Preview Round 5 vs Brisbane at the Gabba, Sunday Afternoon, 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Holman keep his spot to play on Zorko or would Brodie/Miller be up for it? Haven't watched a lot of Brisbane this year, was it a tag that kept him down in the first couple of rounds or form?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Massive game for our season, win and we have had an OK opening to the season.

Lose and we are looking down the barrel of a decent losing streak.

Ins and Outs Predictions:

Out:
Rischitelli
Holman

In:
Barlow
Brodie
The AFL scheduling has been good for us in terms of making a bloody awful situation bearable. 8 days break is a blessing for boths teams who played away and return for a somewhat neutral fixture.

Brisbane was awful over 4 quarters and it wasn't like it was a one sided contest in the middle. Richmond took it to the Lions front on and pummelled them.
2 goals and 5 behinds is a miserable score off 39 inside 50s compared to Richmond's 16.14 from only 53 forward entries, especially considering the Lions won the Hitouts and clearances.

The Suns matched the Eagles in the 1st and 3rd quarters, with the 2nd and 4th quarters being the periods where West Coast were able to pile on consecutive goals. Regardless of what I thought to to scandalous umpiring, the Suns were outmatched.

Who wins this? Despite the media predicting that the Lions would have a bounce this year, they've gone backwards. The Suns playing 4 games away from home has brought them back to the ground after winning in Cairns and Melbourne. It will be a cracking game and I reckon both coaches field different sides.

Suns by 32

Well guys you did get spanked also 80 pts isn't far from 93 so we both have a huge challenge this week
Both of us need to show a response so will be interesting who hurts the most

We both need to show something as the jackels from Victoria are out for both of us just look at lynch, hope he stays by the way ! Qld footy needs to be the winner

Ainsworth should miss with that concussion.
So im thinking,
Out:
Ainsworth
Rischatelli
Holman

IN:
BARLOW
Wigg
Brodie

I'll swing the axe.

Out
Holman
Rischitelli
Sexton
Ainsworth (concussion)

In
Barlow
Brodie
Lonergan
Wigg (only if Ainsworth is ruled out)

3 pretty slow ins is my biggest concern. But adds some toughness around the contest

I'll swing the axe.

Out
Holman
Rischitelli
Sexton
Ainsworth (concussion)

In
Barlow
Brodie
Lonergan
Wigg (only if Ainsworth is ruled out)

3 pretty slow ins is my biggest concern. But adds some toughness around the contest
Really drops our forward line pressure losing all 3.

Really drops our forward line pressure losing all 3.
Holman, Sexton and Ainsworth? I wouldn't drop Ainsworth. With those 3 (Barlow, Brodie, Lonergan) rotating through the midfield would allow touk to play more of that fwd defensive role. And Brodie/Barlow could also bring fwd pressure.

I'm just a little disappointed in Sexton. He's teased for a couple of years now, has all the attributes but just ain't delivering

Holman, Sexton and Ainsworth? I wouldn't drop Ainsworth. With those 3 (Barlow, Brodie, Lonergan) rotating through the midfield would allow touk to play more of that fwd defensive role. And Brodie/Barlow could also bring fwd pressure.

I'm just a little disappointed in Sexton. He's teased for a couple of years now, has all the attributes but just ain't delivering
For what it's worth, Sexton is tied for second most goals this year. (With Jacky Martin)

For what it's worth, Sexton is tied for second most goals this year. (With Jacky Martin)
As small forward he and Ainsworth apply no tackle against West Coast and score only one goal each . If you can't score at least apply pressure . Lynch as tall ( i could understand , as he provide a target and score 3 goal) .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Home game for Brisbane
Brisbane desperate for a win
Brisbane tends to lift for this game more than we do
Losers season is in the toilet

Whatever club loses this game will be under major pressure

The BF board for the loser will go into meltdown
We’ve had promising starts to the season get destroyed by Brisbane before and then had the joint go down the gurgler.

This is the season defining match.
Stuart Dew this week needs to prove his coaching credentials both tactically and in his ability to lift and motivate.

Get out your streamers and decorate the house with Suns colours because this my friends is Grand Final week.

I think ainsworth might miss as a precaution to that concussion. This probably saves sexton.

Hoping that the 18 on the field bring constant pressure, a bit like weeks 1 and 2 and for a fair chunk of week 3.
If we don't up the pressure stakes, will need a lot of other things to go right to beat the Lions.
Will be a super interesting midfield battle.

I'd bring in Barlow and Brodie and drop Rischitelli and Holman.

Move Fiorini down back he has some experience in there and put Brodie and Barlow into the mids.

I'd leave Sexton in. I didn't see the game on the weekend against the Eagles but he's been good for us for the first 3 weeks. He's allowed to have a down game.

I'd bring in Barlow and Brodie and drop Rischitelli and Holman.

Move Fiorini down back he has some experience in there and put Brodie and Barlow into the mids.

I'd leave Sexton in. I didn't see the game on the weekend against the Eagles but he's been good for us for the first 3 weeks. He's allowed to have a down game.

This is our biggest game in a very long time-probably in 12 months. I would not be worrying one iota about pretty football and having speed and outside run. We need every hard buggerer we have in the club.
This will be a trench warfare game.
Brisbane haven’t won all year and this is a derby.
The media fallout for the loser will be hectic.
So I’d be playing all 4 of those guys you have mentioned there Brodie, Barlow, Rischitelli and Holman.

I’d be dropping Hall and one other. Ainsworth if the concussion tests fails and if he can play probably McPherson but I’m a weather vane on that one I can be easily convinced otherwise.

I’m in panic stations this week, I’m sure this is huge to Brisbane but on our board it appears to be just another game and it makes me worried that is what’s happening at Bond Uni too.

If anyone is inside the club can you enlighten me on whether or not they are making this game a bit of a “mini GF”??

This is our biggest game in a very long time-probably in 12 months. I would not be worrying one iota about pretty football and having speed and outside run. We need every hard buggerer we have in the club.
This will be a trench warfare game.
Brisbane haven’t won all year and this is a derby.
The media fallout for the loser will be hectic.
So I’d be playing all 4 of those guys you have mentioned there Brodie, Barlow, Rischitelli and Holman.

I’d be dropping Hall and one other. Ainsworth if the concussion tests fails and if he can play probably McPherson but I’m a weather vane on that one I can be easily convinced otherwise.

I’m in panic stations this week, I’m sure this is huge to Brisbane but on our board it appears to be just another game and it makes me worried that is what’s happening at Bond Uni too.

If anyone is inside the club can you enlighten me on whether or not they are making this game a bit of a “mini GF”??
Well on one of the afl.com.au articles it said the squad has Monday and Tuesday off post Perth trip. doubt you'd do that in a GF week.
However would definitely not go all in on the slow/inside guys. all that will mean is we win the ball on the inside then have noone to get it out to, and getting killed on the turnover when we cant keep up with the quicker players on the other side.
- I'd like to see Barlow in for Touk,

- The next best available small forward for Ainsworth - preferably someone that understands crumbing, was pretty clear at the game on the weekend that our existing small forwards either don't understand the concept or aren't interested in it. (Maybe their KPI's too skewed towards pressure/tackles?) Compare the front and centre goals from Lecras and Cripps. compared to our lack of presence at T Lynch's feet.

- If we have a second forward per above, would like to see them in for Macpherson, the guys a midfielder, and unfortunately simply not big enough to play a mid at AFL level. not seen anything to tell me he has the toolbox to make it as a small forward.

- Also think Spencer has to be part of this team on a regular basis, need that flexible sized lockdown player. probably for Riska.

- Holman saved by the fact I wouldn't want to be changing five guys, and i don't think there's another better option for his role.

If you look at Hawthorn yesterday they personify what we are missing
4 or 5 players who regularly get amongst the goals
Roughead Rioli(not so much yesterday) Breust Smith Gunston Puopolo- no-one's going to be surprised if any of those guys step up with a 4 or 5 goal match
Other than Lynch, who in our Club's career has kicked 5 goals in a match?
Maybe Matera, Ah Chee??
And before anyone gets super excited about Callum lets not forget he's kicked 21 goals in 30 games and 11 of those came in 4 matches
So 10 in the other 26

Last edited:
If you look at Hawthorn yesterday they personify what we are missing
4 or 5 players who regularly get amongst the goals
Roughead Rioli(not so much yesterday) Breust Smith Gunston Puopolo- no-one's going to be surprised if any of those guys step up with a 4 or 5 goal match
Other than Lynch, who in our Club's career has kicked 5 goals in a match?
Maybe Matera, Ah Chee??
And before anyone gets super excited about Callum lets not forget he's kicked 21 goals in 30 games and 11 of those came in 4 matches
Full List,
Lynch x8
*Dixon x3
*Bennell x1
*Matera x1
Wright x1 (part of the reason I don't think he's walk up best 22)
*Krakour x1
Ah Chee x1
Hall x1

*Not on list currently
Again more evidence that what our team is missing is forwards not midfielders.

In: Brodie, Barlow
Out:Rischa, Macpherson

If Ainsworth doesn't get up swap him with macpherson.

Lots under performed last week but guys like Holman and Sexton deserve another go because of there strong starts to the season. Would like to bring in someone like Dawson but not sure he's ready and I don't want to go down the Longeran route again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 5 vs Brisbane at the Gabba, Sunday Afternoon, 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back