Autopsy Round 7 - Liked, Hated, Learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
No thread thusfar so I thought I might as well.

Liked: Winning

Hated: Yet another hamstring injury. Appointing the two fitness guys from when Brisbane were destroyed by soft tissues in 2015 (just because one of them was in the old boys club) ... not a great idea.

Learnt:
West Coast are actually quite good. Almost certain to make the eight now and will give top 4 a shake - remarkabke given their trajectory in 2016 and 17.

Richmond aren't just sitting at the top, they're far out in front of the competition. Hard to see them missing top 2, which means a home qualifying final. And yet we were also flying at roughly the same time last year - Richmond are the team to beat but a few sides will be fancying their chances.

Liked: winning. Hopefully getting some players back soon.

Hated: Most of the footy this round was pretty ordinary. About 5 games with a 6 to 10 goal margin. Turned a lot of the matches off half way through, or just watched bits and pieces.

Learnt: Hawkins is even dumber than I thought.

Ditto. And the commentators. Classing it in the same category as accidentally bumping into a umpire is ridiculous. Bruce was the only 1 that challenged the boys club on it that were trying to protect Hawkins. Clear deliberate action, straight to the tribunal. 4 weeks easy based on the past. But Geelong. So maybe 2 tops.

#viccobias

Last edited:
Hated: Yet another hamstring injury. Appointing the two fitness guys from when Brisbane were destroyed by soft tissues in 2015 (just because one of them was in the old boys club) ... not a great idea.

Typical Adelaide. Let's poach our fitness department from one of the worst outfits in the entire league. What could possibly go wrong?

Liked: contested marking in the RICH v FRE game (particularly Fyfe's)

Hated: incorrect disposal not being paid (so many throws)

Learnt: Andrew Brayshaw will be a good player

Liked: mmmmmmm

Hang on I'm struggling with this.

North putting on a display of tough footy against a side known for it and getting the points.

I enjoyed the Suns Bulldogs game, underrated spectacle in my view. The Suns deserve respect this year and Dew seems to be doing what he's paid for.

Learnt: A footy season has great wins and terrible losses, actually I knew it but it was a timely reminder.

Hated: The negativity from some of our supporters. We have it pretty good with a team that's been in contention for the last couple of years. It was tough in the early years but there was always the probability we had the talent to rise.
Sometimes a bit of blind faith from supporters is no bad thing in my view.

Liked: winning after losing Shuey in opening 3 minutes.

Learned : The Eagles 'blue collar' midfield isnt as bad as 99% of people thought. Won the midfield battle convincingly without their four best clearance mids from last year. No Shuey, Sheed, Priddis or Mitchell.

Liked
Collingwood's last scramble to just win over a very promising Brisbane line up. So much to take out of that game for both teams
North proving the doubters wrong and announcing themselves as a worthy top 8 member
West Coast making their new stadium their own and surprising the football world with their hard nosed game style
Geelong regaining their home ground dominance and putting GWS back in their box
Richmonds consistent last quarter dominance and gaining more percentage
Hawthorns pressure and goal chains.

Learned
The AFL are over adjudicating goal line decisions, either missing the obvious or making decisions when the vision is unclear. It should only be used when the evidence is 100% clear and the decision made immediately not after 20 replays.
Carlton supporters will have a year of pain but should not become disillusioned considering the talent and age of their team.
Essendon need to drop Jo. He is so far off his game that he is now a hindrance to the teams chances. He needs to regain some confidence in the 2's.
Freo have one of the best ruck/mid duo in the competition. Sandilands and Ffye are incredible. They doubled Richmonds hitouts and clearances. Now they need to convert that into a winning score.

Hated
All the negative talk about the state of the game. Teams are trying to find a winning formula and are focusing purely on the defensive aspects. This will evolve and teams will realise that their needs to be a balance. We don't need to make whole sale changes. Its more about players and sides settling on a game plan that works. Until then their will be a lot of ugly/defensive games. It's also why Richmond is flying at the moment because they have the defensive/offensive balance other teams are missing.
Injures to players like Pendlebury and Prestia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked - Dogs young team continues to gel. Naughton and Young sound like a law firm, but could be the Doggies key defenders for the next decade.

Hated - 6,800 at Ballarat. WB members have to pay extra for GA tickets - not good enough.

Learnt - The Suns are a much better team under Stewie Dew, and if not for being forced to play all over the countryside because of the Comm Games, would probably be sitting inside the top 8. All the travel is really affecting them in last quarters as they fatigue.

Liked.
Mason Wood - This guy has the talent, if only he could stay on the park long enough to get some confidence and consistency we might have a decent forward line that can trouble to the top teams.
Jed Anderson - One of the AFL's most improved players this season, his handballs in traffic are becoming a real feature of his game.

Hated.
Richmond - They look a class above everyone this season and we have them next weekend.

Learnt.
NMFC can compete with the better teams and hopefully we can show some of that promise again this weekend.

Last edited:
Liked
North Melbourne. Proving the doubters (including me) wrong.
Jack Macrae
The high scoring Lions-Pies game
Nat Fyfe
Jack Graham

Hated
Goal reviews

Learned
Nat Fyfe is the best player in the comp.
West Coast are the real deal.

Liked- WCE juggernaut rolls on, bucking the trend of mosquito fleet forward lines with kennedy /darling / waterman killing it. Next 3 weeks will tell the footy world if the eagles are a serious threat to Richmond.

Learned- GWS without their prime movers have no depth, have a lot of outside heroes who are lost when nobody is is handing them the pill through contested work. Patton is an embarrassment for a bloke with his attributes.

Willie RIOLI is the next big thing, smart tough skilled player who just needs a couple pre seasons to develop a 4 quarter engine. He is a star.

Richmond developing that trait of all good teams where they can be off for 2/3 quarters and just flick a switch and dominate.

Melbourne have a lot of soft front running campaigners who try real hard and look a million bucks when playing weak opposition, they are not a threat to any team with a hard edge whatsoever. Great to see Angus Brayshaw back though, he is an exception.

Hated- Brissie not getting the win, played a great competitive attacking game against a team far superior. Great application and intensity by the whole team, they are not far off.

St Kilda look absolutely cooked & disinterested, pi$$weak attacks on the footy, selling team mates into trouble time and time again, no apparent game plan, just handball and kick at random to whoever is nearby.

Channel 7 commentary team, if i hear BT say LLLLLLuuuaaooooooooooooooiiiyyydd one more time i will lose the plot, Bruce Mc sexual harassment of Esava Ratagolia (wrong spelling) was utter cringe as well, you could almost hear his erection whenever he started to talk about the big cats body shape FFS. Just a bunch of incompetent has bins trying to stay relevant and feed each others ginormous egos.

Liked:
Getting a win even if it was Carlton
McGovern finding some form while forward. Hands were back.
Gold Coast finally employing a coach that will improve the kids/team and not a father-figure supervisor.
North's fairy tale story continues...that's how you become an attractive destination club.
Fyfe's game. Its great to have him, dusty, danger, buddy as the top 4 players in the comp but also some of the best entertainers.
Ports recruiting (and their subsequent fan gloating) has been a massive backfire. You just cant go and get a couple of inconsistent mid range players and expect to eliminate inconsistent mid range performances.

Disliked:
Overumpiring
Soft tissue injuries
Hawkins touching the umpire. Dont care if it was soft, cant happen

Learnt:
Essendon are a basket case. Given their recruiting, age and good first couple of wins they have gone to water.
Sydney are in real trouble too. The older guys look done...even if they have returned to a bit of form in the last couple of weeks.
Jack McRae is underrated. IMO Bont has never been better than him.

Liked: Fyfe, freak.
North, superb effort. I got them wrong, good side.

Hated: Players, whilst the game is still in progress, arms out asking for the umps to look at them and give the a free. All clubs have players that do it, to my eye Geelong seem to have the most (Danger, Kelly and Hawkins in 1st qtr alone this week), and pissed to see Shane Edwards do it yesterday. Stop it, play the whistle, all of you.

Learnt: I suspected it, but confirmed for me. Currently, you bring consistent pressure to Essendon, they crack. When they play on their terms they look slick, but otherwise, bleh. The talent is clearly there. The issue may take a while to fix.

Liked: Richmond smashing Fremantle despite the absolutely craptastic kicking for goal.
Nat Fyfe, what a superstar!

Learnt: North should finish top 8, they’re a lot better than people give them credit for.
West Coast are a brilliant team and I just love watching them play.

Hated: Injuries to players all over the league.
Richmond’s goal kicking.
St Kilda, Essendon and Carlton. I’ve started avoiding all of their games. All three need to get their crap together.

Liked - Geelong. They lost that game last week, which could cost them. They bounced back and won with ease showing why they are club with great culture and top end leaders.

North Melbourne - They just keep winning. If Richmond cant this year, I hope they do.

Hated - The South Morang train line was down, resulting in a 2 hour bus tour of the northern suburbs and thus late to the game. #firstworldproblems

Like; have not play near our best footy of 2017 but if we held on in the last quarter against Essendon in R1
We would have the same record after R7 as 2017.

Dislike; injury list

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7 - Liked, Hated, Learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back