Autopsy Round 5: Richmond V Geelong @ MCG - Saturday 1:45PM, 02/05/15 - Changes for North

Select up to 5 players you considered today's best.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

imagine us with a quality small forward like Lonie...picked up by saints with pick 70 or thereabouts ...absolute bargain..ready made quality player that turns games around
Meh, didnt we say the same thing about Nahas? Heaps of teams seem to get a nice small forward who looks good and then falls off after 1 season.
Not many small forwards that are good over a long period of time.

I thought Hunt should've gone to Selwood once he started to lift. Credit to Grigg for his effforts, but maybe Selwood worked him out? I don't know. Just thought Hunt was probably struggling himself and would've relished the opportunity (in a role he has solid experience in too).
Watching the match Grig was taken off selwood. and listenning to hardwick it was deliberate to try and get some out side run.didnt work

We need quality coaches, and more people working in development.

Out: Damien Hardwick, Brendon Lade, Mark Williams, Tim Clarke, Andrew McQualter
In: Nathan Bassett, Matthew Knights, Dean Cox, Cameron Ling, Jonathan Brown, Andrew Collins.

The experience may not be there but the quality is. Shouldn't be bank-breaking in the immediate future.

Senior Coach: Nathan Bassett
Senior Assistant (and Midfield Spread): Matthew Knights
Defensive Coach: Ben Rutten
Defensive Analyst: Ross Smith
Ruck Coach (and Midfield Stoppage): Dean Cox
Forward Coach: Jonathan Brown

Head of Development: Mark 'Choco' Williams
Defensive Development: Greg Mellor
Ruck/Foward Development: Max Bailey
Midfield Development: Cameron Ling

VFL Coach: Andrew Collins.
I agree but not convinced by Bailey. Rutten deserves a chance.
Hey CotchyCrew your avatar has reminded me that I could use a good laugh....Scrubs !!!:D:D:D....thanks:thumbsu:
You are obviously back home from your stint away going by the extreme number of posts lately.

Out: Newman, Lloyd, Morris
In: Griffiths, Deledio, Conca

B: Batchelor, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Vlastuin
C: Ellis, Cotchin, McIntosh
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, C.Ellis
F: Lennon, Reiwoldt, Vickery
R: Maric, Martin, Edwards
I: Miles, Grigg, Hunt, Conca

We are getting close to our last chance for this season and I think some serious risk/changes need to made in order for us to start winning some games.

We are getting close to full fitness so my suggested team is based on a fully fit side.

First of all our forward line stinks. We need to be much more aggressive in the way we move the ball and the players we use up forward.

For me our starting forward line should look like this in the coming weeks:

HF: Deledio, Griffiths, S.Edwards
F: Martin, Riewoldt, Lloyd/Lennon/Gordon

Both Deledio and Martin should spend 2/3s of the game up forward and that way we don't need a 3rd tall but we will have a back-up.

The wings are simple: Hunt, B.Ellis and McIntosh - with McIntosh getting time in the middle and Hunt spending some time down back.

Ruck: Maric
Midfield: Cotchin, Miles, Conca, Grigg, Vlastuin, C.Ellis, Foley
Part Timers: S.Edwards (up to 50%), Martin (up to 33%), Deledio (up to 33%), McIntosh (up to 33%)

B: Chaplin, Astbury, Grimes/Batchelor/Morris (only 1 plays)
HB: Houli, Rance, Vlastuin/Conca/Hunt (shared)

Team this week:

B: Chaplin, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Houli, Rance, Hunt
C: B.Ellis, Vlastuin, McIntosh
HF: S.Edwards, Griffiths, Deledio
F: Martin, Riewoldt, Lennon
R: Maric, Cotchin, Grigg
Int: Miles, Conca, C.Ellis
Sub: Foley

Deledio unfit (Lloyd/Gordon/McDonough)
Foley unfit (Lloyd/Gordon/McDonough)
Grimes unfit (Batchelor/Morris)
Griffiths unfit (Vickery)

Seems pretty straight forward.
- I'd give Lennon another game simply because our ball movement was so shit he never had a chance to get in the game.
- C.Ellis got better with every minute, some of those handballs were likes Sheds.
- Batchelor and Morris have been shithouse
- Newman is not going to help us get any better, and I'd rather see what Lennon can offer.

Interesting Conca was named best on VFL website but only 3rd best on our website. To only have 19 disposals and be named best would usually indicate a noticeable performace, I wonder if our VFL guys are trying to push the selection case for Matt Thomas, who on the VFL website didn't even get a mention.

I'd probably suggest Cotchin step down as captain tomorrow. Nothing against him but two crucial misses two weeks in a row with a history of missing captains goals.... He needs to drop the pressure on himself. Let him worry about being the best midfielder in the comp and let someone like Deledio, Riewoldt or Maric captain the team for now. When Vlastuin establishes himself look to give him the gig unless another player steps up.

I'd probably suggest Cotchin step down as captain tomorrow. Nothing against him but two crucial misses two weeks in a row with a history of missing captains goals....

Yes he missed one late in the 3rd but his game overall was brilliant....
Cotchin willed himself, threw himself at every contest, chased, ran hard and linked up, i watched him closely and i just saw a man possessed to get his team over the line....Dusty wasn't far behind Cotch as was Houli...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey I'm kinda tentatively starting this thread in case I missed it somewhere else and cause I dunno if it's specifically someone's job... and also cause I told myself (again) I'd avoid the forums after the loss to Geelong, but here I am again.

Anyway I have been advocating patience and faith in the list, Hardwick and the gameplan but I myself am starting to lose patience and faith.. If we were to beat North (very bloody unlikely) then wow I would probably do a 180 until we lost again, but honestly this sluggish crap we have dished up this year is really starting to piss me off and I just don't think we have the cattle nor the coaching staff to really burn it up and turn into an awesome team.

I wouldn't mind Matty Knights as someone else suggested.
I wouldn't mind us also going away from the forward press and instead trying to instill more run and ferocity at the ball itself. So sick of us being easily scored against on the rebound...

And I think we need to do something akin to the Hawks when they traded Trent Croad to the Dockers- Trade 1 or 2 of our so-called untouchables and do a mini rebuild/refresh.
I wouldn't mind us offloading B. Ellis whilst his value is high (high as it will ever be I reckon). I also wouldn't mind flirting with trading Deledio. I typed Riewoldt then thought no, if we get up and about again he will be ****** awesome so no way.
I keep saying "I wouldn't mind" because I don't necessarily like the ideas, but I also don't see us getting to the next level (better than our 2013 finish) without making some tough calls and tweaking things a bit. Untouchables are Cotchin, Rance, Dusty, C. Ellis, Edwards, Riewoldt, Astbury, Vlastuin.

Anyway back to my original reason for posting, changes vs. North.
You might call this reactive but what else can we be when we keep losing and playing slow and shit?

OUT: Maric (rest), Morris, Lloyd, Batchelor, Newman, Hunt, Grigg
IN: Elton, Grimes, Griffiths, Deledio, Conca, Foley, McDonough

B/ Grimes - Elton - Chaplin
HB/ Houli - Rance - Lennon
C/ B Ellis - Vlastuin - Deledio
HF/ Martin - Astbury - Griffiths
F/ Edwards - Riewoldt - McDonough
R/ Vickery - Cotchin - Miles
Int/ C Ellis - Foley - McIntosh - Conca

It's a lot of changes but this is what I wanna see. And the OUTs are slow and the INs bring some pace. Anyway.. here's hoping for a better performance one way or another. But Etihad vs. North usually spells doom.

Cotchin willed himself, threw himself at every contest, chanced, ran hard and linked up, i watched him closely and i just saw a man possessed to get his team over the line....Dusty wasn't far behind Cotch as was Houli...
Cotchin was far from brilliant. It's not just about willing yourself, his disposal was very poor and the missed goals were very costly. Plus, where was Cotchin and the rest of our mids when we were getting toasted in the first half? He played an ok game, but needs to work on his disposal and not going missing when we're getting smashed in the middle.

Hey I'm kinda tentatively starting this thread in case I missed it somewhere else and cause I dunno if it's specifically someone's job... and also cause I told myself (again) I'd avoid the forums after the loss to Geelong, but here I am again.

Anyway I have been advocating patience and faith in the list, Hardwick and the gameplan but I myself am starting to lose patience and faith.. If we were to beat North (very bloody unlikely) then wow I would probably do a 180 until we lost again, but honestly this sluggish crap we have dished up this year is really starting to piss me off and I just don't think we have the cattle nor the coaching staff to really burn it up and turn into an awesome team.

I wouldn't mind Matty Knights as someone else suggested.
I wouldn't mind us also going away from the forward press and instead trying to instill more run and ferocity at the ball itself. So sick of us being easily scored against on the rebound...

And I think we need to do something akin to the Hawks when they traded Trent Croad to the Dockers- Trade 1 or 2 of our so-called untouchables and do a mini rebuild/refresh.
I wouldn't mind us offloading B. Ellis whilst his value is high (high as it will ever be I reckon). I also wouldn't mind flirting with trading Deledio. I typed Riewoldt then thought no, if we get up and about again he will be ****** awesome so no way.
I keep saying "I wouldn't mind" because I don't necessarily like the ideas, but I also don't see us getting to the next level (better than our 2013 finish) without making some tough calls and tweaking things a bit. Untouchables are Cotchin, Rance, Dusty, C. Ellis, Edwards, Riewoldt, Astbury, Vlastuin.

Anyway back to my original reason for posting, changes vs. North.
You might call this reactive but what else can we be when we keep losing and playing slow and shit?

IN: Elton, Grimes, Griffiths, Deledio, Conca, Foley, McDonough

B/ Grimes - Elton - Chaplin
HB/ Houli - Rance - Lennon
C/ B Ellis - Vlastuin - Deledio
HF/ Martin - Astbury - Griffiths
F/ Edwards - Riewoldt - McDonough
R/ Vickery - Cotchin - Miles
Int/ C Ellis - Foley - McIntosh - Conca

It's a lot of changes but this is what I wanna see. And the OUTs are slow and the INs bring some pace. Anyway.. here's hoping for a better performance one way or another. But Etihad vs. North usually spells doom.

didnt Grigg pretty much beat Selwood??? ideal match up for Swallow, and we are playing Tassie.

I'm all for Elton replacing Chaplin. His kicking forward in the clear is terrible. Sprays them to the boundary.

Out: chaplin, morris, lloyd, lennon
In: Elton, Griffiths, Deledio, foley

We are coming up against arguably the best ruckman in the comp in Goldstein so I wouldn't have thought this week is the time to rest Maric.

In 2013 we finished fifth and apart from letting Carlton beat us we looked pretty good.

We had a three tall forward line, Riewaldt, Vickery, McGuane, (Sometimes Arron Edwards)

Our small forwards kicked well (King and Martin kicking 21 and 23 respectively) Conca kicked 12 goals that year.

Jackson and Tuck were monsters in the middle Jacko taking a more positive roll and Tuck just smashing the packs to win the ball.

Grigg is no replacement for Jacko (Grigg is playing well but Jackson would have never allowed Selwood to get those easy brakes in the last q)

Miles is tough as nails but an extractor rather than a pack buster. Martin has become a pack buster this season and that has come at an expense to his goal kicking.

We have been unlucky with Knights he is a great small forward but do not think he will get back

What we need is Lloyd or Gordon or Morris to kick some goals.

Corey Ellis is going to be a gun.

Ben Lennon is not looking so good.

Vlass is carrying an injury but he ultimately will be our Tuck replacement.

For this week
Conca is probably underdone but I would like to see him and Grimes back
Rest Maric (Hampson is a better match for Goldstien and has been smashing it in the reserves)
Play both Griff and Vickery in the forward line. Griff should be playing a roll of the wing/HFF Vickery Deep and jack CHF.

I also think at some stages Jack should play in the middle with Griff and Vickery in the forward line.

In a nutshell
Out Lennon, Maric, (Batch or chaplain) Lloyd
In Conca Hampson Griff Grimes

Conca up forward

In 2013 we finished fifth and apart from letting Carlton beat us we looked pretty good.

We had a three tall forward line, Riewaldt, Vickery, McGuane, (Sometimes Arron Edwards)

Our small forwards kicked well (King and Martin kicking 21 and 23 respectively) Conca kicked 12 goals that year.

Jackson and Tuck were monsters in the middle Jacko taking a more positive roll and Tuck just smashing the packs to win the ball.

Grigg is no replacement for Jacko (Grigg is playing well but Jackson would have never allowed Selwood to get those easy brakes in the last q)

Miles is tough as nails but an extractor rather than a pack buster. Martin has become a pack buster this season and that has come at an expense to his goal kicking.

We have been unlucky with Knights he is a great small forward but do not think he will get back

What we need is Lloyd or Gordon or Morris to kick some goals.

Corey Ellis is going to be a gun.

Ben Lennon is not looking so good.

Vlass is carrying an injury but he ultimately will be our Tuck replacement.

For this week
Conca is probably underdone but I would like to see him and Grimes back
Rest Maric (Hampson is a better match for Goldstien and has been smashing it in the reserves)
Play both Griff and Vickery in the forward line. Griff should be playing a roll of the wing/HFF Vickery Deep and jack CHF.

I also think at some stages Jack should play in the middle with Griff and Vickery in the forward line.

In a nutshell
Out Lennon, Maric, (Batch or chaplain) Lloyd
In Conca Hampson Griff Grimes

Conca up forward

this is what is hurting us more than any.

Cotchin willed himself, threw himself at every contest, chanced, ran hard and linked up, i watched him closely and i just saw a man possessed to get his team over the line....Dusty wasn't far behind Cotch as was Houli...

Brilliant.? I'll give you that he tired in the last qtr but failed to get us over the line. where was he for the first 3 qtrs.? he know that Lids is not on the field so he needs to show that extra bit to cover his absence. Morris is a waste of space, Maric looks cooked and chappy usually manages the backline well.

Our goal kicking, delivery up forward and forward pressure is non existance. If it wasn't was rance, we would have been slaughtered in every game this season.

Just watch selwood's last qtr and you will get a glimpse of how captains lead and take the team over the line. I agree that cotch is not our problem but when chips are down the team, fans and the footy world expect the captain to lift the team to victory. Joel is a country mile away from cotch in terms of leadership......

I hope to be wrong but i see a 2-7 start to the season wheres as we should be 5-4 or 4-5 at the very least.....There will be no fairy tail ending this year.......
but am sure some posters here, Dimma & benny gale will find a statistic to show " methodical" improvement and put another spin to an insipid spin to keep the memberships intact.....

I personally won't be renewing my membership if we end up with no improvement on last year.

Very cool, but they don't work for ch10 and the bikes, or ch7 and the footy or ch9 and the cricket. When they sign up i will be impressed.

What I seen tonight on commercial telly of a bike traveling at 290kph and the front spokes going so slow as someone was pushing the bike manually with 100% clarity was effen unreal, and when this hits footy and cricket we will be blown away.
Didn't you see the tigers training in super slow mo? Riveting viewing mate.

But Etihad vs. North usually spells doom.

You ever seen a map of tassie mate? Best place to play in I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 5: Richmond V Geelong @ MCG - Saturday 1:45PM, 02/05/15 - Changes for North

Back