league for "Frees for" which adds to his disposal count - Judd (unsurprisingly to Carlton fans) doesn't feature in the Frees For category and hasn't for years! .
Watson is 14th in the League for tackles (Judd nowhere) which simply tells you that he hasn't got the ball, and has wrapped his arms around someone who has - possibly his direct opponent!!!!
Watson is a terrific footballer, and I admire him as he has made the most of the talent he has been given, and is a wonderful leader. But he is not in the Chris Judd class, but then again, very few current players are.

Carlton by 6 goals.

Looking at stats over three games is extremely short-sighted. One outlier makes too significant a difference. A better idea would be to compare the players over the whole of last season.

This is a very bad match up for us at this point of the season.Agreed.

Our uncontested possession count, coupled with our poor disposal efficiency tells us we aren't running for each other to create space and carry. Fortunately for us, our contested ability has allowed us to grind out games.
Correct.

Unfortunately, Carlton have been doing this as well as us, but unlike us are also running and carrying the ball forward in great numbers. On Etihad this can be restricted somewhat, on the MCG this will be a swift death.
We will not be able to handle their run through play as evident against the GC last week.

Last year we were amongst the top four or five clearance sides in the league. We are not matching that standard thus far, which is amazing considering both Watson and Stanton are playing well. Our problem lies in our 4th through to 7th/8th midfielders such as Zaka and Melksham, who are not performing to standard. Watson and Stanton alone will not be enough to challenge Carlton in the middle. Stanton in particular is likely to be targeted by Carlton, confident in the fact that our mid tier midfielders will be unable to hurt them.Compared to last year we look to have taken a step backwards. Stants and Jobe will get nothing all night. Carrazo to Jobe and that mad as hell ranga on Stants and that's the end of them.

Our contested marking ability is very good, however the likely beating our ball carriers are going to receive means opportunities to take advantage of this forward of centre will be restricted. Carlton's small forwards and ability to clear space behind key defenders means it will be worth little down back as well. Hurley and Crameri, with Ryder in support can definetely trouble Carltons defense, but supply will be limited meaning even excellent games from all three is unlikely to result in a winning score.

To win this game, we need something akin to a miracle. Winderlich, Colyer and Dempsey are massive losses here; our pace can and has troubled Carlton in the past - we simply won't have this weapon at our disposal.Truer words my friend, truer words.

Hibberd, Hardingham and Fletcher will be absolutely vital in stopping Carlton's small forwards from kicking a damaging score. I'd be tempted to play Jetta in a half back role in attempt to counter some of their pace. Leroy has no defensive skills and would be useless tagging someone. Dempsey would be perfect however that's obviously not going to happen. What we need here are two tough nuggety defenders (a la Brad Johnson & Dean Solomon) who're just going to rough them up like little bitches all night so each time they go near the ball they shit themselves.

Hurley and Crameri need to be played higher up the ground to encourage some marking contests at the 60-70m marks. If they sit deep they will be strangled for supply. :thumbsu:

Ryder NEEDS to be played in the ruck more often in this game. He will be wasted forward in this matchup. We have enough height. Much as I like Bellchambers, I think he will be a liability here when resting, though competitive when rucking. Hille is a big loss; he has in the past physically pushed around and hurt Carlton's midfield and rucks. Bellchambers is unlikely to replicate this impact. Right now Bellchamber can't replicate taking a mark so anything else is on the backburner

Without a dramatic form reversal, an increased desire to run and recieve, a better output from Zaharakis, Meksham and Hocking and outstanding games from Ryder and Fletcher we will get beat here, and quite possibly by a fair margin.

Carlton by 60pts; but remember - its round 4.

Epic post.:thumbsu:

We're going to get sodimised. I'm accepting this fact now so anything to the contrary is a pleasant surprise.

I said the exact same thing to the chick I picked up on the weekend.

:eek:

Really looking forward to this match. Essendon Carlton games should never be rated on form.

If ive learnt anything from the past 37 years, If any game provides a a fair chance of an upset, its Carlton v Essendon.

I honestly think this game will be closer than people think. As Mal said, form usually means stuff all in these game. Initially I thought we should have a good win but you guys usually lift against us.

In all honesty, of the injuries you guys currently have, who would begin your best 22 that will prob miss? And who would they replace? Like do you guys actually consider Myers, Colyer, Lovett-Murray best 22?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back