Preview Round 5 vs Brisbane at the Gabba, Sunday Afternoon, 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

TOM Lynch says Gold Coast can’t rely on the emotion surrounding the upcoming QClash won’t be enough to lift the Suns out of a slump and back into form.

Gold Coast have returned from a 10-day trip to Western Australia without any premiership points following losses to Fremantle and West Coast that have put them at 2-2 after four games.

Coach Stuart Dew said the 21.13 (139) to 9.5 (59) loss to the Eagles on Saturday has put players spots at risk heading into a Round 5 game where they will meet a Brisbane Lions outfit desperate to secure their first win of the season against their rivals.

QClash games have a reputation for bringing out the best in both teams despite form but Lynch said the Suns don’t see the emotional encounter as the answer.

“You can’t play with emotion the whole time,” Lynch said.

“We were really disappointed with our performance (on Saturday). We got off to a good start in the first two weeks but our pressure has dropped.

“The tackling was one of the positives to come from the first two games but it’s fallen away.

“We will start there and get those numbers up. We always look forward to the QClash and we don’t like losing to Brisbane.”

Lynch rolled his ankle in a marking contest in the third quarter of Saturday’s loss and received treatment before returning to the field.

The co-captain said he was confident he would be available for Sunday’s clash at the Gabba.

The key forward revealed the playing group and coaches had a blunt discussion in the moments after the game at Optus Stadium where individuals took ownership of their performances.

“We had a pretty honest and open chat after the game,” Lynch said.

“It was pretty thorough and everyone was fairly honest. I think we got a lot out of it to turn it around this week.

“A number of guys put their hand up and said individually they didn’t do what was required as a team and that’s what we are about.

“We had complete ownership from the playing group and we didn’t shy away from it. You can’t hide from an 80-point loss.”

I'm sorry
Is this article from this year, 2017,2016 or 2015........
Haven't we had these "leadership""ownership""honest""frank"discussions before?
I've never seen them achieve anything
Ever
hawthorn never seems to need them
they only get belted by 80 points, one in every 100 games...so it's parked and ignored pretty quickly.

People changing two quick small forwards or fast players such as hall are stupid choices imo. On the weekend we didn’t lose contested ball by much, we didn’t lose clearances we won them. What we got smashed on was the outside and our defensive pressure disappeared. We need quick players to be able to move the ball and work back on defence

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also looking at the stats for the year we are number one or in the top 5 in the hard stuff such as tackles, clearances and kicks. But we average 10 more clangers then any other team. We are the worst hand balling team in the comp, and don’t use our hands at the contest to free up teammates. Our disposal efficiency is also horrendous and the worst in the league. Of course we need to bring our tackles and pressure up to where they were in the first 2 weeks, but we need to get the god damn basics of hitting a target and hand balling right first

People changing two quick small forwards or fast players such as hall are stupid choices imo. On the weekend we didn’t lose contested ball by much, we didn’t lose clearances we won them. What we got smashed on was the outside and our defensive pressure disappeared. We need quick players to be able to move the ball and work back on defence

Turnovers also killed us, 9 goals from them.

If Ainsworth is coming out, it's only for concussion. Way too much upside and potential to be playing NEAFL and he's hardly our worst performed.

Wouldn't mind seeing Powell get a game this week. Of all weeks to blood a player who's potentially a little undersized it's against Carlton/Brisbane

Disagree on both statements (sortof)
If Ainsworth is coming out, it's only for concussion. Way too much upside and potential to be playing NEAFL and he's hardly our worst performed.
The upside and potential shouldnt be considered. what keeps him in the team is the not worst performed part. (well that and as far as i can tell is there are no forwards shooting the lights out in the 2s. if there were he should be dropped concussion or not.)

Wouldn't mind seeing Powell get a game this week. Of all weeks to blood a player who's potentially a little undersized it's against Carlton/Brisbane
No. these guys should get a game when and only when they are the next best available player. Give them games before that and they don't appreciate them/potentially develop a sense of entitlement. Don't play players for the sake of 'experience' etc.
Also our team is not much better than Carlton Brisbane, cant afford to mess around with taking an artificially weakened team.

hey guys, wasnt sure where to post this.
with my silver membership I get 4 suns passes - are they just GA entry or are they equivalent to my existing seating (which is top tier)?
I would think theyre general admission. So its $10 for a GA ticket or you could probably pay more to upgrade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone going up to the game? Thinking i will. Havent had a footy fix for over a year. Whats this members bus thing it says in the email. Train would be easier surely.

I would think theyre general admission. So its $10 for a GA ticket or you could probably pay more to upgrade.
yeh figured so.
shame as I would have to pay if I am bringing friends along as I would want them to sit with me.
id prefer the option of 2 seats where I sit rather than 4 GA...
oh well

Anyone going up to the game? Thinking i will. Havent had a footy fix for over a year. Whats this members bus thing it says in the email. Train would be easier surely.
yeh I am with my two boys - shame its sunday twilight and not Saturday - will be late back on coast and kids have school next day...
I might drive so they can sleep in car on way back if they want.

Disagree on both statements (sortof)

The upside and potential shouldnt be considered. what keeps him in the team is the not worst performed part. (well that and as far as i can tell is there are no forwards shooting the lights out in the 2s. if there were he should be dropped concussion or not.)
I would be dropping Macpherson before I dropped Ainsworth. Better physical attributes, reads the game better and has already shown he can kick bags

No. these guys should get a game when and only when they are the next best available player. Give them games before that and they don't appreciate them/potentially develop a sense of entitlement. Don't play players for the sake of 'experience' etc.
Also our team is not much better than Carlton Brisbane, cant afford to mess around with taking an artificially weakened team.
Not saying he should just be gifted a game obviously, but he was emergency last week and as far as I can tell he has performed well enough to deserve a spot, he simply is just not ready physically to play AFL week in week out. Giving him his first opportunity against a younger side where he wont be beaten up as much would be beneficial for him and for us

These points are why he should be dropped

I see what you did there, but we need he’s outside run to help win games

I'm not sure his outside run had ever won us a game. We've played good games as a team previously, and he has coasted nicely downhill to reap the rewards.

In my opinion, he costs us more by being a completely unaccountable footballer. I'd rather a slower player that plays it hard.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I would be dropping Macpherson before I dropped Ainsworth. Better physical attributes, reads the game better and has already shown he can kick bags

Not saying he should just be gifted a game obviously, but he was emergency last week and as far as I can tell he has performed well enough to deserve a spot, he simply is just not ready physically to play AFL week in week out. Giving him his first opportunity against a younger side where he wont be beaten up as much would be beneficial for him and for us
He would only have been named emergency because it was convenient and they have to name so many players, and they had to send Crossley back to QLD due to injury to Nicholls, and Hanley out injured obviously. In fact choosing him makes me think he's further away from in the team. the guys on the cusp they would want staying match fit in the 2's - except your primary emergency (the legit emergency)
Convenient to send him over as would have been the kids only chance to visit family (except maybe the bye weekend) until the end of season. as Suns aren't going back to WA this year.

I'm sorry
Is this article from this year, 2017,2016 or 2015........
Haven't we had these "leadership""ownership""honest""frank"discussions before?
I've never seen them achieve anything
Ever
hawthorn never seems to need them
This is a really good point, talk is cheap now.

I'm not sure his outside run had ever won us a game. We've played good games as a team previously, and he has coasted nicely downhill to reap the rewards.

In my opinion, he costs us more by being a completely unaccountable footballer. I'd rather a slower player that plays it hard.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
There aren't many wins since Hall was drafted that he wasn't involved in;
2012 Hall player 8 games for 2 wins and 6 losses, Suns went 1 win and 13 losses without him
2013 Hall played full season, Suns went 8 and 14.
2014 Hall played 16 games winning 9, losing 7; Suns went 1 and 5 without him
2015 Hall played 15 games winning 3, drawing 1, losing 11; Suns went 1 and 6 without him
2016 Hall played 17 games winning 5, losing 12; Suns went 1 and 4 without him
2017 Hall played 19 games winning 5, losing 14; Suns went 1 and 2 without him

In short, the Suns have only ever won 8 matches without Hall and that's counting the inaugural season that he didn't even play in. We don't want to be that team that can't win without a certain player, but we have been for 7 seasons and I haven't seen anything to suggest that this will change soon. We can't win without May or Lynch either yet neither of them is being talked about in this way.

If you're gonna badmouth Aaron Hall, be prepared to back it up. I could argue that he's the greatest player we have, but it would be bulldust. But so is asserting that the team would be better off without him when clearly it hasn't been. He had a bad day against the Dockers and was clearly better against the Eagles. If he gets dropped it would be wrong because there are plenty of players performing below his level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 5 vs Brisbane at the Gabba, Sunday Afternoon, 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back