• The Tigers in a close one

Votes: 31 20.1%
  • I support Richmond so I'll just vote for them

Votes: 62 40.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a positive feeling about this.. hoodoos are their to be broken. We've got the blooze one under control....
If we can keep froffies motlop, kermit Johnson and tomahawk under control we should win.

May 2 2015 – Richmonds D-Day

After the first 4 weeks of the 2015 the Tigers sit in 9th spot with a 2-2 record after losing 2 games that many would have pencilled in as wins before the season started. As a result the club and coach Damien Hardwick find themselves under a bit of pressure from both internal and external sources. There are groups of fans who are starting to become restless with the way the club has seemingly stalled in its progress from a bottom dweller in 2010 to a genuine premiership contender which many hoped we would be heading into the 6th season under Hardwick regime.

Tomorrow Richmond has the chance to do what Geelong did in 2007, no I’m not talking about winning by 157 points and making the opposition look like park footballers. I’m talking about making a statement in a game after they have been scrutinised by all and sundry and had questions asked about whether they in fact the real deal or just another pretender who had a couple of seasons where things went right and have now become exposed. Everyone at the club, from the board to the fitness staff has been questioned this week it seems. Hell I even had to read an article from Fox Footy in which they asked whether Hardwick would be the first coach to get sacked this year, so it seems the media is once again on the trail looking to claim another Richmond coaches scalp.

So how does the side go about ensuring that tomorrow they walk off the MCG with a much needed win. Well firstly there is the side itself, the 22 picked for tomorrow is arguably the strongest side we’ve picked this season.

B: Batchelor, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Vlastuin
C: B. Ellis, Cotchin, Hunt
HF: Lennon, Vickery, Miles
F: Edwards, Riewoldt, Lloyd
R: Maric, Martin, C. Ellis
IC: Grigg, Newman, Morris
SUB: McIntosh

The above is how I would have the side line up tomorrow afternoon. The back 6 is defensively sound, the midfield has plenty of ball winning ability and skill, the forward line had goal kicking options and the bench offers rotations and a bit of experience. However that it not enough on its own to win the game. The next part is much more important and that is the attitude and intent of the 22 that run out tomorrow. Last week against Melbourne we were horrible when it came to these 2 areas, players just didn’t work hard enough for long enough when the game was in the balance and it was only when it was too late that a handful put in a token effort to try and reel in the margin.

Tomorrow against the Cats the intent has to be there from the beginning, we have to come out ready to do whatever it takes to secure the win. At every contest we need to be harder and hungrier than the Cats players. It’s time that all Richmond players learned to pay the price when it comes to winning games of footy and not just waiting until the game is over before jumping on board and working hard. Make no mistake, tomorrow the Cats are going to be hungry after losing at home last week and they certainly won’t want to lose 3 in a row as it will put them right behind the 8 ball in terms of making finals this year.

What I would be doing tomorrow is putting a few team rules into effect that are non negotiable.

1. When the ball is in dispute, no one takes a backwards step.

2. When we don’t have the ball you run harder than when we do have the ball to defend.

3. As a team we must average 20 tackles a quarter and every player must have laid at least 2 tackles for the game

4. When we have possession of the ball, we move it quickly and directly towards our forward line.

5. When the ball is in our F50 it doesn’t leave unless we score.

Now some people will look at those team rules and say they are unrealistic, IMO, the only unrealistic one is the last one, but that is more about ensuring that our forwards and midfielders do everything they can to ensure that the ball doesn’t easily rebound out of the F50 like it has been. They chase and harass and put the opposition under immense pressure when they get the ball in our forward half. As for the rest, it’s the same sort thing. Putting the opposition under pressure all over the ground for the entire game. I don’t care if we are 10 goals up or 10 goals down. As I said tomorrow is our D-Day, lose this and we may as well hoist the white flag on 2015. Win and we may well be looking back on this day as the day when it all clicked.

May 2 2015 – Richmonds D-Day

After the first 4 weeks of the 2015 the Tigers sit in 9th spot with a 2-2 record after losing 2 games that many would have pencilled in as wins before the season started. As a result the club and coach Damien Hardwick find themselves under a bit of pressure from both internal and external sources. There are groups of fans who are starting to become restless with the way the club has seemingly stalled in its progress from a bottom dweller in 2010 to a genuine premiership contender which many hoped we would be heading into the 6th season under Hardwick regime.

Tomorrow Richmond has the chance to do what Geelong did in 2007, no I’m not talking about winning by 157 points and making the opposition look like park footballers. I’m talking about making a statement in a game after they have been scrutinised by all and sundry and had questions asked about whether they in fact the real deal or just another pretender who had a couple of seasons where things went right and have now become exposed. Everyone at the club, from the board to the fitness staff has been questioned this week it seems. Hell I even had to read an article from Fox Footy in which they asked whether Hardwick would be the first coach to get sacked this year, so it seems the media is once again on the trail looking to claim another Richmond coaches scalp.

So how does the side go about ensuring that tomorrow they walk off the MCG with a much needed win. Well firstly there is the side itself, the 22 picked for tomorrow is arguably the strongest side we’ve picked this season.

B: Batchelor, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Vlastuin
C: B. Ellis, Cotchin, Hunt
HF: Lennon, Vickery, Miles
F: Edwards, Riewoldt, Lloyd
R: Maric, Martin, C. Ellis
IC: Grigg, Newman, Morris
SUB: McIntosh

The above is how I would have the side line up tomorrow afternoon. The back 6 is defensively sound, the midfield has plenty of ball winning ability and skill, the forward line had goal kicking options and the bench offers rotations and a bit of experience. However that it not enough on its own to win the game. The next part is much more important and that is the attitude and intent of the 22 that run out tomorrow. Last week against Melbourne we were horrible when it came to these 2 areas, players just didn’t work hard enough for long enough when the game was in the balance and it was only when it was too late that a handful put in a token effort to try and reel in the margin.

Tomorrow against the Cats the intent has to be there from the beginning, we have to come out ready to do whatever it takes to secure the win. At every contest we need to be harder and hungrier than the Cats players. It’s time that all Richmond players learned to pay the price when it comes to winning games of footy and not just waiting until the game is over before jumping on board and working hard. Make no mistake, tomorrow the Cats are going to be hungry after losing at home last week and they certainly won’t want to lose 3 in a row as it will put them right behind the 8 ball in terms of making finals this year.

What I would be doing tomorrow is putting a few team rules into effect that are non negotiable.

1. When the ball is in dispute, no one takes a backwards step.

2. When we don’t have the ball you run harder than when we do have the ball to defend.

3. As a team we must average 20 tackles a quarter and every player must have laid at least 2 tackles for the game

4. When we have possession of the ball, we move it quickly and directly towards our forward line.

5. When the ball is in our F50 it doesn’t leave unless we score.

Now some people will look at those team rules and say they are unrealistic, IMO, the only unrealistic one is the last one, but that is more about ensuring that our forwards and midfielders do everything they can to ensure that the ball doesn’t easily rebound out of the F50 like it has been. They chase and harass and put the opposition under immense pressure when they get the ball in our forward half. As for the rest, it’s the same sort thing. Putting the opposition under pressure all over the ground for the entire game. I don’t care if we are 10 goals up or 10 goals down. As I said tomorrow is our D-Day, lose this and we may as well hoist the white flag on 2015. Win and we may well be looking back on this day as the day when it all clicked.
Unrealistic or not it should be the aim and no less.

If I was coaching tomorrow! I would line them all up, give them the steely glare and say...**** this, I'm so unqualified to even pretend that I could do a better job...Dimma, Dimma, where's Dimma!!!

If I was coaching tomorrow! I would line them all up, give them the steely glare and say...**** this, I'm so unqualified to even pretend that I could do a better job...Dimma, Dimma, where's Dimma!!!
Sorry forgot that we're not allowed to offer opinions or preview games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Magpies have 10 players playing against Carlton with less than 50 games experience (according to Ch.7 commentators). It absolutely pains me to say this but our young players (well all really) should look at the urgency, drive and ferociousness of the pies youngsters. I know it is Carlton who are not putting up much but there is a massive gap looking at tonight performance.....

The Magpies have 10 players playing against Carlton with less than 50 games experience (according to Ch.7 commentators). It absolutely pains me to say this but our young players (well all really) should look at the urgency, drive and ferociousness of the pies youngsters. I know it is Carlton who are not putting up much but there is a massive gap looking at tonight performance.....
Comes down to leadership. The Pies senior players set the standard and demand the same of the kids as they come through. Unfortunately our leaders aren't at the same level. Unfortunately some won't agree with that but it's becoming a reality the more we get to see performances like rounds 2 & 4.

Mate, by giving Newman a gig ahead of a bloke like Lennon is absolutely criminal. Is Newman apart of the future? Nope. At least let's find blokes who WILL be apart of the future. I don't buy the experience thing aswell. Newman has been putrid for the last 1-2 years and shows NO on field leadership.

Chaplin is not a backline general. Backline generals actually have a good kick, impact the contest, and go man to man with the game's best forwards. He's a helicopter kicking cat who wouldn't get a gig at any top club in the AFL. Grigg...don't even start me. Mr Handwaver. Softest footballer in the game.

Putting Newman in front of of Lennon is not criminal. Though I would prefer to give Lennon ago to show his capabilities at senior level. May I suggest its not by giving Newan a gig before Lennon but may be others such as as loyed or gorden, arnott and maddona. Oh and i support the first 2 before the other 2
As for chaplin, for richmond at the moment he would be the general. Give me a name with a good kick to replace him who is currently at richmond.
it dosen't mean I think he is the best option if we can get a better player in the future but I am tired of people being critical but not have a solution for the immediate time which is now. the players we have are the players we have and for me at the moment Chaplin would be the best general down back regardless of his kicking.

Happy to see Corey Ellis making his debut this weekend, Lennon back in the side for the first time this year, along with Vickery who hasn't played a game since round 18 last year (yeah that game West Coast fans still sook about). Chaplin was missed last week, we needed his experience in the backline... that's pretty obvious and people are too afraid to admit it. Newman... well yeah I dunno former captain we need some leadership in the side.

This thread turns to shit at about 6.30 most Thursday nights, so much whinging it's a lol. There's been a heap of changes, all necessary, could've been more but 5 is enough to keep some balance. The 22 is put out there to give us the biggest chance of winning.

Also, regarding Morris, you're doing it wrong if you're trying to have a dig at his impact on the game by using stats... that's just a cop out. Everyone knows that he's there to apply pressure not rack up Supercoach points.

I do agree why he is there but I not seeing him doing it well enough to justify his position forward. Compare him to gordon. His tackles are more ferocious but gordon Marking and space creating and goal scoring is far better. Also with Gordon his tackling may not be as good as morris but he does harass very well so I put him in front of Morris. Preferring Morris in the backline at the moment, judging on the first 4 games but I understand what Hardwick is trying to achieve.

Comes down to leadership. The Pies senior players set the standard and demand the same of the kids as they come through. Unfortunately our leaders aren't at the same level. Unfortunately some won't agree with that but it's becoming a reality the more we get to see performances like rounds 2 & 4.

Comes down to development.

Look at how much they invest into their football department. They develop players quicker and better than we do because they want it. They push their cash into being successful on the field.

We simply don't.

The usual deal is that anyone who has few (preferably no) games in the AFL is a guaranteed absolute champion, if only the coaches weren't holding them back. ('the grass is always greener' or as I prefer to call it, 'the Gourdis effect').

Naturually, most of the people who feel this way have seen few, if any VFL games, yet still know far more about these players and how well they work within the gameplan than the coaches.
Look at all the calls recently for our new breed of champs McDonough and Arnot to come in, when they did, impressive weren't they. At this stage give me the experience of Newy any day.

Happy to see Lennon and Ellis in. Really looking forward to seeing both player as there our future BUT bloody filthy that Morris, Lloyd are still in the side at the expense of Arnot and McDonough. What sort of message does that send to those two young kids who finally play a game to get dropped while two blokes, one in the leadership group know less get another chance. Morris should be dropped on form and Lloyds form was so bad on Friday he should stay in the VFL till he his BOG in 5 games.

Would have Morris and Lloyd ahead of McDonough and Arnot any day, and thats saying something.

gotta feel for Arnot and Mcdonough. 1 game in, Arnot went Ok for a half (like everyone else) and McDonough was sub. very harsh to drop them.
happy for the ins, but it should have been lloyd and morris out instead of arnot and mcd. Mcdonough did more than morris in half a quarter, and arnot did more than lloyd. i feel that, again, Dimma is not rewarding effort, and is just picking players that he is fans of, regardless of form.

hope bikkies and madonna do well in the 2s.

Tigers may get up, but if they dont, then it will be due to incorrect team structures.

tigers by 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back